Author Topic: omaha ice  (Read 5438 times)

Offline ryanp

• IceShanty Rookie
omaha ice
« on: Jan 29, 2015, 08:58 PM »
I was wondering if there is any good ice around omaha

Offline Ford4life

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: omaha ice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2015, 06:12 AM »
Yesterday all the farm ponds I seen down here by Syracuse were completely open. :(

Offline castalot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2015, 06:26 AM »
No good ice.  You can launch a boat on some lakes.

Offline nate95366

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2015, 08:19 AM »
Walnut Creek (Papillion) is open all the way from the dam to the islands, so it's one of the places you could launch a boat at.  However, there is (really really bad) ice on the southwest arm.  I wouldn't recommend walking on it though, unless you're a goose, at which point you'll fit right in.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2015, 06:16 PM »
Thanks for the walnut creek update. I was going out to look tomorrow, now I can just grab some minnows and take my crappie rod.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline nate95366

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2015, 09:27 PM »
Looked again at Walnut Creek on my way home tonight - a bit has skimmed back up on the west side of the lake, but there were waves there yesterday (Thursday).  Should be able to fish open water from the jetties on the east side if not from the dock.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2015, 09:40 PM »
Looking at the forecast going to have some pretty low temps. We may still get some ice!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Fishbane

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2015, 09:22 AM »
With the cold weather coming in, how long does it usually take to ice back up?

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2015, 09:55 AM »
Depends on how low they go. Also the wind plays into it. If the low temps continue through next week we should have good ice later in the week. Around the 10th.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Sharkbait

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 31, 2015, 10:37 AM »
This website might help... Lake Ice - Ice growth
http://lakeice.squarespace.com/ice-growth/.
Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth (Mike Tyson)

Offline nate95366

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2015, 11:33 AM »
The main issue that we have with icing back up at this point (although the upcoming week of forecast temps look good) is that every day there's a little bit more and more daylight and a slightly higher sun angle on the ice.  The sun especially warms up the bottom in the shallower areas and shorelines, and that makes ice access difficult even when the temps seem like good freezing and ice building should be happening.

I haven't put my gear away yet, but I think it's going to be an uphill climb for me to get back on the ice in the Omaha area again this season.  I'd like to say I'm going to drive north, but 4 little kids and their schedules and such are most likely saying otherwise...

Nate

Offline DesertRed

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2015, 05:04 PM »
My neighbor sent me pics of 3 ice huts on Cunningham today (Saturday)....be safe out there!!!!

Offline ranger66

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 01, 2015, 09:17 PM »
I'm holding out hope but we will be lucky to see good strong ice again? Just came back from Okoboji yesterday and fishing was agonizingly slow since last Thursday. With no more vacation days left... Trips north don't look likely for me either Nate!
-Steve

Offline knots

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2015, 08:01 PM »
Drove out to Standing Bear this afternoon. Looks like it has just iced over with a thin sheet of ice....definitely not safe imo.  Hopefully, the temperatures will stay below freezing this week.   

Offline Mike daSilva

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2015, 09:08 AM »
Anybody have recent updates? Thinking about going out this afternoon (with my life jacket, picks and spud bar.)

Offline Sharkbait

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 03, 2015, 06:17 PM »
this was around 3 bells at lowance youngman 2 1/4"  little on the unsafe side if u ask me..
Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth (Mike Tyson)

Offline nate95366

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 03, 2015, 08:05 PM »
Thanks for the picture Sharkbait. I haven't wandered down to check Walnut Creek out yet, but a lot of it was open up until a few days ago as well, and so I would guess that quite a bit of the recently locked-up section is similar.  Waiting a few more days...

Nate

Offline Mike daSilva

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 03, 2015, 09:01 PM »
Nate, see my post on NEFGA.  WC south bay was 3-4" on the "white ice," which shaved surprisingly well, but was only 1.5" or so in the center.  Main lake nearing 2".  Should be helped by the -10* overnight low forecast for tomorrow.  The fishing was decent, nothing crazy, but a lot of fun.

Offline nate95366

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 03, 2015, 09:53 PM »
Thanks Mike - I saw your post at the other place too.  Living near the lake as I do, I stop by and take a look even on days when there's no time to get out, and this year so far I've seen basically nobody fishing south/west of the islands (a stray group or two maybe on a weekend).  When I fish that area (so far not this year yet, but other years), it's always been a minimalist thing because there's rarely enough snow to nicely get a sled down from the parking lot, but I suppose this weekend's storm changed the equation on that.

Glad you found some fish and thanks for the report - I think I'll be out to check the ice on Friday.  I always have a PFD on, spikes around the neck, rope, s pud bar and the whole 9 yards, but the caution-meter even goes up a bit more when it's the 3rd freeze-over of the season.  Hoping for 5" or so and a couple more end-of-season trips.

Offline Ford4life

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 12, 2015, 06:58 AM »
I don't know,about anyone else but thinking this cold snap may get us back on the hard water everything I went by was locked up

Offline nate95366

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 12, 2015, 10:02 AM »
I don't know,about anyone else but thinking this cold snap may get us back on the hard water everything I went by was locked up

Everything has been "locked up" for 2 weeks or so now, but that doesn't mean it's thick enough yet.  I am planning on heading back out at least to Walnut Creek (a few blocks from where I live) to check thickness this weekend, but I'm not incredibly hopeful.  The sun angle alone, regardless of air temperature, is enough at this time of year around here to start softening the edges in the shallows at any rate.

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 12, 2015, 10:23 AM »
Daryl Bauer
Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
[email protected]
http://neblandvm.outdoornebraska.gov/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Offline DakotaAngler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 12, 2015, 11:07 AM »
I drove by Wanahoo yesterday. There were large areas of open water in the middle of the lake, with ice around the edges that was in various stages of re-freezing. In my opinion, if the lake does cap again, the ice would be a patchwork of various depths and would be extremely dangerous.

Offline blacktruck121212

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 20, 2015, 09:00 PM »
Any updates for lakes around Omaha, looking to go to Youngman this weekend. Any help would be great thanks.

Offline WItransplant

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 20, 2015, 10:03 PM »
I was out on a 2 acre pond today and there was an inch of white and 4-5 inches of clean ice. It is a sheltered And small pond. I'm hoping the next week yields some cold weather.

Offline nate95366

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 21, 2015, 08:55 AM »
Just checked Walnut Creek.

Do NOT access the ice from the boat ramp, and in general don't attempt north of the islands.  That part of the lake was just open a few days ago and is now freshly re-frozen, but only 1" of ice.  I was through with 1 "pop" of the spud bar.

The southwest arm, however (south and west of the islands), is cautiously fishable - I measured 6 to 7" of ice from the northern shore (most easily accessible shore from the "upper" parking lot) out toward the middle (creek channel) area.

But be careful!

Nate

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #26 on: Feb 22, 2015, 09:22 AM »
Thanks for the update. Getting off work early tomorrow. Did you get any fishing done?
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline flyfishing4life

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 22, 2015, 09:36 PM »
5 1/4 inches of new clear ice on parts of standing bear.  I would say about 3/4 of the lake was this thick.

Offline nate95366

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 22, 2015, 09:38 PM »
I fished Saturday from about 9am to 1pm on the southwest arm of Walnut Creek Lake.  For a guy with a 6" hand auger, I was in "drill baby drill" mode.  I generally do not ice fish that part of the lake because I usually access the ice from the boat ramp. So Saturday was like fishing a new lake in a lot of ways.  Found fish right away, but it seemed like 1 per hole and then I'd have to move along.  Probably drilled 30-40 holes, which is several times more than I would normally drill in a 4 hour outing at this particular lake.  Put my seat in the back of the sled, pulled up to a hole and fished it for a few minutes, moved on to the next...

Good to get back out again!

I'm sure there are a few small areas on that southwest arm that may be thinner, but everywhere I went I found a good 6-7" of ice.  There is a "color change" zone of ice, and I found thickness to be about the same on either side.

Offline blacktruck121212

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 27, 2015, 09:50 AM »
Any Info on Cunningham or Youngman? Much appreciated!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.