Author Topic: ATV sticker needed from out of state?  (Read 1481 times)

Offline mazak730

• IceShanty Rookie
ATV sticker needed from out of state?
« on: Jan 27, 2015, 10:39 AM »
I have some friends fishing with me this weekend on Erie. They have four wheelers and are wondering if they need any kind of sticker before they go out fishing.
We live in Michigan.

Offline Smally22

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ATV sticker needed from out of state?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2015, 11:53 AM »
Looking for the exact same info!  Any help would be much appreciated
Keep Your Stick on the ICE!!!

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2015, 11:56 AM »
Need a Michigan ORV sticker, which is what legal in your home state, been checked twice, on Erie  and never looked at sticker though!!

Offline mazak730

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2015, 02:40 PM »
Thank you

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • common sense is no longer common
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2015, 03:55 PM »
Need a Michigan ORV sticker, which is what legal in your home state, been checked twice, on Erie  and never looked at sticker though!!
I got one for an expired tag three years ago. heard they have since stopped since your on state park land only for access!

Offline leftydeadeye

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Well Done is Better than Well Said"(Ben Franklin)
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2015, 04:35 PM »
I had the same question last year. I was told that on the Lake you do not need the sticker because it is Federal Waters.  In the park such as Catabwa, you might have an issue because it is owned by the State.  Most of the quads I see on the Lake do not have a sticker or plate. Sleds do though. In Ohio, we now have to get a ORV license plate to use an ATV on state property. In Ohio, on lake Erie I don't think you will have a problem. other states I do not know.   If you have a sticker from another state I think you are good. I called the ODNR regarding helmets and quads, they told me that they do not enforce laws regarding issues relating to such and that it is controlled by the BMV.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2015, 05:50 PM »
We were checked in the parking lot, more interested in the fish than anything else!!

Offline spoggy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2015, 12:15 PM »
I had the same question last year. I was told that on the Lake you do not need the sticker because it is Federal Waters.  In the park such as Catabwa, you might have an issue because it is owned by the State.  Most of the quads I see on the Lake do not have a sticker or plate. Sleds do though. In Ohio, we now have to get a ORV license plate to use an ATV on state property. In Ohio, on lake Erie I don't think you will have a problem. other states I do not know.   If you have a sticker from another state I think you are good. I called the ODNR regarding helmets and quads, they told me that they do not enforce laws regarding issues relating to such and that it is controlled by the BMV.
To the best of my understanding, The State of Ohio owns the bed of Lake Erie, from the average low water mark on the shore to the borders of Michigan, Pennslyvania and Canada. The State holds it in public trust for the beneficial use of its residents. For certain programs, the Great Lakes fall under Federal Jurisdiction, but for the licensing of vehicles that travel on the bed, or the water directly above, the State retains control.
I have no idea how this would affect out-of-state visitors, aside from the fact they most probably would be required to carry/display whatever documentation their home state requires.

Steve

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.