The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Free Ice Fishing Day  (Read 1018 times)

Offline Little Brown Dog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • My fishing partner
Free Ice Fishing Day
« on: Jan 28, 2015, 09:19 AM »

"My biggest worry is that when I die, my wife will sell all of my ice fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it"

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Free Ice Fishing Day
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2015, 09:34 AM »
it wont be free if they catch you whizzing on the ice.

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2015, 10:49 AM »
So can fish for free for the entire day or just between 1pm and 5pm?  :unsure: :unsure:

Offline Little Brown Dog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • My fishing partner
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2015, 11:31 AM »
So can fish for free for the entire day or just between 1pm and 5pm?  :unsure: :unsure:

Saturday, January 31, 2015 is Vermont’s free ice fishing day – a day when anyone, resident or nonresident, may go fishing without a fishing license. The department worked with the Legislature to create a free ice fishing day to encourage individuals, friends and families to get out and try one of the most popular fishing methods enjoyed in Vermont.

"My biggest worry is that when I die, my wife will sell all of my ice fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it"

Offline ICE_HOOK

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fish now or never !!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2015, 03:13 PM »
LBD , you guys running a.shuttle from central vt. Cause that's a hike? ;D

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Love IceFishing for SMELT,PERCH,BLUEGILLS,CRAPPIE,
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2015, 04:34 PM »
I did this last year with kids on at Larabee on Champlain, so the kids can meet all the Ice team pros like me but its too far of hike for me now since i moved to new York .
I do all types of fishing; but I am Die hard Ice angler.
I love Ice Fishing the lakes of Rutland County. Recently moved to NY and now will be Ice fishing the Lakes Of New York.

Offline Blackink

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2015, 07:07 PM »
LBD , you guys running a.shuttle from central vt. Cause that's a hike? ;D

I sent the F & W an email asking them if there was any other places in Vermont that their department was having any "free fishing events/festivals" for that day, January 31st.

The reason I asked is that some people may not be able to get to Malletts Bay due to where it is located, meaning it's quite a ways from say-Lake Memphremagog, if you happen to live in that area, or you live in the southern part of the state and want to try ice fishing and don't have any gear/equipment.

Their response: Thanks for your note! Unfortunately, we only have enough man/woman power to hold one ice fishing festival on the 31st this year. I am encouraged that it seems like we have lots of people who are eager to try ice fishing! One of the best things about the free fishing day is that you don’t have to buy a fishing license in order to try out the sport, but you’re right – you’d still have to find a way to get equipment. Unfortunately, we can’t buy or rent equipment for everyone who wants to try it out.

I realize it must take an enormous amount of work to sponsor such an event but too bad they can't set up something on more than one body of water for that day....

Let's hope the weather is cooperating that day for those of you who can make it to the event.

Offline ICE_HOOK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2015, 07:59 PM »
I sent the F & W an email asking them if there was any other places in Vermont that their department was having any "free fishing events/festivals" for that day, January 31st.

The reason I asked is that some people may not be able to get to Malletts Bay due to where it is located, meaning it's quite a ways from say-Lake Memphremagog, if you happen to live in that area, or you live in the southern part of the state and want to try ice fishing and don't have any gear/equipment.

Their response: Thanks for your note! Unfortunately, we only have enough man/woman power to hold one ice fishing festival on the 31st this year. I am encouraged that it seems like we have lots of people who are eager to try ice fishing! One of the best things about the free fishing day is that you don’t have to buy a fishing license in order to try out the sport, but you’re right – you’d still have to find a way to get equipment. Unfortunately, we can’t buy or rent equipment for everyone who wants to try it out.

I realize it must take an enormous amount of work to sponsor such an event but too bad they can't set up something on more than one body of water for that day....

Let's hope the weather is cooperating that day for those of you who can make it to the event.
FYI - Little Brown Dog is as close to f&g as your going to get! He  posted  this post.

Offline dave b.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • waitin for winter
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2015, 08:09 PM »
Good opportunity for all the ice fisherman on  here to take some one fishing. We all have extra gear. My Dad went with me last year. Saved him the cost of an out of state license.

Offline fishnmachine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2015, 08:16 PM »
They DID set up something on more than one body of water that day.  They're letting you fish on ANY lake open to icefishing, without a license!!!  Stick and a string....   :tipup:
                           One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.

Offline Little Brown Dog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • My fishing partner
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2015, 07:07 AM »
FYI - Little Brown Dog is as close to f&g as your going to get! He  posted  this post.

I do not represent the Fish and Wildlife Department on Iceshanty.  I'm just an angler that loves ice fishing and taking my daughter out with me.  I just happen to know some Biologists and I'm also a volunteer Let's Go Fishing Instructor, so I'm very familiar with the law book.

Offline ICE_HOOK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2015, 09:21 AM »
I do not represent the Fish and Wildlife Department on Iceshanty.  I'm just an angler that loves ice fishing and taking my daughter out with me.  I just happen to know some Biologists and I'm also a volunteer Let's Go Fishing Instructor, so I'm very familiar with the law book.
F&G does monitor the site but your input is great cause I know you know the laws more than most! Thanks!

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Love IceFishing for SMELT,PERCH,BLUEGILLS,CRAPPIE,
« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2015, 07:12 PM »
Hey Wiggle, are you still Pro status? Wil you be at the Mallets derby this wkend? I want to come get my chest autographed!
Yes... and i only sign chest that have a nice Rack!!!  ;D ;D ;D   ;) ;) ;)

and No i wont be there, just too far to travel for me. sorry
I do all types of fishing; but I am Die hard Ice angler.
I love Ice Fishing the lakes of Rutland County. Recently moved to NY and now will be Ice fishing the Lakes Of New York.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.