Author Topic: tip ups in current  (Read 1261 times)

Offline serveprotect

• IceShanty Rookie
tip ups in current
« on: Jan 27, 2015, 12:26 AM »
I am looking to fish a big river with decent current.  I saw some guys using three way rigs with half ounce on dropper.  I would think a walleye would feel the weight and not take it.  Can anyone recommend specific setups? I was thinking a slip sinker may work, but not sure.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: tip ups in current
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2015, 12:45 AM »
How about a egg sinker with a nice split shot towards the hook end of the sinker or same with a floating jig

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2015, 05:27 AM »
I always just add a egg above the swivel on my tip up line then run 16-24" leaders for my lake and river tip ups.

Offline serveprotect

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2015, 06:09 AM »
Add any floats? / hook differently?

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2015, 04:52 PM »
You've got the right idea.... I'd use a three-way to anchor the bait reliably but with a "slip" option. So..... a three-way slip sinker. Almost a drop shot thing but with the ability to sliiiiide.....
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline serveprotect

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2015, 01:42 AM »
What do u guys think about just making a dropper about a foot long. weight on bottom w/ snap on top.  Since I usually run about a 2 foot leader, I could snap this dropper on my main line above the swivel.  This would allow the fish to pull tip up line w/o feeling resistance of a standard 3 way.  It would also allow me to keep.my current setup the same. :tipup:

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2015, 11:04 PM »
We fish big walleyes on the big river with some big current. I do main line down to barrel swivel, 3ft or so of fluoro, #12 treble. Split shot a foot above the hook, split shot another foot up, and about 1.5oz of egg sinker above the barrel swivel with a small split shot above that lol. Keeps my line down somewhat straight in some serious current. They arnt bothered a bit by the weight. Catch a lot between 6-10 pounds.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.