The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Swan Lake, Allegan  (Read 3162 times)

Offline greggy2belly

• IceShanty Rookie
Swan Lake, Allegan
« on: Jan 26, 2015, 02:14 PM »
Anyone been on the ice yet this year?  Heard they've had a few tournaments up there, but haven't heard how it turned out or how the ice was.  Headed up from Chicago to our cottage this weekend and looking to see if anyone has been up there this year, and what worked/didn't work.  I know there are good spots.  But at least want to make sure the ice is good and thick enough.

Thanks,
Greg

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Swan Lake, Allegan
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2015, 02:20 PM »
quads and snowmobiles tearing around all day.tons of people, tourneys almost every weekend.that lake takes a beating.yes there is ice though..not the most peaceful lake to fish.

Offline greggy2belly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2015, 02:28 PM »
Ok thanks Speckler.  I hope since it's SuperBowl weekend, not as many people.  Came up the same time last year, couldn't have been more then 20 people on the lake.  Thanks for the info though.

Offline essox hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2015, 02:29 PM »
yah its crazy how much pressure that lake gets.
amazing it keeps producing yr after yr.

Offline Jawbreaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2015, 02:40 PM »
I fished that lake regularly 15-20 years ago and remember being the only one on the lake most of the time. I have not ice fished it in 15 years.  What made the pressure explode? 

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2015, 02:53 PM »
I think the internet had something to do with all the pressure.ive never been out there without the parking lot full and people parking all along the road.

Offline essox hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2015, 03:17 PM »
I live close by and fish few times a yr  at least.I used to fish it more but I almost feel bad taking fish from it now.
the pike tournaments made a huge impact on pressure.
but what really seemed to make the biggest difference was the Holland sentinel did a huge write up on swan lake in there paper and bunch of people bragged up the fishing,they also posted swan lake store as a place to get fishing report and gave out there phone #. The next year was ice madness and it hasn't stopped for years now.

Offline Jawbreaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2015, 03:19 PM »
Is it still producing pike? Used to spit out 7" crappie but nothing worth keeping it seemed

Offline essox hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2015, 03:53 PM »
yah still produces pike,thankfully it has great breading habitat in 2 of its outlets

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2015, 03:55 PM »
I live close by and fish few times a yr  at least.I used to fish it more but I almost feel bad taking fish from it now.
the pike tournaments made a huge impact on pressure.
but what really seemed to make the biggest difference was the Holland sentinel did a huge write up on swan lake in there paper and bunch of people bragged up the fishing,they also posted swan lake store as a place to get fishing report and gave out there phone #. The next year was ice madness and it hasn't stopped for years now.
I forgot about the paper write up.i cant figure out why there is a tourney there about every weekend.whats the fun in having a tourney at the same lake all the time?

Offline essox hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2015, 04:00 PM »
I forgot about the paper write up.i cant figure out why there is a tourney there about every weekend.whats the fun in having a tourney at the same lake all the time?
I fish the tournaments sometimes,and swan is there go to lake when there other choices have iffy ice.
they like the lakes to be safe for machines but not always possible.
I haven't fished either tournament this year,and I totally agree its not fun fishing same lake over and over.
1/31 is not at swan lake its at pine lake east of plainwell.i may fish it usually a lot of  pike caught at pine lake(s)
a lot of hammer handles but usually a flag fest.

Offline Jawbreaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2015, 04:41 PM »
maybe I need to go back to swan to see some flags fly.  if you guys ever want to go, let me know.  I'd like to fish it again for old times sake. 

Offline gaustin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2015, 04:54 PM »
I think the internet had something to do with all the pressure.ive never been out there without the parking lot full and people parking all along the road.

Look at the Gull lake thread, about the same 6-8 guys posting info and reports with over 10,000 views. Doesn't take a math scholar to figure the percentage of cyber scouters pounding that lake.
Gregg Austin

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2015, 05:51 PM »
Ahh swan lake. I had my eyes opened to the negative side of the web and the power of the pen. I learned a lot about abuse of information. I wrote at least a dozen nasty letters to the author of that write up in the holland sentinal. I got into squabbles with fellow members here about sharing info. On that lake, and many others. Honestly it is what lead to me get to get banned from this site for a few years. It was a learning experience. I learned the hard way what the true extent of technology can do to nature.

OP....... I have no problem at all with you asking any info about swan or any other lake in the area. I wish you the best of luck. Swan Lake will never be the same as it was before the"Hollywood" treatment it got.
Bullet with a name on it.

Offline cnewby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2015, 07:23 PM »
Watch out for the locals....

Offline Jawbreaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 26, 2015, 07:34 PM »
Cnewby-- what you mean locals?

As for sharing info I didn't want to start a discussion on that. I was simply stating that 15-20 years ago I was the only one in that lake. Never saw more than 6 people on there at once. I'm just trying to understand why so many people fish it when it doesn't seem all that good. I fish it in the summer quite often and still never see more than a 7" crappie and occasional bass. What is all the fuss about

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 26, 2015, 07:36 PM »
 Back in the mid 60's I use to have a spearing shanty on there. It was a great pike lake and at that time you could catch a limit of gills anytime. They never run very big but were big enough to eat. On Sundays you could not find a spot to park. This was before they built the new landing there. The road to the landing use to go straight where the blacktop curves around. Then I was lucky enough to get a free trip to another country for a couple years and when I got back the whole lake had changed. I fished it about 10 years ago and it was ok but there were better lakes in the area 

Offline greggy2belly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 27, 2015, 08:12 AM »
Thaks for the the info everyone.  I am more than happy with the lake itself compared to some friends who have places in more populated Michigan areas.  I'm never worried about too many boats in the summer time or others on the ice.  The only thing that got me upset was last year ice fishing people were parked by our cottage off 105th and Oak Dr.  and using our property to haul supplies through.  And as long as people are respectful, they can be out there I have no problem with it.  And I'm not looking to keep the fish to eat, just have some fun with buddies.  I always do catch and release.

Offline cnewby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 27, 2015, 10:43 AM »
Jawbreaker - I was referring to the rough crowd that inhabits that area/fishes that lake. Not saying there aren't good people out there, but definitely a lot of druggies as well.

Offline stevenmang85

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got bluegill?
« Reply #19 on: Jan 27, 2015, 11:55 AM »
This thread has definetly got me thinking more than any other thread I've seen... Tight lines everyone!
gilliams and smeltzillas

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #20 on: Jan 27, 2015, 12:03 PM »
Jawbreaker - I was referring to the rough crowd that inhabits that area/fishes that lake. Not saying there aren't good people out there, but definitely a lot of druggies as well.
I does get crowded..but I don't agree with this statement.i haven't ever witnessed any druggy crowds/gangs.dnr is present.it gets loud though from people watching other people tip up flags and they like to yell flag up.maybe there is a group of druggies but I never fish in the crowd ever.

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 27, 2015, 12:06 PM »
I miss the old swan lake!  Loose lips sink ships

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 27, 2015, 12:07 PM »
 I cannot speak of present times but back in the mid 70's there was a group of kids that always hung around the cars in the parking lot. Many cars were broken into. The sheriff start checks and the kids quit coming around. Someone on the lake said they lived to the east of the lake

Offline essox hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 27, 2015, 12:40 PM »
well maybe we can help the lakes fish population by scaring everyone into not fishing it due to druggies,over crowding and parking lot thefts ;D.
kinda sounds like the Allegan dam.
ive never had a problem with anyone at that lake,now a couple lakes in van buren co. that's different story.
my buddy came back to a boat launch 1 night in the summer to 4 slashed tires.

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 27, 2015, 02:13 PM »
 Nothing like coming in to load your boat and find that someone stole the rollers and bunks off your trailer

Offline essox hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 27, 2015, 02:17 PM »
Nothing like coming in to load your boat and find that someone stole the rollers and bunks off your trailer
UGGH!
or putting my boat into lake 14 while a guy and his girl are getting drunk as skunks shore fishing and proceed to have a full blown domestic dispute where there both exchanging full out punches and swearing like sailors it was unreal!

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 27, 2015, 05:42 PM »
I was talking to the guy working at plainwell bait and tackle this afternoon. He said that there were 125 people registered at the swan lake pike tournament last weekend. Think about that for a minute.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #27 on: Jan 27, 2015, 06:12 PM »
I was talking to the guy working at plainwell bait and tackle this afternoon. He said that there were 125 people registered at the swan lake pike tournament last weekend. Think about that for a minute.
I was there but not in the tourney.for that many people  there wasn't a single person by me except for my bro in laws.i like that the tourneys are over at 2:00.then its seems  like a ghostown.haha

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 27, 2015, 07:56 PM »
Why do u care RC?!  U don't even fish pannies anymore!

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 27, 2015, 08:18 PM »
You are right vex, I do not care. I guess I was more surprised more than anything. 3 tip ups multiplied by 125...... That is 375 tip ups on a pretty much round lake. That surprises me, about like a pink clown walking into a sporting goods store.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.