Author Topic: Pachaug Advice  (Read 872 times)

Offline seaQuest

• IceShanty Rookie
Pachaug Advice
« on: Jan 29, 2015, 01:26 PM »
Hi All,

I want to try Pachaug for the first time, and was wondering if you could give me some advice as to which places to avoid (ice wise). I am not asking for "Where the fish are," I just want to know what spots to avoid so I don't go through the ice an kill myself.

Thanks!

Offline Global Warming in CT

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Pachaug Advice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2015, 01:35 PM »
If you park at the launch, head left and keep left until you're away from the dam. Don't walk too close to the dam, as there's obviously a lot of moving water there. The good news is that most of Pachaug is shallow, so if you take a swim you most likely won't be in over your head! I would think you'd be fine, but you never know so spud your way out. Good luck - I saw a pic today of a 25 pounder someone pulled out of there on Jan. 15th. Nice and fat/healthy.

Offline Pizzaparty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2015, 06:05 AM »
Much of Pachaug is over your head in depth with a 9-12 channel that runs through the middle.  Its a coastal lake, has moving water and it simliar to a river system.  Before the snow there was open water and a few pressure cracks that were very thin and that you would without a doubt go in on.  Now with snow melt water will be drawing through to dam and thinning ice from underneath in the channel area, which runs the whole place.  Spud every step especially with this snow.  2 people went in there (over their heads)  last week prior to the snow. 

Offline Global Warming in CT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2015, 09:46 AM »
Good info pizzaparty. If you're set on going to Pachaug this weekend, I would avoid walking on at the boat launch if possible and stick to coves that are shallower and don't have as much moving water.

Offline Jessox80

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "The malevolent aged grin..."- Hughes
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2015, 05:03 PM »
Much of Pachaug is over your head in depth with a 9-12 channel that runs through the middle.  Its a coastal lake, has moving water and it simliar to a river system.  Before the snow there was open water and a few pressure cracks that were very thin and that you would without a doubt go in on.  Now with snow melt water will be drawing through to dam and thinning ice from underneath in the channel area, which runs the whole place.  Spud every step especially with this snow.  2 people went in there (over their heads)  last week prior to the snow.

Great advice here.
Pike fishing is a like a cruel mistress that is too beautiful to leave.

Offline Pizzaparty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2015, 05:16 PM »
Thanks guys.  We got spoiled last year with 12-15"+ ice in many places that never get more than 6" in a normal season.  We all got in the habit last year of walking everywhere like we owned the place with no worries of falling through. 

Offline icechaser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2015, 05:20 PM »
YES-Thanks-ANY riverine impoundment that experienced the storm will be very dicey going with many cracks+unsafe areas:-Pachaug-Mansfield:Lillinonah:even Hamlin-ANY lake or impoundment with a river current flowing through it will have experienced stress+breakage during this storm=Spud it: buddy it:+keep it safe-look at the deep bathymetry maps for your intended waterbody-stay away from the depths-try to keep to coves+backwaters away from the riverine flow-these areas "should" have the thickest+safest ice.-

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.