The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Jiffy Model 30 hot start problem  (Read 2186 times)

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
Jiffy Model 30 hot start problem
« on: Jan 28, 2015, 04:40 PM »
I have an older Jiffy Model 30, Tecumseh 3hp, cone auger cutting surface.

It runs AWESOME, cold starts perfect every time, two slow pulls and one full pull and I'm drilling.

I recently put a spark plug, and adjusted the carb according to the instructions I've found (1/4 turn, 1 1/14 turn out from closed, then adjust from there)  I also dumped the fuel I had (which I think was E10), and refilled my can and tank with regular fuel, 40:1 mix with Echo synthetic oil.

It hasn't wanted to hot/warm start since I got it, first time using it this year.  When it's running, it will drill until the tank is empty if I wanted, idles great, does stall out unless I tip it too far with the carb down.

I have to let it sit quite a while to be able to start normally again, otherwise I have to choke it, and pull 10+ times.

Anyone have a similar issue with their tank of an auger?

no, I don't want to buy a new auger, propane, gas, or electric, I want mine to start better, so keep out the smart comments about getting rid of my dinosaur.

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Jiffy Model 30 hot start problem
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2015, 06:32 PM »
No reason to get rid of the model 30 as it will out live most you replace it with. I know you will get help on this one. That is odd is won't start when warm. I have to ask if gas cap vent is shutting by chance? When was carb gone through last? Also are you hitting primer after it's warm , Flooding it?
Fishin red lines

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2015, 10:24 PM »
Just put a new cap on it as well, and it's open.

Not sure about the carb, I just bought it this summer.  Has a fairly fresh sticker from a small engine shop on it, and a sharp blade

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2015, 06:02 PM »
Sounds like the fuel pump diaphragm is done. Have you tried turning out the low speed?
-Tom

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2015, 10:38 PM »
Even if it is running great? It would be a cheap fix as most things are on the model 30
Fishin red lines

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2015, 12:22 PM »
I haven't dug into it, and probably wont until after the season.  When I do, I'll just do the whole carb kit.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2015, 09:23 PM »
I don't know the exact reason, but the way it was explained to me is your engine has less compression when warm. When cold or running, it can pull enough of its own gas. When warm, it cant. Another clue is that it dies if you tip it too far. Some are better than others, but they should run at least a little bit on their side. Mine will run upside down.
-Tom

Offline FrostBack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Vegetarian: Cree word meaning poor hunter!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2015, 09:41 PM »
Start with the easy stuff; Install a new spark plug, they will cause a hard start when warm, make sure your head gasket is good, Techumehs are bad for the head gasket to blow...its a $4.00 gasket. The other common problem is the diaphram gets stiff, the diaphram is your fuel pump, if its faulty it will usually not start or run no matter what the temp of the engine is.

I bet its one of these three items that are your problem, if not try to determine if its a fuel or spark issue.

The difference between an 8" hole and a 10" hole is.....a 10" hole will usually give you your boot back!

In the food chain of life...its not good to be referred to as: "a good eating size".

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2015, 09:58 PM »
I thought spark plug right away too, but it looks like he has tried that. The test for a coil is to test its resistance if you would like to do that. I have no idea what it should be, but test it when cold, and after its hot and see if there is a big difference. If it runs good after you get it started, I don't think its the coil.
-Tom

Offline FrostBack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Vegetarian: Cree word meaning poor hunter!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2015, 10:10 PM »
I thought spark plug right away too, but it looks like he has tried that.

My bad...I missed that.
Usually temp related issues are vapor lock or electrical (plug or coil). I don't believe its vapor lock as it would not get hot enough to cause it.

The difference between an 8" hole and a 10" hole is.....a 10" hole will usually give you your boot back!

In the food chain of life...its not good to be referred to as: "a good eating size".

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2015, 11:06 PM »
Thanks for the info, I'll have to check it out!

problem is we lost all our local ice, so I have no test ice to get some load on it!

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2015, 08:39 AM »
The 1/4 turn out is just a starting reference point, not the final adjustments in most cases.  You could just need to play with the jet screws.  Try opening them up a hair and see how she runs.  It might just be out of adjustment.  Or replace the diaphram now, but if it runs fine I doubt it's anything other than just needing some fine tuning.

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 02, 2015, 01:47 PM »
Right, like I said, I started there, and have made adjustments off the 1/4 turn / 1 1/4 turn starting point.

Offline icerfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Like Animals, There Delicous :)
« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2015, 04:56 PM »
I would check the head gasket my auger was acting the some this week  head gasket was blown.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.