The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Little paw paw lake and rainbow trout  (Read 2715 times)

Offline AustinLawrence

• IceShanty Rookie
Little paw paw lake and rainbow trout
« on: Jan 27, 2015, 02:43 AM »
I have recently started fishing little paw paw lake, I was really hoping to get into some  of the rainbows I get in the summer. I was wondering if anyone has any experience Ice fishing little paw paw lake or stocked rainbow trout in general. i have researched ice fishing trout, and I went out on a exploratory mission yesterday, the ice  was not sketchy anywhere I went, I did not mark any fish at all until right before dark, I think they were perch,  but they were very reluctant to bite.

Offline threewack

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Little paw paw lake and rainbow trout
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2015, 10:10 AM »
Shafer lake in Hartford has nice winter rainbows.

Offline stevenmang85

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got bluegill?
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2015, 10:31 AM »
The only thing I can tell you is silence is key. Don't expect to catch any if you make more than a peep or are walking around. If you target bows through the ice prepare to sit in silence the entire time.
gilliams and smeltzillas

Offline AustinLawrence

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2015, 05:06 PM »
Thank you I am gonna try stealth mode next time.

Offline iluvgillz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2015, 05:41 PM »
I live 5 min from there.  Pm me and I'll go hunting with you if u want. 

Offline chromelander

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2015, 07:07 PM »
fishing for anything in the winter is tough out there. its always been a  night bite  lake during the winter. try fishing for  trout a few feet  under the ice with lights. we havegot them close to the weeds in the shallow water also.i have often thought that around reed island would be good butwe have never caught anything in there. the trout can be anywhere in the lake during the winter and the best fishing for panfish is the west end with the marrow holes being the best at night. a few trout come from there also. we never get anything in the main part of the lake.hope this helps..

Offline wilsonmi

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2015, 08:06 PM »
There are some decent perch in there too, but I haven't quite figured them out.  What few I have were down by the narrows.  Any rainbow catch info would be good to know over the last few years.  We are planning to do a trout evaluation survey there next year.  These evaluations will partly determine the continuation of stocking so if you guys are fishing and catching or not catching, this is good info to know.  Hemlock in Cass County is to be evaluated for trout this year.  Any info would be appreciated.  PM's are fine.
Thanks,
Mike Wilson
DNR Fisheries
Plainwell

Offline AustinLawrence

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2015, 07:53 PM »
I went out again today and tried ice riggers with minnows and threw everything at them I could think of, spent most of the day there, caught a couple nice perch mid afternoon, I think the fish just wernt biting. Thank you chrome lander I am going to try night fishing them! I am going to ice some bows or die trying

Offline steelheader32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2016, 10:21 AM »
Curious to see how you did last season, ever ice any of those bows?

Offline lookinfopike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2016, 11:05 AM »
The only thing I can tell you is silence is key. Don't expect to catch any if you make more than a peep or are walking around. If you target bows through the ice prepare to sit in silence the entire time.

Fact... And when you are as quite as can be. Try to be a bit more quite. When they come in it is usually fast and hard. If you snooze you loose. But rewarding when you do hook up. Nothing like a bow through the ice on light gear.
http://www.gulllakecam.com/

Home of the "Gull Lake Smelt Factory Ice Flies"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.