The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Fish flasher help  (Read 991 times)

Offline Midge4u2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fish flasher help
« on: Jan 28, 2015, 12:55 PM »
Thinking about getting one of those marcum fish flashers...I have a question about using one with two fishers. I always see 1 person and 1 line per flasher...my question is what if you have 2 people fishing 1 flasher .. Could you do that by having 3 holes with the flasher being in the middle hole and 2 lines fishing on either side of it? Would this be to confusing and cause interference  with one flasher? Does anyone have experience with this set up?
Thanks very much for input !! Happy fishin'!!

Offline bowhtr

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Fish flasher help
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2015, 01:41 PM »
fish mine that way the other day works great depends on the depth and how far away you are fishing if you will be able to see both jigs. We fished 35 to 40 FOW holes five feet apart with the finder in the middle.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º'>

BOWHTR

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2015, 01:52 PM »
This nicely puts things in perspective. http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=203154.0

For example, the standard cone angle on my LX5 is roughly 20 degrees so the coverage diameter at the bottom in 30 feet of water is in the 10-12 foot range.

YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline MT JigMan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2015, 07:52 PM »
My six year old and I fish this way.  He seems to have no problem figuring out which jig is his.  As long as the jigs are not at the same depth you can clearly see the two.  It can be tricky to tell which jig a fish is going for if they are close to the same depth but at least you will be ready.  I put the flasher in the middle and the other holes are about 18 inches away. 

Offline tfdoke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2015, 08:27 AM »
That set up works fine and my wife and I use the flasher like that all the time.  I also have the LX-5 and like it was mentioned above every 3 feet of depth = 1 foot of cone diameter (unless you change to the narrow beam transducer setting).

Offline Outlander_49

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2015, 12:31 PM »
Works fine for me too, always fish this way when there are 2 people in my flipover.  I drill 5 holes in a 'V' pattern and put the flasher in the middle hole.  When fishing deep, we can usually see all the jigs on the flasher, using a Vexilar FL-20.  Not knowing which jig the fish is looking at adds a little mystery to the game but if the jigs are at different depths its fairly easy to tell which one.

Offline Midge4u2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2015, 05:12 PM »
This is very helpful information and I very much appreciate it!!! Can't wait to use the new flasher!!

Offline brianinc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2015, 03:42 PM »
great read! thanks

Offline feklar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2015, 10:01 PM »
I wasn't sure about it, it has completely changed my fishing.  I catch more fish more of the time.  I posted a time or two about how it caught me fish I wouldn't have otherwise.

Best story...has happened a couple of times on perch and trout. I'm outfishing my brother/friend/father about 5 to 1 when we are 3 feet apart with same rods/bait/lures.  I set them up with the flasher and they outfish me about 5 to 1. 

I always use it with 2 holes with about 5  inches between them.  Left hole has the flasher and a very small jig.  Right hole is a larger jig like a speed spoon or hali jig.  I work them both and find what the fish want then concentrate on fishing on that presentation.

I have the Marcum vx-1p. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.