The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: LINE RESTRICTIONS  (Read 2370 times)

Offline new on the ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
LINE RESTRICTIONS
« on: Jan 26, 2015, 08:16 PM »
 Please explain. If you read the ice fishing section It states, it is unlawful to use more than 3 rods or handlines. then 2 papagraphs down iy states the it is unlawful to use more than 5 devices including rods handlines or tipups. **censored**

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
Re: LINE RESTRICTIONS
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2015, 08:19 PM »
All I can say is government.  I worked for the local government for many years…what a joke with contraindicating rules.  That is why I am no longer there…could not take it anymore.

Offline Indiana_Lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2015, 08:21 PM »
New on the ice, Sounds to me like you are looking at an old regulation. A few years back they made any five or combination of five devices is legal through the ice. So five rods. One rod, four tip-ups. Two rods, three tip-ups, etc, etc. They felt the devices were becoming more and more difficult to distinguish differences. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong please.   Lou

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2015, 08:21 PM »
Makes perfect sense to me. You can use 5 total rods and tipups but only 3 can be rods maximum. So 5 tipups or 3 rods and 2 tipups.. or 4 tipups and 1 rod . Handlines are not tipups.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline fisher 74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2015, 08:22 PM »
your allowed 3 rods or hand lines when regular/open water fishing but ice fishing you can have 5 combined devices tip ups rods and hand lines combined

Offline Eddie Spaghetti

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2015, 08:31 PM »
Right from the book...

ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT – It is unlawful while ice fishing to use more than five fishing devices, which may consist of rods, hand lines, tip-ups or any combination. Each device shall contain a single fishing line with no restriction on the number of hooks used for fishing, except when fishing in the Pymatuning Reservoir where no more than three hooks shall be attached to each line. Holes cut in ice may not exceed 10 inches between the farthest points as measured in any direction. All lines, rods or tip-ups shall be under the immediate control of the person using them. On Fish & Boat Commission lakes, shelters or shanties must be removed when through fishing for the day.

Offline Indiana_Lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2015, 08:38 PM »
Thank you Eddie. Couldn't of said it better myself! The three rod change was made for open water this past January, 2014. And the any five device through the ice was changed probably three years ago. But better to be certain than have the WCO correct you. That usually cost you money.   Lou

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2015, 08:52 PM »
Of course "under immediate control" is completely open to interpretation of the WCO. Goodness help you if you take a pee during a slow bite.  ::)

Offline nite eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That Sunsab Itch!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2015, 09:44 PM »
Of course "under immediate control" is completely open to interpretation of the WCO. Goodness help you if you take a pee during a slow bite.  ::)
That's funny cause I had a friend that got a ticket a few years back on Mauck Chunk for running to the shoreline to take a leak.  He took it to court and the judge threw it out.  The judge actually laughed and told the officer a 17 year old kid could be doing alot worse. The deputy who wrote the ticket was pissed...
TEAM ICEHOLES

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2015, 10:19 PM »
Yep I run my tip ups 200 yards away sometimes and keep binoculars with me so I can always see them plus walk around and check them every hour or so and never been bothered. On the other hand when me and bunch of buddies had a big get together. We were spread out fishing, come lunch time we all came together to grab a few burgers and hot dogs and a co was busting balls to a few of the guys that had tip ups in 50-100 yards away from where we were eating. Geez you think Co would be happy to see guys with kids and groups of friends out enjoying a fun day of fishing.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2015, 07:53 AM »
with that rule book shoved up their ass they are never happy ;Dit must be uncomfortable ::)

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2015, 08:54 AM »
There's always a meat-head in the bunch no matter what group you're talking about.

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Anchorage Alaska - Can't get home fast enuf!!!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2015, 09:41 AM »
Now to all the Co's reading this, here is the easiest ticket in the world:

10 inch hole measured in any direction

Anyone who uses a 10 inch auger is out of compliance since a measure from the top of the hole to a point at the bottom of the hole directly across from the top point will always be greater than 10 inches.  Same goes for anyone fishing more than 10 inches of ice.

The rule needs to define "10 inches as measured on the same horizontal plane"

We set trot lines now during the summer for eels in these blue ribbon trout streams of the north.  I'll set a 50 hook line in the brodhead, and i'm building a 100 hook line for the delaware.  You should hear the fly fisherman screaming at us how illegal an act we're committing.  We tell them all the time, call the co, they swear they will, never been checked at night yet.  I'll sit a few feet from the end of the line and fish with a regular rod to be under immediate control.  Funny the Russians haven't figured out how to set trot lines under the ice yet.

Dr. JM
My private lakes: Laurel, Gruber, Emerald complex (Mountaintop, E Emerald, W Emerald, Pine Tree, Deer, Lower Deer, Halfmoon, Hunter, Little Mountaintop), Leisure Lk, Leisure Pd, Monroe, Tego, Little Tego, Upper Spring, Pocono Summit, Blue Mountain.  I want Naomi, Paupacken, and Hallowood and I'll chase the dream called Pocono Lake

Offline new on the ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2015, 11:05 AM »
Right from the book...

ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT – It is unlawful while ice fishing to use more than five fishing devices, which may consist of rods, hand lines, tip-ups or any combination. Each device shall contain a single fishing line with no restriction on the number of hooks used for fishing, except when fishing in the Pymatuning Reservoir where no more than three hooks shall be attached to each line. Holes cut in ice may not exceed 10 inches between the farthest points as measured in any direction. All lines, rods or tip-ups shall be under the immediate control of the person using them. On Fish & Boat Commission lakes, shelters or shanties must be removed when through fishing for the day.
Also, States 
RODS, LINES, AND HOOKS – An angler may use a maximum of three lines fished either by rod or hand when fishing for gamefish, baitfish or both. It is unlawful for a person to fish with more than three fishing rods at a time. There is no restriction on the number of hooks used on each fishing line. All rods, lines and hooks shall be under the immediate control of the person using them. 

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2015, 11:09 AM »
Also, States 
RODS, LINES, AND HOOKS – An angler may use a maximum of three lines fished either by rod or hand when fishing for gamefish, baitfish or both. It is unlawful for a person to fish with more than three fishing rods at a time. There is no restriction on the number of hooks used on each fishing line. All rods, lines and hooks shall be under the immediate control of the person using them.
your point? A trot line is one line, and has an unlimited amount of hooks. use to be illegal when there was a maximum of 3 hooks on a line but now that they changed it it is perfectly legal. Not that I agree with it

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 27, 2015, 12:07 PM »
I don't think anyone would agree with it......except a die hard eel fisherman.  Maybe a Mississippi catfisherman.  Oh, and Russians and Asians for sure.  Luckily the logistics of trotlines suck so I don't know of anyone who does it even though 1000 hook lines run from route 80 to the kittatiny bend would be completely legal. 

I can hear the smallmouthaholics screaming now.

Dr. JM
My private lakes: Laurel, Gruber, Emerald complex (Mountaintop, E Emerald, W Emerald, Pine Tree, Deer, Lower Deer, Halfmoon, Hunter, Little Mountaintop), Leisure Lk, Leisure Pd, Monroe, Tego, Little Tego, Upper Spring, Pocono Summit, Blue Mountain.  I want Naomi, Paupacken, and Hallowood and I'll chase the dream called Pocono Lake

Offline slabhappy56

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Work is for people who don't FISH.
« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2015, 01:01 PM »
If a co wants to give me a ticket for my ice holes being more than 10 inches,I'll take every one of them along with my auger which measures 10 inches across all day long and walk out of court laughing..As far as the 3 rod rule goes,If the fish are hitting well 2 rods are too much some times anyway so who needs 3 to begin with....Just saying..Slabhappy.
Having been away from ice fishing for a number of years, I now have the time to enjoy one of my favorite pastimes. I have enjoyed reading the posts from long time members and to read how you all help one another with no animosity between you.I am looking forward to chatting with you all...slabhappy.

Offline new on the ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 27, 2015, 03:15 PM »
This thread wasn't started to talk about trot lines. I am ice fishing. No need for those. The reason for the post is that I like to set up 4-5 close holes. with a palm rod in each while watching the spring bobbers. Usually while bluegill or trout fishing. One way you read the regulation I am permitted. The other interpretation I am breaking the law. Which is it?

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 27, 2015, 03:24 PM »
Ice fish legal, open water illegal. Pretty simple. The the ice your allowed 5 of anything, 5 rods, 5 tip ups, 4 rods 1 tip up,3 tip ups 1 rod 1 handline etc. Open water 3 rods or hand lines max.

Offline subtlehustle76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 27, 2015, 03:35 PM »
It's written pretty clear to me.
"Nice bass thumb, wanna see my pickerel d!ck?"

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 27, 2015, 03:52 PM »
Sorry about the trotline things, guys, my hijack.

But here's another grey area right in line with this thread - one for you delawareriver.

On the Delaware between NY and PA when icefishing, is it PA's 5 devices or NY's special 7 (isn't it 5 tips and 2 rods???)  Always been an argument between me and skihunter.

If all I have on me is my NY license, parked on the NY side, walk on via NY, I would think NY regs would apply.  By the same token, having my name on my tip-ups is required by NY regs, so if I only have 5 out, do I still need my name on my tip-ups given I'm fishing under PA regs with my PA license in my pocket, parked in PA and walked on in PA.

I know the craziness between NJ and PA with needing to know the centerline of the river and follow that states rules.  NY and PA make no distinction that way, and its always a funny argument.

Dr. JM

Offline fishbone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 27, 2015, 03:58 PM »
if your a ny angler---i would follow ny rules----------------if your a pa angler from pa----i would follow pa rules

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 27, 2015, 04:58 PM »

But here's another grey area right in line with this thread - one for you delawareriver.

On the Delaware between NY and PA when icefishing, is it PA's 5 devices or NY's special 7 (isn't it 5 tips and 2 rods???)  Always been an argument between me and skihunter.

If all I have on me is my NY license, parked on the NY side, walk on via NY, I would think NY regs would apply.  By the same token, having my name on my tip-ups is required by NY regs, so if I only have 5 out, do I still need my name on my tip-ups given I'm fishing under PA regs with my PA license in my pocket, parked in PA and walked on in PA.

I know the craziness between NJ and PA with needing to know the centerline of the river and follow that states rules.  NY and PA make no distinction that way, and its always a funny argument.

Dr. JM

I found the trot line funny because for years it was illegal but since they changed it to unlimited hooks it makes them fair game. I don't think they meant for it to happen that way but it did.

the way I understood it is number 1 boarder water regulations apply when specified. Number 2 if no regulations specifically say you need to follow the regulations by which state you are fishing. Doesn't matter which license you have as either are valid on the water body as it is stated (I believe same as PA and Nj you can fish either shore or any side of the river with either license) . If you are ice fishing new york side of the river you need to follow new york regulations  as in having tip ups labeled even if you have a PA license. If ice fishing PA side you need to follow PA regulations example would be no more then 5 fishing devices even if you have a new york license.

Offline russelln114

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 27, 2015, 06:34 PM »
If a co wants to give me a ticket for my ice holes being more than 10 inches,I'll take every one of them along with my auger which measures 10 inches across all day long and walk out of court laughing..As far as the 3 rod rule goes,If the fish are hitting well 2 rods are too much some times anyway so who needs 3 to begin with....Just saying..Slabhappy.

I think the added extra rod rule is very helpful when trolling. Now i  can cover more water.

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 27, 2015, 06:39 PM »
I think the added extra rod rule is very helpful when trolling. Now i can can cover more water.
carp and catfish anglers sure love thr extra rod as well.

Offline nite eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That Sunsab Itch!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 27, 2015, 06:48 PM »

Dr. JM
When it comes to NJ and PA, Im positive that you can fish either shore of the river with either lisence - I've been checked many times fishing from the Jersey side with only a PA lisence.  Also I believe the delaware has its own set of regs... at least between PA and NJ. Walleye have a 3 fish limit at 18'' min. and Stripers have to be 28" to keep...
TEAM ICEHOLES

Offline Eddie Spaghetti

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 27, 2015, 07:22 PM »
Also, States 

Read what I posted, as it is directly out of the book, under ICE FISHING. What you are posting is for all other times of the year.

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 27, 2015, 07:56 PM »
When it comes to NJ and PA, Im positive that you can fish either shore of the river with either lisence - I've been checked many times fishing from the Jersey side with only a PA lisence.  Also I believe the delaware has its own set of regs... at least between PA and NJ. Walleye have a 3 fish limit at 18'' min. and Stripers have to be 28" to keep...
very true but what are the regulations while ice fishing? That's what we are discussing And since it doesn't specify you need to follow which ever state you are fishing.

Offline nite eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That Sunsab Itch!
« Reply #28 on: Jan 27, 2015, 09:00 PM »
very true but what are the regulations while ice fishing? That's what we are discussing And since it doesn't specify you need to follow which ever state you are fishing.
What's the difference if im sitting on a boat or on the ice? Why would the regs change... Ahh, I get it now... takes slow minds like me a while :)
TEAM ICEHOLES

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 27, 2015, 09:34 PM »
Cause they do and it's not fair :'(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.