The ice fishing North Dakota board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Using the Ion on thick ice  (Read 2525 times)

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
Using the Ion on thick ice
« on: Jan 27, 2015, 07:11 AM »
I think my 20 year old Jiffy 30 is on it's last year or needing a major overhaul and was trying to decide if I should go with a new gas or electric auger or rebuild it. In the Bismanonlne a lot of gas and propane augers are coming up for sale. I'm hearing grumbles about propane augers not working well below -10, not ruling them out but I do go fishing when it's -20 and blowing snow. I've read the reviews on the main page about the Ion, it seems that the people in those reviews are bragging about drilling ~25 to 30 holes in 12" or less of ice on days that are barely cold enough to freeze water.  Does anyone have any North Dakota/ Minnesota climate experience with them. I'm talking about negative number temps while cutting through 2' to 3', while being used outside in the weather, not just taken out of a warm pickup or icehouse. Because we all know what a true test of an auger is, letting it get cold to those negative temps and then using it. How long does that battery last??? If it only lasts 10-20 holes and then you have to swap batteries is it worth the $700 to $800 for the auger and 2nd battery? Or are you just buying the latest, newest, shiny thing?

Offline bmiller423

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Using the Ion on thick ice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2015, 09:23 AM »
Two friends of mine have propane augers and they swear by them.  That being said the electric auger does have some positives - we have an older electric that we use for our permanent and it works well however we have a deep cycle battery that we keep in the house and use to drill the holes.  Definitely not as fast as a propane or gas auger but it does the job.  I would say in thinner ice say 12 inches or less the electric would work fine.  What I have found is the thicker the ice the more it  wants to buck at the bottom of the hole.  When my 20 year old lazer mag gives out i'm going to a 10 inch propane. 

Offline Eyes R Bitin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2015, 11:04 AM »
Just my $ .02 worth but I wouldn't trust the Ion for THICK ice and COLD weather.  I was in the market for an auger this year to use inside my wheeler and went with a Jiffy Pro Lite.  After a few uses I am not so impressed with that either.  I thought is was underpowered.  Especially when I got to the bottom of the hole it was struggling big time to get through the last couple of inches of ice.  I'm just going to stick with my 20 year old Lazer Mag.  It still works great.  The Jiffy will be on Tradio pretty soon.

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2015, 11:08 AM »
Last year was nothing but really cold and really thick ice. Lots of us used our Ions last year with positive results.

Offline BowHunter1527

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2015, 02:03 PM »
When we were on DL a few weeks ago we watched a guy with an Ion drilling some holes. I was impressed with the way it cut. Seemed to go through the ice pretty well. I think the temps where in the single digits and the auger cut well. Not sure how many holes he had because the thing was so quite. Personally If i could afford it I think I would have one but also keep my gas as a back up.
"Did you  clip your barbs,  you remember to clip your barbs."

Offline eyeshaveit49

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2015, 07:25 PM »
Ion works well on 30"ice as well as on 12" ice.  If you can keep the battery warm, it will cut all the holes you will need to drill in a day.

Offline corny13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2015, 08:24 PM »
If you want the best SeisMec  get a gas Nils....always starts, light weight, if sharp drills easier than anything.  If you have a bad back get a Klug and put it on the Nils (Tanka) head...nothing lighter..

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2015, 08:53 AM »
Thanks guys for your honest opinions! I'll have to take a serious look at the ION now. I've also talked to a friend and he is urging me to take a look at the Jiffy Pro 4. He says he's had his out in -20°F temps with a couple of hand warmers taped to the bottle and had no problems running it. I guess that would be no different than keeping the ION battery in a soft cooler with hand warmers in it.

Offline NodakBuckeye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2015, 03:33 PM »
I have a Jiffy Pro 4 and thus far no issues and very happy with it.  5 above coldest I have used it and use nothing to keep propane warm other than keeping the bottle in truck cab on the way to the lake.

Offline Luke6515

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2015, 12:42 AM »
If your looking to go electric check out the ice gator. My dad has had one for the last 5 years and it runs like a top
icegator.com/products.html
There are some videos on utube as well

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2015, 06:59 AM »
@ luke6515    I tried contacting them last years by email and calling them but never got an answer from them. 

I liked your post on ice houses and shoes.

Offline Luke6515

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2015, 10:06 AM »
I got some contact info layn around someplace for them. I will send you a PM when I find it.

Offline fishnnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 02, 2015, 10:14 AM »
I have an Icegator with an 8" nils and it cuts unbelievable...... 2 feet of ice no problem. Mine is the 29v lithum battery and it's been great. I don't typically cut more than 20 to 30 holes a trip but it has never slowed down yet..it's a great product but a small company so sometimes getting back to you is little slow I guess...Worth your time tho...good luck

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.