The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Tip-ups overnight?  (Read 4354 times)

Offline Mtfishin

• IceShanty Rookie
Tip-ups overnight?
« on: Jan 26, 2015, 09:57 PM »
Can you leave your tip ups out overnight? And come back in the morning?

Offline Golden Trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Tip-ups overnight?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2015, 11:05 PM »
yup, mostly central an eastern, not western

Offline Mtfishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2015, 11:10 PM »
Ok thank you! Thought so but wasn't sure

Offline Bucket Brigade

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wait...I have a bite
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2015, 06:43 AM »
Good way to get them either stolen or broke!
When there is ice on the lakes, I never make employee of the month!

Offline Wapiti Warrior

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2015, 07:44 AM »
They have to be marked with your name and als number too.

Offline fishin7

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't know unless you go!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2015, 08:09 AM »

Also a good way to catch a monster eye! But I usually check mine every hour or so all through out the night so I have never had a problem with someone messing with them.

Offline wirehairman

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2015, 09:05 AM »

I leave mine out overnight on a regular basis and have never had anyone mess with them.  The only one that ever got run over happened in broad daylight right in front of me.

Offline NordicJigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2015, 09:59 AM »
You just have to have your ALS # on them somewhere. I usually use a sharpie on the flag.

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2015, 10:04 AM »
in ny you must be present at all times

Offline mthuntr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2015, 10:47 AM »
I've done it several times and have caught some good fish.  You can get into tangle-ups if you're rigs are too close together or if you're on snaggy structure.  I have tipup lights on several of mine so remember to turn them off before you leave for the evening otherwise you're alerting people to your gear.  Also if it is really cold expect to spend a good amount of time gingerly breaking ice out of the holes.

Oh yeah like mentioned put your ALS number on it.  I prefer silver or white paint marker on the body of the tipup or even better those little steel tags riveted to it but permanent marker on the flag works well also.

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2015, 12:10 PM »
An unattended tip-up is a setline. 

The MT regs say:

"All lines must be attended and in the angler’s immediate control unless they are used as setlines.

Setlines may be used only on waters specified in (Central) District Exceptions.
Setlines may be used in all waters unless prohibited in the (Eastern) District Exceptions to Standard Regulations.
• Setlines must be checked by the fisherman at least once every 24 hours.
• The angler’s name and phone number or name and 9/10-digit ALS# must be attached
to each setline."

I counted 17 waterbodies in the Central District regs where setlines are allowed. As someone mentioned above, they're not allowed in the Western District.
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline wirehairman

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2015, 01:19 PM »
An unattended tip-up is a setline. 

The MT regs say:

"All lines must be attended and in the angler’s immediate control unless they are used as setlines.

Setlines may be used only on waters specified in District Exceptions.
• Setlines must be checked by the fisherman at least once every 24 hours.
• The angler’s name and phone number or name and 9/10-digit ALS# must be attached
to each setline."

I counted 17 waterbodies in the Central District regs where setlines are allowed and 6 in the Eastern. As someone mentioned above, they're not allowed in the Western District.

Actually, the regulations for the Eastern District say, "Setlines may be used in all waters unless prohibited in the District Exceptions to Standard Regulations."

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2015, 01:45 PM »
Good catch, thanks.  Corrected above.
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2015, 05:57 PM »
We always leave ours overnight. The only ones that ever get messed with are at Nelson. Probably drunks from the bar in the middle of the night. You can always tell because they never put the line back down the hole right, and it's frozen in to the ice in the morning. It doesn't always happen, but enough to really hate it! I have my name and phone number on mine. >:(

Offline wirehairman

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2015, 10:25 AM »
We always leave ours overnight. The only ones that ever get messed with are at Nelson. Probably drunks from the bar in the middle of the night. You can always tell because they never put the line back down the hole right, and it's frozen in to the ice in the morning. It doesn't always happen, but enough to really hate it! I have my name and phone number on mine. >:(

Oddly enough, the one tip-up I mentioned getting run over was on Nelson.  Some guy on a four wheeler cruised right through our tip-ups (3 guys x 6 each) and ran over one of mine right in front of me.  He was totally oblivious and wasted.

Offline Luvinfishun

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 02, 2015, 08:41 PM »
If you are leaving your tip-ups in over nite or even during a cold day - you should be using hole covers.  They are expensive to buy but to make your own - go to Lowes and get some of the speciality mats for standing 4x4 ($20.00) and cut your own.  You will never be sorry and you won’t have to chip out another tip-up. We have even used carpet padding! 

Offline wirehairman

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 03, 2015, 11:24 AM »
If you are leaving your tip-ups in over nite or even during a cold day - you should be using hole covers.  They are expensive to buy but to make your own - go to Lowes and get some of the speciality mats for standing 4x4 ($20.00) and cut your own.  You will never be sorry and you won’t have to chip out another tip-up. We have even used carpet padding!

Yep.  My buddies gave me a ton of crap when I first bought hole covers.  After a few mornings trying to chip out their tip ups while I had skim ice around mine, they all bought them or figured out how to make some.

Offline nutinbutjiggin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 04, 2015, 07:22 AM »
Thanks luvinfishun.   I will be doing that from now on.  Can't believe I hadn't thought of it before.

Sounds like the way to go. Any chance we could get a picture of this set up?

Offline creepincm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 04, 2015, 09:12 AM »
We just cut 12x12 pieces of plywood with a hole big enough in the center for the shaft of your tip up to fit in.  Skillsaw from one side of the board to each side of the hole (2 cuts) for your tip up to slide in and out of. These work plenty good and even with -20 degree nights in fort peck we still only have a thin layer of ice.

Offline Luvinfishun

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 04, 2015, 09:18 PM »
We are talking the same build creepincm, only the mats are lighter weight and more flexible to pull up off of the ice.  Each his preference.  Still cheaper than buying them.

Offline big whopper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 06, 2015, 03:47 PM »
I got these interlocking foam pads at Sams Club for $28. Comed in a pack of 8 and i got 4 covers off each pad roughly 11" across They work very well. Good luck fishing!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.