Author Topic: Great day @ the Fork! 1/28  (Read 1337 times)

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Great day @ the Fork! 1/28
« on: Jan 29, 2015, 10:05 AM »
Took a day mid-week and had a perfect day @ WF. Weather was overcast but warm, didn't even put on my coat till the wind picked up @ noon. Caught 26 lakers, largest being 21in. on the standard laker fare. Only 2 dead sticked. All others you had to work. Most fish in 48ft of water, but got at least 10 cruising through @ 18ft. Man is it a blast raising your offering and hitting suspending fish. Caught a lot on a silver buckshot, tipped with sucker. things got slow for a bit mid day, so I put on some of that shad I got @ CC and they LOVED it!

Was my 1st time using an actual Laker rod, DG 36in. split handle, and I really think it greatly helped my hook sets, since I only lost a couple fish bringing them up. (or they were just really hungry :-)

Felt good getting into a bunch of fish! It's been awhile.
Very little snow, walk was easy & I could park where I wanted too ;)

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
Re: Great day @ the Fork! 1/28
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2015, 10:15 AM »
Great report, and fun pics --- jeet em?  Good to know that other bait fish work too.  Did the shad work better than the sucker?  ;) 
I recently ordered a Genz laker rod, too.  I got 40"H -- can't wait to try it out.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline COlipripper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2015, 12:51 PM »
Nice work and good report! Love the fork and being able to park past where they normally try to close with a snow mound.
Selective harvest works!

Offline Catfishking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2015, 05:43 PM »
Nice I was up there yesterday I had my best day there ever 32 lakers most were fat 18-22 inchers

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2015, 06:05 PM »
Its always more fun, when they are active and hungry,   How far a walk does one have to take, never ice up there, and speaking of ice, what kind of condition it in ?
Bud

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2015, 07:15 PM »
Great report, and fun pics --- jeet em?  Good to know that other bait fish work too.  Did the shad work better than the sucker?  ;) 
I recently ordered a Genz laker rod, too.  I got 40"H -- can't wait to try it out.

Nope, didn't keep any. Not much a fan of eating Lakers, just love catching'em. I think the shad worked as a change of pace, since they were seeing Sucker all morning. I will say the shad is oilier, you really notice it when you 1st put it in the water.

How far a walk does one have to take, never ice up there, and speaking of ice, what kind of condition it in ?

My walk to where I like to go was only about 10 minutes, since there wasn't much snow & I could park closer. I have never fished anywhere towards the dam or the West side  ;)

Offline DanDANthefisherman1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Live to fish
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2015, 12:31 PM »
Nice going Johnny ! Bunch of us headed up tomorrow.

Offline RPudney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2015, 12:41 PM »
Great day!

Offline fishfanatic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2015, 10:54 PM »
Fished the West side Thursday from day break until around noon.  Didn't catch any that were decent size.  Lost a few one felt really nice.  Left there and went to Granby.  Did good there on jigging rapala with no bait.  Also caught some at the Fork on a green jigging rapala.  I really caught them on all kinds of lures now I think about it.  Just none at the Fork were very big.  No pics
"Dynamite works great for fishing, but I don't recommend using it through the ice".

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.