The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Eskimo mako 8" blades  (Read 542 times)

Offline Reel trouble

• Team IceShanty Addict
Eskimo mako 8" blades
« on: Jan 26, 2015, 11:54 AM »
I just got my first power auger and wanted to pick up a spare set of blades for it.  I cant find any of the Eskimo brand ones that are made in Sweden. Will something interchange with it that is made out of good Swedish steel ? they look a lot like the flat Mora style except there serrated.

Offline davef

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Eskimo mako 8" blades
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2015, 12:01 PM »
Hopefully someone can give you a better answer but when I bought a used Eskimo 8 inch auger about 10 years ago it came with a single mora style blade that had the serations.  The blade was shot and I wanted to fish and I had another 8 inch regular mora blade laying around.  I put it on and the auger cut fine.  If you all ready have a similar un-serated blade you don't have much to lose by trying it.

Maybe be sure to have a good grip on the auger and keep your feet as far away as possible in case in kicks around but I'd think it will work.

Offline Reel trouble

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2015, 12:54 PM »
It has the center point that i think would keep it from kicking out. I was wondering if maybe the regular mora blades would have the same bolt pattern.  Thank you for the reply hopefully someone has tried it out there and knows if they will work :)

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2015, 01:04 PM »
I'm pretty sure those are Quantum Blades on it. Just by another set. You will not find any blades for Eskimo's that are not made in China. I have a spare set and just touch up my blades every other trip. They cut just fine.
<===Lefty===

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2015, 01:07 PM »
No. Mine are just now starting to dull. Well they are dull, but just now starting to slow the cutting down. Id guess about 1000 holes on those blades. Probably more. Probably go ahead and finish the season on them if I can, so another 1000 hopefully. They are good blades for being chinese.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Reel trouble

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2015, 01:47 PM »
Thanks Guys If there a pretty good blade that lasts that long I will just pick up a spare Eskimo set, i have just heard of problems with Chinese blades and was concerned 

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2015, 02:28 PM »
Just touch them up. If I can do it anyone can. I use a magic marker and cover the cutting edge with it. Then I use a Diamond stone or an Smiths fine stone and take off just the marker. Not completely but most of it. I then hit the back side a couple of times and their done. Cuts great for the next two outings. If you happen to ding them then it takes a little more effort.
<===Lefty===

Offline Reel trouble

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2015, 07:35 PM »
I will give it a try Lefty, Just wanted to have one spare set just encase :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.