The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Does using an unused hole make me an ICEHOLE?  (Read 1886 times)

Offline MumbleSEED

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "If you plant corn you get corn!"
Does using an unused hole make me an ICEHOLE?
« on: Jan 27, 2015, 08:19 PM »
I have been ice fishing for eight years and it wasn't until this year that I finally decided I was going to use already drilled holes if there where some and no one had been near them fishing.  Is there some type of ice etiquette that makes me look like an ICEhole for doing that?
If only God would come down in the form of a man and explain everything to us.

Offline augerbit

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Does using an unused hole make me an ICEHOLE?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2015, 08:34 PM »
Do you feel like an ICEhole doing that?

Offline BAK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2015, 08:34 PM »
I would say to ask if it is extremely close to where the person is fishing.  I punch a pile of holes when I arrive and hop around until I narrow down where the most fish are at.  Sometimes with schools of fish moving around I move with them all day on the initial holes I've drilled.  That being said I personally don't care if someone else fishes one of the holes;  it is way better than the guy that punches a hole within 1' of you because you are the only one catching fish(ERIE last weekend) or setting their hut up with your tip up half under the hut(pymatuming last year).

Offline subtlehustle76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2015, 08:39 PM »
Only if you catch fish out of it. Good thread tho.. useful....
"Nice bass thumb, wanna see my pickerel d!ck?"

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2015, 06:13 AM »
some guys have 20 holes punches and your only allowed five rigs so I think its just fine. just don't jig in a hole with a tip up in it.

Offline MossCreekMonster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2015, 06:23 AM »
I see nothing wrong with it.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2015, 06:34 AM »
I was fishing last weekend, on my way out I found a group of holes with no one around, at all. They had about 1/4" of ice on them so I kicked one open and started jigging. If there was anyone still working the area I would have walked past and drilled my own. I try not to crowd anyone, but if the holes are abandoned, go for it.

Offline momo50

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2015, 07:20 AM »
I hand drill 4-5 holes at a shot, starting shallow and progressing towards deeper water until I find the fish. There have been days when I would drill 20+ holes. NO, I would have no problem with someone using my old holes. I don't care if you are relatively close as long as you aren't making a ruckus. More bait in the water=more fish in my opinion.

Offline Crappiehunter1981

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2015, 07:23 AM »
I agree with everyone that replied,  if the holes are there and no one is actively fishing them or actively hoping them with there flasher, they are freebies.  Why drill a hole next to an open hole.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2015, 07:35 AM »
If no one is fishing them fine,but I also drill bunch of holes usually on arrival and jump around and fishing one of them is not cool until I'm done.putting your shelter on top off my tip up ,really,that would have went well.but holes that are old I kick open all the time and check out with flasher how could that be a problem

Offline fisher 74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2015, 09:06 AM »
just fish

Offline NJChris

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2015, 10:44 AM »
It depends on how you define "unused". I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I get pretty annoyed when other people fish my holes. Usually I drill 5 or 6 extra holes along my tip-up spread so I have a few extra holes to jig in, and it never fails that a few times a year someone starts jigging in my tip up spread. I've also had people set their tip-ups in the middle of mine, and even had a guy start jigging in a hole I had tip up in when I went to get another minnow to put on. I don't know if its because I'm younger than a lot of guys on the ice, or if its because occasionally I'm catching fish when people aren't, but other guys give me absolutely no respect on the ice. That being said, if there's nobody fishing old holes there's no reason why you shouldn't break them out and put a line in. I've found a few decent spots that way.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2015, 12:20 PM »
i use old unattended holes all the time,attended, as they left for the day or vacated the area ,specially a hot hole lol. if we move far away ,we call that makin a major,those holes we left are fair game,so you decide and respect others.
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline Swadey1214

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2015, 12:51 PM »
I was fishing a lake this weekend with 4 of my buddys we where all I a circle about 7 or 8 ft of each other in our shantys. all of a sudden I saw a guy dragging his shanty towards us . he proceeded to put his shanty dead center in the middle of us and used our holes. that being said I don't care for the most part but that was the worst I have ever seen in my life. never said hi or can I use these holes or nothing .just a real a hole. I promise that will never happen again BECAUSE I WILL SNAP. AFTER THAT I PICKED UP AND LEFT THE LAKE . VERY BAD MANNERS. so I suggest to just ask most guys people don't care. you just might meet another fishing buddy.

Chute82

« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2015, 02:03 PM »
Had a guy last year ask me if I could remove one of my tip ups because he wanted to fish that hole I drilled

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2015, 02:26 PM »
ok how about misery or manning? you go pull your shanty on top of the next guy and fish? once your set up you aint movin?
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

icewagon

« Reply #16 on: Jan 28, 2015, 06:30 PM »
Some of you guys need to chill .If you want I'll drill you a hole and you can fish with me I'll even feed ya.

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 28, 2015, 06:37 PM »
this fat old guy want to fish with you bro.

Offline fishbone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 28, 2015, 06:42 PM »
some of these are funny

Offline pasaint77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 28, 2015, 08:27 PM »
I Would be very pissed if I drill several holes by hand and someone jumped in and started fishing them! I like to move around between them often! Just figure theres an entire lake to fish give me my space! Its just fishing etiquette!

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #20 on: Jan 28, 2015, 08:49 PM »
I believe it depends upon if you see someone fishing them.  If no one has fished the hole in 30 minutes or so, I would say it is fair game.  The only exceptions I would have to this if the holes were in the middle of the crew that I was fishing with, you watched me just drill the holes or if you see me coming back to the hole several times.  When I am out, I will drill a bunch of holes and bounce around to find fish.  I would be upset if someone just jumped into a hole I just drilled unless the person asked me.  I have drilled many holes for fellow ice fishers that needed some help either because of age or because they had a hand auger and the ice was thick.  Nez

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 28, 2015, 09:20 PM »
If the holes are vacated, the become "eminent domain". However, if the angler has drilled them as part of their spread then you should ask if they would mind you jigging some of their vacant holes. If the holes are iced over and there is no one around, you are good to go.

As for someone intruding in your established spread is a sign of inexperience, ignorance or arrogance.
Inexperience from a newbie, who should be informed in a friendly manner about ice etiquette.
Ignorance and arrogance are usually from idiots who are only concerned about themselves and what they can take for themselves. (usually related to poacher)

Now if some idiot "tried" to set their shack right on top of one of my traps they would get a quick visit from me, and if they refused to move, I would move my trap and think about cutting holes all around the shack. I'm talking swiss cheese, a sadistic game of "connect the dots", an ice-house game of "whack-an-ahole".
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline tulenkot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 29, 2015, 09:49 AM »
I would never use an empty hole if it was near a group, but heck, I just had shoulder surgery so I might have to loosen my standards!

Offline MumbleSEED

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "If you plant corn you get corn!"
« Reply #23 on: Jan 29, 2015, 11:51 AM »
Thanks for the input.  I consider myself a well mannered sportsman so I just wanted to make sure there isn't an unwritten rule.  By the way Icewagon wouldn't mind taking you up on that food idea as I am a certified fat guy
If only God would come down in the form of a man and explain everything to us.

Offline Basspunker182

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 29, 2015, 03:35 PM »
This is a bit off topic but I figured I would share, a few weeks back myself and my buddies hit a private pond bright and early. As we were walking out to 'the spot' a few other trucks pulled up and looked to also be coming fishing. Well while I was out drilling holes for tip ups a man approached me and said this was 'his spot' and that he had to drill his holes there. Yes I did have permission to fish there and so did this guy. So I agreed to start drilling holes in the other direction but I was going to use the ones that I already drilled. Well he proceeded to drill holes about 5-6 feet away from mine.

I believe this man could be classified as an "ICE HOLE".  ;)

Offline Indiana_Lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 29, 2015, 04:19 PM »
Personally I think that qualifies him as a pure and unadulterated ###hole.  Wow! That takes some nerve and I for one am a rather easy going person.   Lou

Offline ShimmyShack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 29, 2015, 04:27 PM »
Some common decency and manners go a long way.  Unfortunately those with them have to deal with those that don't.  My MO is to fish where others aren't.  Then my odds of running into such confrentations play in my favor for me keeping my patience.  Always more than pleased to drill some holes or help an old timer lift their sled. In return don't fish out of the holes I'm presently fishing and don't set up on my back door. Thanks for bringing this topic up.
Bad day fishing…Better than a good day at work.

Offline smally hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 29, 2015, 04:31 PM »
Limited on misery two weeks ago . Came back the next day trying to get my holes back only to find a guy there already . However I recognized the guy from the day before and talking to him he suggested  I drill next to him being that I had the spot the day before . What a difference a day made though Cuz he caught fish and I got nada . My experience is a little bs session and exchange of information will go a long way . Iv met a lot better ppl on the ice than I ever have open water fishing . Try standing next to certain guys on pymie in the spring And then tell me how you really feel

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Jan 30, 2015, 04:07 AM »
If no one's around I will but if people are reasonably, say within 100 yards, close buy I won't.

Offline planner47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 30, 2015, 12:58 PM »
Ice fishing is just like anything else out there in the world. To be successful you have to put in a effort ( work). Now let's say you want to ice fish. you will need a auger to drill holes or go with someone who does. So you go on the ice with your auger and look for other people's hole to fish in !!!! Sounds like the world doesn't it !people looking for a free meal ! No one around good - fish it. If you are exhausted from drilling to many hole and there are people close to you with holes that they drilled yeah you can ask them to fish there holes. I don't mind if you ask and would gladly let you fish them. I like to drill a few extra holes and hop around with my jigging rod. So has this come up with me ( yes). Can never understand went you look over to see his auger laying on the ice! So why buy a auger? Just go out and fish off of someone else's work ethics.
Be careful and a life jacket and JESUS IS A GREAT SAVING COMBINATION!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.