The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Trout - rigging the tip-up help  (Read 2218 times)

Offline Ash82

• Team IceShanty Regular
Trout - rigging the tip-up help
« on: Jan 28, 2015, 11:03 AM »
I was looking up posts on using tipups for trout and I found that it is recommended to use small shiners or crawlers or powerbait. I am planning to try for trout this weekend (not sure where) with a buddy who is also new to ice fishing.
So, I saw that we have to have the line/bait closer to the ice (2-3 feet below ice). I am not sure how to bait the crawlers. Should I use full crawler or should I use half of it. How to hook it, so that it hangs straight or all curled up? Also what size hook do you all recommend(Single or treble).
Based on what I have read, it is super difficult, but I decided to give it a shot. Thanks in advance!!!

Offline james1981

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Trout - rigging the tip-up help
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2015, 01:12 PM »
 From a tip up, 4-6 lb mono/flourocarbon leader, Small size 10 hook or i like salmon egg hooks, it seems to hook them in the lip or jaw more often and allows for release...

SHALLOW WATER, as close to shore as possible, right when you think you are too close, move in another 3ft closer,  then work your way out with some holes... I use worms and salmon eggs, the second key thing is to chum them with a few salmon eggs down every hole...  watch the holes and they will come, if you get the skunk fish the same holes the next day.. and they should be still kicking around...
  the deepest I fish for trout is 5 ft of water fished  right below the hole...  Half of a crawler if you are using them or one trout worm, rigged in the middle.. Hide the hook as best as possible...
 Try jigging with half nightcrawler tipped on spoon or Kastmaster (smaller the better), rigged so that there is a tail of worm that slows the fall...  I like swedish pimples, phoebes, kastamasters, reddevil ( small one with 2 hooks)  work the holes, I drill 10 or more, in varying depths,  again I jigg within one foot of the hole, so the light reflects around, in shallow water, thats where they will be anyway...  Powereggs work but I prefer salmon eggs, as they sink and using really small hooks...
 Dont be afraid to move.... no sense staying put if you are not catching anything... 
 Get your tip ups in before sunrise, or as close to sun up as possible... and stay until dark... I have limited out on  more than one occasion in that  half hour window...
  Know the weather, High to low pressure systems I have had really good luck fishing right up til it starts snowing...

Offline Ash82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2015, 01:40 PM »
Wow... Thanks for all the info! I have most of this down, but good to get a double check...
I was just going to wing it on the jigging, but this is great info... I will let you know how I do this weekend... We have 8 tip ups between the two of us + jig rods, so hoping for at least a flag, even if we don't land any... Thanks again!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2015, 01:47 PM »
I prefer small crappie minnows 2ft under the ice. #8 octopus or #14 teble. 4lb leader and a split shot just big enough to keep the minnow from swimming up, usually 3/0 or #7. Set the tipup to the lightest setting possible and get there quick. They tend to swallow the minnow and run for a mile.

They can put some bonus fish on the ice, but jigging spoons or dead sticking minnows work much better for me on stocked bows
EYECONICFISHING

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2015, 02:01 PM »
If there's weeds in the shallows, fish the edge or any pockets in the weeds you find. I've limited out pretty quick a few times jigging a foot off the bottom on the edge of a weedline. Definitely go close to shore if there's no weeds though.

"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline james1981

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2015, 02:55 PM »
No problem, advice is just that... But I can tell you the hard part is finding the honey holes on any particular waterbody, I can tell you the trout can stack up there really good...  Trust me when you find where they like to be you will be in the money with fish on the ice....

Offline Ash82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2015, 04:38 PM »
Thanks all! Good to know the different rigs that people use for trout... I hope to put this into action this weekend...

Going to look for the spot close to shore/ next to weed line

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.