Author Topic: Rotten ice at Cherry Creek  (Read 1363 times)

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Rotten ice at Cherry Creek
« on: Jan 29, 2015, 04:12 PM »
 :o, Found out this morning my manager at GM, went through over deep water yesterday,  He had checked the ice in the morning, and figured he would be able to fish on it.  So he went prepared, wearing his PFD, and made sure he had his picks on, set out to his spot.  Checking ice on his way out, had drilled 2 holes with his hand auger, and was drilling a third, and heard, BOOM, ice he was standing on began to sink.  He tried to toss his auger toward his sled, but didn't make it so all that was lost was the auger. He used his picks to get back up in the ice.
Bud

Offline RangerEdgren

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Rotten ice at Cherry Creek
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2015, 12:09 AM »
glad he's ok. There goes that plan for this weekend. stay safe IFF

Offline Sawtooth

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2015, 05:59 AM »
OUCH!  Glad he made it out OK, but a scary tale.  Glad I got to see CC last week when it was still fairly solid.   I'm sticking to the high mountains for the foreseeable future.
There is no such thing as bad weather - only bad clothing.

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2015, 08:09 AM »
There was a story on Ch 7 news last night about a rescue @ CC. Wonder if there was another one yesterday too?

Offline PerchFace

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2015, 08:11 AM »
almost got that promotion........
Gunna freak fish out through the ice this year

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2015, 10:00 AM »
Dang --- not cool.  Yeah, after our gathering last week, I was pretty much sure that ice was going to be rotten.  Glad he got out ok.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2015, 10:46 AM »
yeah, that's two, Wednesday and Thursday after noon's  I posted a LAKE ALERT, on FxR.  Looks like icing metro for this year is history. 
Bud

Offline DanDANthefisherman1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Live to fish
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2015, 12:24 PM »
My buddy is out fishing Chatty right now !

Offline bgflys

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2015, 10:16 PM »
Someone went thru today. DPW got to him and got him out. Not worth it!

"B"

Offline Mountain Maggot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting for the next Ice Age
« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2015, 09:38 AM »
Well that explains why there were about 10 Park Ranger trucks speeding around yesterday like chickens with their heads cut off.  It was about noon while the wife and I were spotting eagles.  Never saw where they went I'm but presume it was on the east side.  Glad he made it.

There were 4 ice fisherman close to shore yesterday...all close in on the west side.  Two were by the shore out of the lake loop parking lot early but there at least until 2pm.  Two were setting up off the point north of the boat ramp.  This group was out about 100 yards from shore.

The surface of the water on the west side is refrozen snow turned to ice and a milkey white color.  Didn't have my spud or auger so I don't know the thickness. Air temperature yesterday at the lake hovered around 32 degrees.

We got between 4-6 inches of snow last night a mile from the lake where I live.  This is a good and bad situation.  On the plus side the snow will allow the lake to refreeze and the ice could get thicker.  However on the negative side, it will give folks a false sense of safe thickness.

DO NOT venture anywhere near the east side or near the tower!!!  If you do have the itch, stay close to shore on the west side near the parking areas.  Do not venture out alone and make sure you us a spud and have PDFs, hand spikes, ropes and a whistle.

If you don't have at least 4 inches, go home, as white ice is not as strong as clear ice and the thickness can change radically in a short distance.  Maybe watching the Superbowl is a better plan today.  Remember that skim ice can hold snow and will look no different than possible safe ice.  STAY SAFE !!!

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2015, 09:56 AM »
Good advise right there.
Bud

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #11 on: Feb 01, 2015, 10:59 AM »
Agreed, good advice MM -  its just not worth the risk.  Especially to fish at a place that has been slow to dead all season.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 01, 2015, 11:52 AM »
Wow, 3 people falling through with in the week  :o! You'd think the park would just close the lake, you know, save us from ourselves  ;)2

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Feb 01, 2015, 12:16 PM »
Wow, 3 people falling through with in the week  :o! You'd think the park would just close the lake, you know, save us from ourselves  ;)2
Like this idea.
<===Lefty===

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.