The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Non-resident requesting advice on southern Vermont  (Read 561 times)

Offline five fathoms

• Team IceShanty Regular
Non-resident requesting advice on southern Vermont
« on: Jan 29, 2015, 10:32 AM »
  I just found out about Vermont's free fishing weekend this Saturday. With poor prospects and areas of heavy snow down in Massachusetts, my chances may be brighter across the border.
  Anyway, unfished waters always beckon. Even if we hadn't had the snow, I'd still be tempted to sample what your state has to offer.
  I'm writing to solicit advice or pointers on where to fish. I'm from the southern Connecticut River valley, in the Springfield metro area of Mass and I'm unwilling to make the haul up to Champlain. Can anyone chime in with any advice about water bodies in southern Vermont? Are the Connecticut River backwaters in the Brattleboro/Hinsdale area safe and open to fishing? Are they under the jurisdiction of Vermont fish & game laws? In other words, will the free fishing day be in effect there?
  There's another water body in the Whitingham/ Wilmington area by Rt 100. Is this place fishable? If so, what can I expect to catch? I'm not after high profile species. I'd be perfectly content with steady jigging action, with the aim of harvesting a few.
  Thank you for your input.

Offline johnrielly

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Non-resident requesting advice on southern Vermont
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2015, 10:36 AM »
springfield vt connecticut river setback.... pike,crappie,perch,bass and panfish

Offline got1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2015, 10:54 AM »
I wouldn't go to the setback you will be disappointed ..go to champlain or bomo

Offline wilec

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • support our troops
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2015, 11:41 AM »
the water body in Wilmington Harriman Resivoir  is excellent for ice fishing.  Large Browns, Brook trout plenty of perch access it off of castle road.  coming west on route 9 take a left at the center of town at the light (castle rd)you can follow that road and you park on the right down a mile or so, youll see where everyone else is.  You can also access it by taking a right off of castle rd about a 1/4 mile from the light

Offline five fathoms

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2015, 12:28 AM »
My thanks to all who responded.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.