Author Topic: Lets talk Whitefish............  (Read 4411 times)

Offline Whitefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
Lets talk Whitefish............
« on: Jan 28, 2015, 12:29 AM »
Whitefish the other mans laketrout......who fishes whitefish  i have caught many whitefish over the years humpys are fun and up to 5 lb. or so.. but broad Whitefish grow much bigger and harder to find and catch...so lets see if you can measure up with the big ones. .....and they taste better deepfryed then lakers......anyway.... lakes,?? rivers..? gear,,, bait.... beerbatter .......??? :icefish:    clam up.....

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Lets talk Whitefish............
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2015, 02:03 AM »
I've caught a couple whites.  During a certain time of year I can usually sit down and in a couple hours catch well over 100.  I don't catch them for food, I catch them for bait usually 12-14 inches.  Now what I've been trying to figure out is how to catch them the rest of the year through the ice.  Somebody told me that raw shrimp work well I just haven't had a chance to try it.  I fish Louise exclusively and I belive those are round whites but I may be mistaken.  So whitefisher I'm assuming you are the expert, what would you recommend.  You can pm me if you don't want to give away your secrets.
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline jkw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont Forget The Beer!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2015, 02:40 AM »
I've seen monster whites ( I think broads) caught out of X That were 24-28" and easy 7-8 lbs. they were caught left and right on a tiny handmade jig made of brass and silver foil. No joke. I got my chance at one but the line was super thin ( 1 or 2x tippet material). They would throw the hook cuz I was scared breaking them off and losing the jig.  The man who was killing them used them for dog chow, bait and for smoking. Did not eat any but was told smoked they are wonderful trail food.
TEAM ALASKA          :bow: Pray For Ice! :icefish:

Its better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

Offline Whitefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2015, 04:39 AM »
     i think there are better tasting then trout, char, or grayling..deep fried  with egg- Ritz crackers. batter.....back to fishing....lets start with line 300 feet of ..2-4lb. test. clear....very line shy Ive found....reels need a smooth drag....rods with a little backbone  n light tip.....broads and humpys hug  and feed on bottom in winter... small mouth small bait....with bait i use single treble #18...a 1/64 oz slip sinker and a short leader 0nly 4 in.long.......why so short u ask..these fish  mouth bottom about  every 6 in,s  when feeding .the bait will fall on the sinker 4in. get the bobber moveing before they drop the bait...i watch this time and again on camera hope to record this soon..i have found a lake with monsters in it  many fish over 10lb range...and close to 30 in. these are broads king of the whitefish.....for bait i like........... :icefish:

Offline DIRTBALL2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2015, 07:16 AM »
It is my considered opinion that a smoked whitefish is the very best tasting fish, bar none! Even better than halibut, which is my second favorite fish to eat. I used to smoke them myself in a old refrigerator that I had converted into a smoker. Whenever I got a batch of whitefish done, they never lasted for very long. I've had good luck catching whitefish here in Minnesota. My favorite lake is Lake Lida, not too far away from Fergus Falls. The first time I went there I didn't know anything about catching them. Dale, the owner of Fishead's Canoe Joint, told me to just go out right off Kansas Point and ask any of the legion of old-timer's that were fishing there how I should go about it. So I did! To a man, everyone I talked to said, "Fish three arm length's plus 1 foot!" Which I proceeded to do. I used a very small gold sunfish jig baited with a waxworm. And what a day I had! Every whitefish I caught weighed between 4 or 5 pound's! Don't remember how many but it was quite a few. I used 4 lb test mono and a very tiny ice fishing foam bobber. Also added 1 tiny split shot 2 feet above my jig. Whitefish have very tiny mouth's and are very delicate biters. So I had to watch that bobber very closely. If it looked like there was any movement at all, you had to set the hook! Otherwise you would miss too many fish. What a day I had! :icefish:DIRTBALL2 ;)2
YOU CAN'T BS AN OLD BS'ER!

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2015, 11:00 AM »
White fish are one of the best eating fish out there.  I use to fish them from my hard side in Maine all the time.  The biggest white fish I caught there was around 5lbs or so, but they averaged around 2lbs.   I used the smallest live shiners I could get my hands on.  I would also pull pin head smelts from whitefish and use them for bait.  But the best bait was....These were lake whitefish that grow much larger than the round white fish we have in lake Louise.  Like  Akhardwater said they are easy to pick up during a few weeks in the winter.  I have messed with them a little through out the winter, but I'm usually trying for lakers and burbot.  Maybe I will have to try and find some of the big boys, I would love a feed of white fish.  They are a blast to catch and non stop when you have them under the shanty ;) I used flower and Kellogg crumbs as my batter base with a charge of spices and deep fried them.  The key is ho-made tarter sauce.
If you wantah be a fishah you gotah smoke a swishah!

Offline mike182

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2015, 11:47 AM »
Ive caught white fish in lake superior in michigan that have been over 10 pounds. dam good eating deep fry

Offline DannerAK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2015, 12:44 PM »
Ive caught white fish in lake superior in michigan that have been over 10 pounds. dam good eating deep fry
I grew up eating Lake Superior whitefish smoked and deep fried.  Good stuff!  I keep a whitefish or two annually for bait now and those have been caught in rivers while targeting trout.   

Offline mike182

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2015, 12:49 PM »
Smoked really good. I live in nw wyoming now and buddy and i were lake trout fishing  one day. Went scouting out in the boat and saw little feeder creak coming in, There was schools  of mountain white fish in there. They were 2-4 pound range. Waiting to get good ice so can get over there try to catch some. Not sure if the white fish are as good eating we have in michigan and up in the AK.

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2015, 01:51 PM »
We are going to take a smoker out on the ice and smoke them as we catch them.  Other than smoking what is a good way to preserve them?  We noticed when you freeze them and then thaw them out they turn to mush.  Growing up on Lake Erie we would catch perch and fillet them and freeze them in a bag of water.  Do you guys think this would work on whites.  I've always been to concerned with getting bait to experiment but I would love to take some home for the table.

Offline jkw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont Forget The Beer!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2015, 01:58 PM »
Your pickling recipe would be good I bet with whitefish
TEAM ALASKA          :bow: Pray For Ice! :icefish:

Its better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

Offline mike182

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2015, 02:05 PM »
Pickled good too. havent had it in years

Offline gorf37

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2015, 03:21 PM »
You'll find me spilling my guts on a related topic here: http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=304093.0  I want to understand whitefish behaviors in winter better b/c they are the primary prey of my favorite targets in many Yukon lakes. 

Right now I'm wondering if I'm focusing too much on the drop off, and need to better understand the depths of our many long valley lakes.  Any input you're willing to share will be much appreciated!

Offline Whitefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2015, 03:48 PM »
allright  never had mushey whitefish ,,grayling allways turn soft after freezing,,, :P  it try freezing in water then...it helps.. ;) OK Bait.....chum helps bring them in...egg shells Salmon eggs cooked macaroni ground fish parts,,,, for bait. i like a single  real salmon egg  or 3in. lampry eel... whites love them.....or my home made dough bait more on that later......How deep do you fish .in Michigan we fished up two 250 ft. deep... for broad whitefish i fish 5-15 ft.  in the lakes here in the interior of Alaska less then 50 ft deep........

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2015, 04:52 PM »
I wonder if there is a difference in freezing round whitefish as opposed to other species.  We generally leave them whole so that is probably why they turn mushy.  My buddy did fillet out a couple and froze them before he left the ice and when he got home he thawed them out to eat and he said they turned to mush.  We will defiantly try some new techniques for preserving this year.  As far as baits go I have tried everything except the lampreys which are not present in the system and none of it works.  They do come into chum but don't pay any attention to our baits.  One bait they did seem to have interest in was a soft plastic that resembles the little brown leaches that are all over the lakers and burbot.  I am generally site fishing for them in shallow water so I can see how they react to our baits and chum and it drives me nuts when they come in and look at my bait and won't comit.  I could snag them or spear them but that's the cheaters way and I'm better than that.  I guess I will just keep trying and experimenting, eventually I will figure it out I always do.

Offline Whitefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2015, 05:35 PM »
Your right AK....rounds eat fresh or they are bait.....did not freeze good,,, humpys are what u want eat ,freeze  just fine they do...diff.texture...bi gger...2- lb...5lb..+  broads twice that... smoked there Great..pickeld hummmmm. :o....ive used  small jigs to stir them up.. soft and hard.... hard to get fish worms on a hook ,so dam small .....Camera will help  to nail down feeding times.  whitefish humpys and broads move into flats at night to feed just off the weed line sometimes 3ft of water... These very big broads come by two or three at a time  <ive watched them chase 3ft. long  pike off  my baits >  :o 

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 28, 2015, 07:25 PM »
I use to freeze lake whitefish/hump backs and they where fine.  The rounds will turn to mush for sure.
If you wantah be a fishah you gotah smoke a swishah!

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 28, 2015, 08:31 PM »
I will still try and freeze the fillets in water to see what happens.  I think running a smoker while on the ice will be pretty darn cool.  I predict some very funny looks from people out riding.

Offline Whitefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 29, 2015, 01:09 PM »
anybody make there own bait anymore.......care to share...... :icefish:

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 29, 2015, 04:03 PM »
I tie my own copper wire worms.  I don't use any bait on them and they seem to work just fine, mind you when they do work timing is everything.  I used to make my own chum blocks which consisted of an orange juice container and a rock.  What I would do is grind up herring or other fish parts mix in some different scents and uncooked rice.   Turn that all into a slurry and pour it into the orange juice carton.  Next take a rock that weighs at least 2lbs and place it in the center of the mix.  The slury should be thick enough to support the rock in the middle of the carton.  Next place the carton in the freezer or outside if your wife complains about the smell (oops).  Once it is frozen solid take the carton out with you on your next trip and tear the carton off and drop it down the hole.  If the rock is not in the middle of the block the chum will melt away from the rock before it has a chance to thaw and float to the top of the ice.  This is very effective if you fish the same spot repeatedly.  This is probably my favorite chum technique because you can customize it however you want.  Now that I have access to large quantitys of whites I just chop up a few whites every day and chum with that.  Gets them burbot all fired up.

Offline Whitefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 30, 2015, 11:42 PM »
 Smoked humpy sanwich with pepper jack  on toast   ;D   :thumbsup:smoked boubort  on  bacon ritz tasty to........

Offline Whitefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 01, 2015, 02:15 PM »
Akhardwater......how deep do u fish for them whites......??  type of bottom down there..? on LL ....... :icefish:

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 01, 2015, 04:16 PM »
Usually 8 ft or less but i have marked them in deep water while fishing for lakers.  Like I said I only really focus on them when I'm back in my shack in the evening and during that certain time of year.  I'm sure if I actually focused on them in the deeper water I might have a better shot at them.

Offline Whitefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 23, 2015, 08:32 PM »
I hear the whitefish a calling  and mabey a pike or two....3 days 2 nights....and lots of bait.... :tipup: :icefish:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.