The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Lowrance Ice Machines  (Read 3343 times)

Offline FlyPredatorVT

• Team IceShanty Regular
Lowrance Ice Machines
« on: Jan 27, 2015, 05:28 AM »
Just wondering if anyone here uses Lowrance electronics for hitting the ice here in VT. I'm thinking this style of sonar would work better for me than a Vex or Marcum style unit since I would also use it in the open water season pretty effectively. Nothing against Vex or Marcum- great units- I just like the vertical read out and greater flexibility for open water using a different transducer. 

I'm looking at the Lowrance Elite 4X Chirp Ice Machine. I like the features it has. Curious about durability and effectiveness. I've read a lot of positive stuff on other boards here and would love to hear some more local opinions.

Thanks!
Avid fly angler, rookie ice fisherman, lifetime fish geek

Offline tracker one

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • if you ain't gonna eat em,throw em back
Re: Lowrance Ice Machines
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2015, 06:04 AM »
 Before I bought a Vexilar I set up a Humminbird I had in my boat to use on the ice,It worked OK but it didn't like the cold weather.When it was really cold -2 degrees ,it wouldn't work.that was a long time ago and they have probably fixed this problem since then,..Anyone else using a LCD sonar on the ice?

Offline FlyPredatorVT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2015, 06:18 AM »
Thanks for that insight Tracker. This unit is made for all seasons fishing and has pretty good reviews. I'm seriously tempted...

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2015, 06:29 AM »
The Marcum LX series and Showdown are LCD, and have built in heaters. 

Offline Smelty88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2015, 06:51 AM »
LOVE my showdown!

The Marcum LX series and Showdown are LCD, and have built in heaters.
Think I'm gettin abite my flag's twitchin
twitter@wefishing2day IG: Smelty88

Offline Floatman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2015, 06:52 AM »
Ditto, Smelty.

Offline FlyPredatorVT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2015, 07:25 AM »
I've been checking out the Showdowns too, they are in the running for sure... especially the 5.6. I like the versatility that the Lowrance offers for open water though...

Offline sams

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2015, 09:14 AM »
I just picked up an elite 4x, but have only had it on the ice once.  I was jigging in 20' and it was super slow.  I did watch the one bass I caught come up and eat my bait.

I have used a bunch of different machines on open water and the elite4x seems to be a good little machine.

Sam

Offline gogetthegaff

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2015, 09:56 AM »
LOVE my showdown!
x 2! Great product.
Ice fishing is a social activity that may occasionally be interrupted by the catching of fish.

Offline tracker one

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2015, 10:24 AM »
I saw a guy with a Lowrance HDS 7 on the ice at Bomo last year,he had it in a bucket with a 12 volt battery and it worked fine,it had a flasher mode ,too,of course they are a little pricey,but it works

Offline 802spinnerbait

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishing nerd
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2015, 12:41 PM »
I have the lowrance elite 7 also -  I just ordered the Eagle PTI-WBL Portable Transducer (blue plug compatible) and another power cable.  The lowarnce ice kits apparently do not work with new blue plug units and you need to the conversion kits which typically cost another 50 plus dollars. 
Downscan imaging combined with the ice mode could prove useful. The scan times can also be jacked up to super fast so your getting the most real time look, I know the older units were a bit "laggy".

Can't wait to try mine this weekend, I know it works great in the summer!

Bob

Offline tracker one

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2015, 01:45 PM »
I have an elite-7 in my boat but I also have a Vex FL-18,much more compact and ice freindly

Offline FlyPredatorVT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2015, 01:46 PM »
I have the lowrance elite 7 also -  I just ordered the Eagle PTI-WBL Portable Transducer (blue plug compatible) and another power cable.  The lowarnce ice kits apparently do not work with new blue plug units and you need to the conversion kits which typically cost another 50 plus dollars. 
Downscan imaging combined with the ice mode could prove useful. The scan times can also be jacked up to super fast so your getting the most real time look, I know the older units were a bit "laggy".

Can't wait to try mine this weekend, I know it works great in the summer!

Bob

Cool! Thanks for the info Bob! It confirms some of what I have been reading so far... I'm going with the Elite 4!

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2015, 03:25 PM »
I've got an elite4 w/PPI kit, I  like it . This machine makes sense  for summer/winter operation.

Offline Togueslammer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2015, 08:18 PM »
I have the elite 4x with the PPI-18 ice machine package. The unit is great and couldn't be happier. I love the option of the split flasher. That way I can see real time movement and still see the bottom view.  The battery that comes with the unit is great and will last multiple fishing days. It's a great package.

Offline rabcon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2015, 04:08 AM »
We have been useing the X67's , I would not fish without a sonar. Work Great , But when I fish deeper then 50 fow I switch back to the 420. It seems to show more detail.

Offline percheater

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 28, 2015, 07:40 AM »
I have had the x67c and have used it for 4 years. This has helped me catch tons of fish that i wouldn't have in past years. I use the graph mode 99% of the time. In shallow water with lots of weeds can be tricky gettin setting right so that surface clutter doesn't go all the way to the bottom. In truth I tend to use the flasher when 5 feet or less with weeds. I won't fish without it. The only problem i ever had was last year Bomo, when it was brutal cold I got some screwey readings on depth (ice on the trans ducer). Make extra sure your transducer is level when in the water. There is a learning curve but not really difficult. The zipper handles tend to break in cold weather. I just used a plastic lock tie and works fine. For best battery life keep back light lower and charge your battery when you get home. I am going to investe in the 9amp battery soon.   
Gary Owen

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats walking on water. Life Member NAFC
« Reply #17 on: Jan 28, 2015, 09:47 AM »
I believe the Lowrance makes an ice trnasducer for their Elite4 series that guys are using on Kyacks.
Hard water Tight lines Flags up. Doesn't get any better than that

Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 29, 2015, 09:30 AM »
I've used my Lowrance X65 unit for icefishing before as well, probably the only time I've used the "flasher" mode. It works, I used one of those small brick sized batteries for it. It didn't work well when it was really cold and especially if I left it in a cold spot before bringing it out, but it was fine in a portable shanty.

Offline NH piker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm tracker2011 on MFF
« Reply #19 on: Jan 29, 2015, 10:20 AM »
I have just started to learn how to jig and fish Laker's through the ice. I have never used electronics for ice fishing either. I bought a conversion kit for my Humminbird 597ci hd unit. Found new bag with battery on ebay for $98. and I had to buy a ice transducer which was $75.  So happy so far with this set up. I really was looking at a Showdown unit but with my Humminbird I have found that the map chip is so valuable and I can't even think of going ice fishing again without it.

Offline Douger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 29, 2015, 08:32 PM »
I have an Elite 5 HDI, in an ice pack with the PTI-WBL transducer and am on my second season with it and just came back from Lake Champlain.  It is so easy to use, battery life is great, I added a quick connect plug for ease of charging the battery.  It is so easy to pick out fish in the water column or on the bottom, it's great when you see a fish come in mid column, bring up your jig to that depth and wham, fish on.  I also use it on my boat and in the canoe.

Offline Pantucci

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lowrance Ice Machines 4x Elite HDI
« Reply #21 on: Feb 02, 2015, 12:08 PM »
Just had my first chance yesterday to try out my Elite 4x HDI in 15 fow.  Bought the ice transducer, used a 6" piece of pool foam noodle for a float for (Cost $1).  Put a 12v battery in a tupperwear box inside a 5 gallon bucket.  The Lowrance mount is bolted to the top of the lid, and the battery wires come up through a hole in the the lid.  Set the bucket right next to the hole and you're in business.

I played around w the settings, I think I had noise reduction off.  When I dropped a very tiny jig I could see it clearly as a diagonal line as it dropped (did not use the flasher, its hard to see, just the normal sonar).  When it was still, it showed as a solid horizontal line.  Fish would show up as thick horizontal lines.  You could see them coming up to check out the bait (the line makes an inverted V shape).  When a school passed through, there were thick red lines everywhere, some diagonal, some horizontal-- I just dropped the jig into the center of all the activity and got hits.  So far really pleased with this unit. I didn't want to pay 400 bucks for a Vexilar, so this suits me fine for ice and summer fishing. 

Used a 12V 7Ah battery for about 6 1/2 hours and my charger tells me it's at 92% charge after all that.

Offline FlyPredatorVT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 02, 2015, 12:26 PM »
Sounds just like what I want! Thanks for the info!

Offline PickledPerch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 03, 2015, 08:04 AM »
I just picked up an Elite 5hdi this season.  So far the operation is impressive, blows my old hummingbird ice 35 out of the water.  I have only used flashers in the past so was a bit skeptical of the "slower" display  units.  So far my experience is that there is no lag time at all! It shows everything instantly on the screen in a much more user friendly display. Even works great displaying multiple lines in the shanty all on one screen. It does have a flasher mode but I find it rather useless regarding how well the other display really is.  I have found that the unit does not like being cold.  Depth indications get screwy and display seems to slow down. (Don't have to many sips and leave your electronics outside for the night!)

I really like the charting feature.  Its great to be able to mark areas you have fished as well as see contour lines when you are choosing a spot.  I went out yesterday during the storm in zero visibility and actually realized, Hey, I have a GPS! turned the unit on in my crate on the front of the wheeler and drove straight to the shanty.  Does anyone know how to disable the GPS mode to save battery? So far battery life seems ok but I really don't need to waste it when I already know where I am.

The only issue I am having with this unit is that it will randomly shut off.  Plenty of battery, unit is warm, it will just randomly shut off. Has anyone had this happen? 

Offline tracker one

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 03, 2015, 10:28 AM »
that's usually caused by a bad or loose connection to your battery,although I have had a few units in my boat do the same thing,as long as it comes right back on it's really no problem. My Elite- 7 never has done it,well,at least not yet.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 03, 2015, 07:04 PM »
I just picked up an Elite 5hdi this season.  So far the operation is impressive, blows my old hummingbird ice 35 out of the water.  I have only used flashers in the past so was a bit skeptical of the "slower" display  units.  So far my experience is that there is no lag time at all! It shows everything instantly on the screen in a much more user friendly display. Even works great displaying multiple lines in the shanty all on one screen. It does have a flasher mode but I find it rather useless regarding how well the other display really is.  I have found that the unit does not like being cold.  Depth indications get screwy and display seems to slow down. (Don't have to many sips and leave your electronics outside for the night!)

I really like the charting feature.  Its great to be able to mark areas you have fished as well as see contour lines when you are choosing a spot.  I went out yesterday during the storm in zero visibility and actually realized, Hey, I have a GPS! turned the unit on in my crate on the front of the wheeler and drove straight to the shanty.  Does anyone know how to disable the GPS mode to save battery? So far battery life seems ok but I really don't need to waste it when I already know where I am.

The only issue I am having with this unit is that it will randomly shut off.  Plenty of battery, unit is warm, it will just randomly shut off. Has anyone had this happen?

I had it happen with my LX-7.  It was from a loose connection to the battery.  Check all your wires and make sure your connections are secure.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.