The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Back Channels/Barge Bays on the Allegheny River  (Read 999 times)

Offline Fish4biggins360

• IceShanty Rookie
Back Channels/Barge Bays on the Allegheny River
« on: Jan 28, 2015, 12:28 AM »
Has anyone ever fished any of the back channels or barge bays on the Allegheny river before? I have fished one around the Harmarville area before a few years an we did great for the crappies but that one has really filled in with sediment in the last few years an is not all that good anymore. I've herd of another one around the Freeport area but don't know were it is. Anyone got a few areas to maybe try out or take a look at on a map? There has be more spots... Any around Kinzua?  Crazy being able to ice fish on the river...

Muskies on the mid winter prowl got to be hungry...

Thanks all... Tight lines...
If im not at the bar or work im probably out fishing...

Offline MO FISH jr.

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Back Channels/Barge Bays on the Allegheny River
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2015, 09:06 AM »
I too have fished the harmarville inlet,mostly crappies and walleye caught there. There is another similar inlet in kittaning that I couldn't gain access to. It's owned by a mining company. The only other one I know of is by river forest country club,but a friend said it's pretty shallow as well.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2015, 09:51 AM »
i hear up in brackenridge across river from allegheny ludlum there is a deep bay offa da river i never been there but was told its there? icecube was checkin out the sand and gravel at tanasta for me he said to scary to check it out im with you on this idea out east they fish the river and slam the eyes why not here? up in kennerdell/rockland is a deep river spot that freezes solid need permish to access river all private prop
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline cfisch84

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2015, 10:12 AM »
the back channel in freeport is in front of the golf course. forget the name of it but its all private
Has anyone ever fished any of the back channels or barge bays on the Allegheny river before? I have fished one around the Harmarville area before a few years an we did great for the crappies but that one has really filled in with sediment in the last few years an is not all that good anymore. I've herd of another one around the Freeport area but don't know were it is. Anyone got a few areas to maybe try out or take a look at on a map? There has be more spots... Any around Kinzua?  Crazy being able to ice fish on the river...

Muskies on the mid winter prowl got to be hungry...

Thanks all... Tight lines...
esox rx

Offline Fish4biggins360

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2015, 07:37 PM »
Thanks guys an yea love to find a few spots north of me on the "gheny" .

Musky on the prowl...

Offline Borealis82

• IceShanty Rookie
  • A bad day of ice fishing is like a sore peter...
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2015, 09:14 PM »
Friend of my dad's took us out on the one at river forest in freeport before. Did pretty well with crappie, bluegill, and few perch. Also caught couple nice largemouth. Never had any luck with walleye there though. It was all private property however, we just lucked into "knowing a guy who knew a guy" lol. The one in Kittanning is deep but also as said, accessed only by private property owned by the Snyder family and it is patrolled by security

Offline flyfisher2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2015, 04:10 AM »
THE COVE AT RIVERFOREST IS INDEED PRIVATE PROPERTY, I AM ONE OF THE LUCKY ONES THAT DOES HAVE PERMISSION TO FISH THERE . IN YEARS PAST THE PAN FISH HAS BEEN  GREAT BUT THIS YEAR WE CAN NOT LOCATE THEM. AS FOR THE COVE IN KITTANNING  THE ONLY ACCESS TO IT IS TO WALK THE SHORELINE ICE ON THE RIVER. THEY CAN NOT SAY ANYTHING TO YOU. TRUST ME I HAVE BEEN THERE WHEN THE GUY CHECKS TO SEE HOW YOU GOT ON THE ICE. GOOD LUCK OUT THERE

Offline Fish4biggins360

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2015, 10:42 AM »
THE COVE AT RIVERFOREST IS INDEED PRIVATE PROPERTY, I AM ONE OF THE LUCKY ONES THAT DOES HAVE PERMISSION TO FISH THERE . IN YEARS PAST THE PAN FISH HAS BEEN  GREAT BUT THIS YEAR WE CAN NOT LOCATE THEM. AS FOR THE COVE IN KITTANNING  THE ONLY ACCESS TO IT IS TO WALK THE SHORELINE ICE ON THE RIVER. THEY CAN NOT SAY ANYTHING TO YOU. TRUST ME I HAVE BEEN THERE WHEN THE GUY CHECKS TO SEE HOW YOU GOT ON THE ICE. GOOD LUCK OUT THERE

How do I go about getting permission to fish here? Love to try it. Looks good on a map...

Thanks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.