Author Topic: Deep Creek Bluegill Question  (Read 1654 times)

Offline mdredneck

• IceShanty Rookie
Deep Creek Bluegill Question
« on: Jan 28, 2015, 01:53 PM »
I have ice fished DCL for 10 years now and I have no problem locating any other species I want to fish for except for the bluegill.... I am just wondering what depth they are usually at and how far from the bottom you find them?

Offline Old School

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Deep Creek Bluegill Question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2015, 06:35 PM »
Deep[ Creek Lake is one of the best big bluegill lakes in the nation. There are 2 strategies for taking big bluegills at DCL. The first is to fish in the arm coves at 25 feet or so. You should look for 'sticky' hard bottoms and fish tiny tungsten jigs with maggots, waxies or micro plastics. You should fish the bottom six inches & avoid sudden jig movements. Some good arms are Turkey Neck between the Yacht Club and the cables, and Mchenry mid cove.

The other option is to fish weed beds, generally the weedier the better. These fish can be caught at various depths, so fish the water column.  There are numerous weed beds located throughout DCL.

Hope this helps. Tight lines!

Offline hesseltine32

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yelling at the fish on my screen
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2015, 08:46 PM »
When u do catch some gills put them on ur top ups for bait for real fish  ;D

Offline Old School

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2015, 08:31 AM »
One of those DCL bullgills I caught last week had a 27" northern in its stomach.    ;-)

Offline Denuh Vance

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2015, 09:40 AM »
Deep[ Creek Lake is one of the best big bluegill lakes in the nation. There are 2 strategies for taking big bluegills at DCL. The first is to fish in the arm coves at 25 feet or so. You should look for 'sticky' hard bottoms and fish tiny tungsten jigs with maggots, waxies or micro plastics. You should fish the bottom six inches & avoid sudden jig movements. Some good arms are Turkey Neck between the Yacht Club and the cables, and Mchenry mid cove.

The other option is to fish weed beds, generally the weedier the better. These fish can be caught at various depths, so fish the water column.  There are numerous weed beds located throughout DCL.

Hope this helps. Tight lines!

Out of curiosity, what other species have you run into at those locations?

Offline Old School

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2015, 06:48 PM »
In the necks fishing micro tungstens & targeting bluegills I catch lots of perch (often more than bluegills) and an occasional walleye. Pickeral too

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.