Author Topic: Best Drill?  (Read 1002 times)

Offline rickgehrke

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin lips
Best Drill?
« on: Jan 28, 2015, 04:44 PM »
I want to convert my NILS into a drill driven auger. What do you recommend? Price vs performance.

Thank you for the help.
Fish hard, or go home.

Offline gunslinger

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Best Drill?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2015, 04:51 PM »
Get a dewalt fore sure. Best performance by far if you don't mind the cost.

Offline GrimReaper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2015, 05:01 PM »
When I researched drills for augers last year I found a recommendation for "best bang for the buck" as the Sears Craftsman 19.2v, it comes with 2 batteries and carry case - I've been pretty happy with it this season drilling holes. 

Offline spud bar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2015, 05:04 PM »
If I didn't have my gas auger and was looking at using this setup, I'd probably go for something with an Li-ion battery and lifetime replacement warranty. Rigid comes to mind. Could be others, but I haven't been in the market for a drill in a few years.

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2015, 05:08 PM »
Milwaukee Fuel 18V

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2015, 05:31 PM »
Well, I guess since you asked you want varying opinions.  Mine would be which ever one has the best warranty for the lowest price. 

This is what I have.  [size=78%]http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-X4-18-Volt-10-24-in-Cordless-Compact-Hammer-Drill-Driver-Tool-Only-R8611504B/205145662?N=5yc1vZc27fZ18gZ1z140i3#product_description[/size]

Used to have a lifetime warranty, but I see they've dropped it to 3 years.

Offline Perch Freak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2015, 06:20 PM »
The Milwaukee 18v Fuel is what I have. Had it for two seasons now. I can drill one handed with the 6 inch nils. Be sure to use both hands with the 8inch nils. It'll crank your wrist something fierce.
It's a killer setup. Woodland drilled a mess of holes at the Youth Day with that combo.
My Jiffy is going on craigslist soon. Don't need it.

Offline 1sorearm

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2015, 06:39 PM »
Rigid x-4 hammer drill is what I use with a clam adapter set up, sold my power auger. Might not work with a nils tho.I use a lazer

Offline Hamstn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2015, 07:01 PM »
Can't say what is the best for your auger, but I can comment on The Milwaukee 18v Fuel. I have many of the their tools with several batteries and they have been the best cordless brand I have had. Some of the batteries are over two years old with somewhat heavy use and still going strong. I have not used Rigid.

Offline Madplumber

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch & Release
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2015, 07:20 PM »
Used many drills I would defiantly get Milwaukee 18 fuel make sure that it is the fuel though the regular Milwaukee will not work I use my drill for big holes and no trouble yet

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2015, 11:32 PM »
Since you are going to use it hard, I would recommend a Ridgid (home depot store brand). The tools and the batteries are warranted for life. I have a ~15 year old one that is the first of the 18V batteries, and when the nicads went bad, they gave be 2 new lithium ion batteries and a new charger. Mine is 3/8 inch, but you want the 1/2 inch for sure.
Which Nils drill do you have? I have the 4.5 inch, and it turns so easy, I am not tempted to add the weight of a drill. I punch 50 holes or so, and can't say I notice getting tired. Now if we get another 2 feet of ice that is a different story.

Offline jaklakmak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LIVE OUTDOORS!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2015, 06:30 PM »
I use a Bosch 36V

Offline AverysAdventure

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2015, 08:20 PM »
I gave up on batteries.  I carry my generator now.

Offline Hardwaterassault

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2015, 10:16 PM »
I use a Rigid Hammerdrill on my clam auger plate with a 6" Auger, It will also run my 8" auger when I need to. From my experience and the other tourney guys we fish with, I think the best bet is a brushless hammerdrill Dewalt, Milwaulke, Makita, Rigid doesn't really matter so much but you have to go to the brushless to avoid burning them up when the ice gets thick. The hammerdrills give you the most torque which is the key when it comes to drilling holes on the ice. You also will want to look at getting a 4 or 5Amh battery. I am getting about 20 holes per battery (8-12" ice) with my 2Amh batteries. The friends I fish with are getting around 40 with their 5Ahm batteries...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.