Author Topic: weed killer.  (Read 4516 times)

Offline skyrider

• IceShanty Rookie
weed killer.
« on: Jan 29, 2015, 03:45 PM »
it might be time to start raising cane with the dnr about the amount of weed killer being dumped in the lakes .there going to wipe out the lower end of the food chain and then its gonna be over for the good fishing in places like adams and clear.im gonna e mail the dnr and I suggest other fisherman do the same.

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: weed killer.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2015, 03:50 PM »
lots of areas in Pine lake  are dead.........just sand...no weeds  no fish........... the camera tells it all
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2015, 04:42 PM »
Maybe its time to start hitting off shore structure such as humps, bars and deep flats. I know that its frustrating when the weed sanctuaries get kaboshed but the fish didn't grow wings and fly away! The shaded side of bars and points during the day may be the ticket if the majority of the weeds are gone. Of course, if there are big predators in the same body of water something else may be affording them cover.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2015, 05:03 PM »
Save your breath DNR could give a hoot about weeds it's an undersourced part of government anyhow. If it were up to me I'd can the whole thing turn it over to the state police. DNR pointless imo.

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2015, 05:08 PM »
Good info Marc,   Last outing we pretty much did just as you said.    Once we found out our old fishing areas were not producing. We headed straight out to the breaks...not many humps on this lake, but it sure makes it a challenge to locate them.

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2015, 05:12 PM »
Maybe its time to start hitting off shore structure such as humps, bars and deep flats. I know that its frustrating when the weed sanctuaries get kaboshed but the fish didn't grow wings and fly away! The shaded side of bars and points during the day may be the ticket if the majority of the weeds are gone. Of course, if there are big predators in the same body of water something else may be affording them cover.

There's always Christmas tree drop off centers.. Maybe put some signs out by the boat launches for state drop off recycling locations. ;D

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2015, 05:17 PM »
LOL...... the fish in this lake would love a few trees to hide in.       Added some cribs in some of my home waters long ago ....they work!

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2015, 05:49 PM »
My new neighbor put their Christmas tree behind their house.  I have been admiring it and considering going over to introduce myself and ask for their tree.  Think that would be uncalled for?

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2015, 05:56 PM »
My new neighbor put their Christmas tree behind their house.  I have been admiring it and considering going over to introduce myself and ask for their tree.  Think that would be uncalled for?
Were they home grown?  ;D

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2015, 06:08 PM »
Weeds flourish because of an abundance of nutrients. Treating the weeds with chemicals to kill them off should be just a temporary solution, if nothing else is changed.

If the weeds are gone now, chances are they will return on their own.

Offline bramabull

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2015, 06:15 PM »
Weeds flourish because of an abundance of nutrients. Treating the weeds with chemicals to kill them off should be just a temporary solution, if nothing else is changed.

If the weeds are gone now, chances are they will return on their own.

I thought that too when they killed off the prominent weed bed on Hudson lake about 5 or so years ago but it has still not come back. There are some very sparse and sporadic weeds but nothing like it was.

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2015, 06:19 PM »
   Seems a lot more common theses days to just keep killing the weeds in all the lakes ......I used to like when they cut them with a machine 5ft below the surface.   . It made really cool edges in open water to fish.    Been awhile since a weed cutter in operation.  more eco friendly.

I also think the chemicals are stronger than ever before....like a weed overdose.

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2015, 06:24 PM »
   ....like a weed overdose.
Some quotes just leave you speechless. This is definitely one of them! ;D

Offline kevs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2015, 06:29 PM »
They want to make weed legal for land dwellers but take it away from the fish. Sad  ???

Offline bramabull

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2015, 06:36 PM »
They want to make weed legal for land dwellers but take it away from the fish. Sad  ???

LOL!!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 29, 2015, 08:24 PM »

It's not legal?!!!

Offline Fishslayer81

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 29, 2015, 09:30 PM »

The fish do seem more active and willing to bite when they have their weeds.  :afro:

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 29, 2015, 09:51 PM »
The fish do seem more active and willing to bite when they have their weeds.  :afro:
I believe you mean "phish"  ;D

Offline ice57

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 30, 2015, 03:55 AM »
Venting may help, talking to DNR not the place, the DNR isn't the one that makes the call for weed control. The lake association wants little or no weeds to swim or boat. The lake association also pays for weed control and fish to stock the lake.

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 30, 2015, 06:46 AM »
Venting may help, talking to DNR not the place, the DNR isn't the one that makes the call for weed control. The lake association wants little or no weeds to swim or boat. The lake association also pays for weed control and fish to stock the lake.
My lake association has nothing to do with fish stockings. My local fishing club does.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #20 on: Jan 30, 2015, 06:47 AM »
   Seems a lot more common theses days to just keep killing the weeds in all the lakes ......I used to like when they cut them with a machine 5ft below the surface.   . It made really cool edges in open water to fish.    Been awhile since a weed cutter in operation.  more eco friendly.

agreed they should just cut them.

you guys are a riot :clap:
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline smoke_eater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 30, 2015, 06:53 AM »
Me too...lol!
Greatest quote ever "Whatcha going to do...fish your life away"...well hell yes!!!

Offline stag

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's what I do....
« Reply #22 on: Jan 30, 2015, 06:57 PM »
LOL...... the fish in this lake would love a few trees to hide in.       Added some cribs in some of my home waters long ago ....they work!
^^^THIS ^^^^^^
Duane

Offline AlgaeKilla

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 31, 2015, 06:32 AM »
Ok, I guess its time for my annual you guys are ignorant turds post. Before you go "raising cane" you should do some reading. Aside from a small individual plot for home owners all vegetation treatments on public waters must be permitted by IDNR. And despite popular uneducated opinions they are not being bribed and they do care about the fish. That is their job to protect and manage natural resources! Think about that for a minute before getting your panties call in a bunch because you have to do a little work to find fish.
1. A thorough evaluation of plant species population dynamics is conducted and evaluated prior to permitting and implementing any lake management plan. Some of which can be found on the www. You're welcome.
2. Fish, waterfowl, invertebrates, crustaceans, zooplanktoon, lake classification, and people are just some of the things considered when during the permitting process.
3. Too much vegetation causes an imbalance in the predator prey dynamic of any water body and results in stunted populations.
4. A complete lack of vegetation can do the exact same thing to some species.
5. 25% vegetation in a water body is considered a healthy balanced ecosystem and is the goal of most lake management professionals.
6. Not all plants are beneficial. Nonnatives or invasive can and will out produce and over populate creating a monoculture that destroys the balance created by native vegetation. Such imbalances can not only lead to stunting but can change the water quality,ph, nutrient and eutrophication cycles, turbidity, spawning cycles, dissolvedoxygen levels and/or actually cause catastrophic fish kills.
7. If a large scale plan is imposed it is in order to combat the aggressive nature of invasive and restore the balance of native plant population. Not so you have to drill more holes to find bluegills
8. All aquatic herbicides are registered through the EPA and 80 million dollars (on average) worth of research is conducted to establish proper use rates of both selective systemic and nonselective contact products.
8.It is a felony to use these products in any manner that is not in accordance with their label.
9. Lake associations don't have the final and only say or sway in management plans. Go to a meeting, they aren't private. Give the fisherman's perspective, the professionals want to hear it and trust me they are used to pizzing off people on both sides.
10. Finally, if you do attend a meeting or meet someone in person or even make a phone call or send an email, please for God sakes be and act educated and curious cause you are representing all of us as fisherman! And saying things like "dumping weed killer" just sounds ignorant. No offense intended to who ever said just that.
Photobucket can suck it

Offline AlgaeKilla

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 31, 2015, 07:03 AM »
One last one I forgot to mention regarding cutting weeds. Though the use of commercial harvesters certainly has its place, as a tool against Nonnative invasive species it is a terrible choice. Plants like Eurasian water milfoil easily spread through fragmentation. EWM for example can reproduce a complete plan from just a single leaf hair fragment. That being known chopping up plants and letting the wind and water carry bits and pieces all over the place is probably the fastest why to spread it.
Photobucket can suck it

Offline denhar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 31, 2015, 07:08 AM »
Algea Killer  Great post. Thanks

Offline stag

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's what I do....
« Reply #26 on: Jan 31, 2015, 07:46 AM »
I still think that some strategically placed brush piles is a great way to have a honey hole....this is the only area that I know of that doesnt really do much in regards to sinking some brush...every other place I fish around the U.S. it is common practice.
Duane

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #27 on: Jan 31, 2015, 07:57 AM »
thanks for the educated post AK.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline AlgaeKilla

• Team IceShanty Addict