The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Keyhole ice walleye 2014-15  (Read 11868 times)

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Keyhole ice walleye 2014-15
« Reply #60 on: Jan 31, 2015, 06:14 AM »
You are probably not the only one catching fish, my question would be why are you keeping all those small fish?

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Jan 31, 2015, 12:08 PM »
Thanks for the idea about the standout hook. I will be giving it a try tonight at Deaver reservior on a couple of Jawjackers.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Jan 31, 2015, 12:11 PM »
You are probably not the only one catching fish, my question would be why are you keeping all those small fish?

If you look above at another Sawyer post in the thread Cargo, I believe he states if the walleye looks like it isn't going to go back down the hole and survive, he'll keep it rather than having it die.

Offline David Sawyer

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ain't catchin if you ain't fishin
« Reply #63 on: Jan 31, 2015, 01:36 PM »
Ya, that's correct
I catch a lot more than in the pics, I try to fight them up slowly if they feel small. But if I have any doubts the fish won't survive it goes in my limit.
Best regards-David Sawyer

Offline David Sawyer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Feb 01, 2015, 11:06 AM »
I've hit some decent perch on that bottom jig, one of these days I might finally hook a 2 lb perch to go on the wall!

Offline WyoIceFisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Feb 02, 2015, 11:05 PM »
We hooked a few nicer ones another 10 ft deeper from where we fished previously. Thanks for the info and the help. Had a good time. Maybe it will be better next time. None the less thats fishing and we had fun. Stay in touch.

Offline jmarti1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Feb 05, 2015, 09:30 AM »
David,

On your yarn rig, do you catch more on the live minnow with the yarn, or on the jig head part?

thanks,
jmarti1

Offline David Sawyer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Feb 09, 2015, 04:07 PM »
Jmarti1

I have not used the yarn rig much lately, but what I like to do is put it on the bottom Jig, I take a Jig MOLD hook with the widest gap possible and attach my own split shot to the rig according to the size of minnow heads im using and the depth im fishing. after attaching the split shot to the hook, I attach a one inch strip of yarn (glow yarn seems to work well or anything other than green, it absolutely can not look like seaweed) Tie it on next to the split shot in the center of the bundle. when you let go it turns into a ball, then trim the ball so that it bareley covers around the  split shot, you can also attach the bundle of yarn within the crimp of the split shot.

One thing for certain...It works well some days..and other days the fish wont touch it.

I generally use it when im looking for smaller eater size fish....they are the ones that tend to nibble and exhale in the blink of an EYE!

when im hitting bigger fish..I do not use it...In my own personal speculation, if a bigger fish is going to inhale my bait...I should not need yarn to help, then again, there are just some(MOST) days that the bigger SMARTER fish can be super finicky and the most plain & natural presentation keeps their simple minds on a simple natural meal.

Hope that helps

Offline David Sawyer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #68 on: Feb 09, 2015, 04:31 PM »
Below is a pic of my Saturday Stringer

I had to be present in billings for my National Guard duty on Saturday (1st day of the weekend Derby)
I made it home by 11PM Saturday night, geared up, got some sleep and headed out to meet Melissa at "R-Place" at 7AM to purchase a ticket.

Really guys, I was thinking chances were slim on placing in the tournament and was pretty sure somebody on the lake would have nailed a bigger eye than 22" through the entire weekend.

I am very thank full and did fulfill my main intent of entering for the day on Sunday, to meet some more folks and just get to know some "good-ol-Boys"

I am not going to share much on how I caught my stringer of eyes, because the methods I use are the same as I have stated in the past..

Although, I will add a few words of wisdom that I used to help me along the way and can be found anywhere on the NET with a little research on your part!

Consider, the weather lately on Keyhole..bright sunny days, very warm temps...creating melting conditions and perhaps run off?
Consider what this does to the lake in certain places in accordance with water temp and clarity?

Where do you suppose the baitfish will be?

Where do you suppose the walleye will be on a warm sunny day......how far must they travel to the baitfish.....(Hopefully a very short distance from deep dark water)

on a final note, I had a pleasure meeting all the guys who I was able to talk with during the awards ceremony, Im glad I was able to share and trade some knowledge with all of you who attended and look forward to getting in at least one trip with each of you in the future.

Did the Jig matter? YES
Did I catch any fish on the Jig that day? NO, not even the perch

One more thing, Im looking for a Local guy...
who has a nice walleye in the freezer, or whoever gets one in the near future, looking for something nice...say 28" plus?
I do national award taxidermy as a hobby in my spare time.....I would like to mount up a nice walleye...
Stipulation: you PAY the material cost (about 75$)...I will mount the fish...It must remain on display at a local establishment in Pine Haven.....R-place, the Anchor? your choice
First come, first serve...one time only opportunity, Thank you

Offline NitroChukar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #69 on: Feb 10, 2015, 11:48 AM »
Congratulations on your first place finish in the derby.

Offline WyoIceFisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #70 on: Feb 11, 2015, 08:37 AM »
David,

Congrats man. Good to meet you and goodluck in your future tourneys man. If you are ever down this way hit me up well go catch some fish.

Offline David Sawyer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #71 on: Feb 13, 2015, 12:53 AM »
Wow!
I'm literally jaw dropped right now!
I had a guy private message me, ha pretty much said I wasn't fishing my normal spot and asked where I moved on the lake...I told the guy I went south....
Well, that waSnt good enough....this guy literally wanted me to hold his hand, change his diaper and input grid coordinates for him!!!

Listen guys; I'm a knowledgable person, a good guy to know...I offer some help for folks who ask....

But! Last time I went fishing... There were three shacks set up each I n top of the last three places ice been on the lake....  Sorry guys, I'm done helping

If anyone wants more info, your gonna have to get off your lazy rear and meet me in person, like some good ol local boys have already done. I appreciate their kind of efforts...

Other than that....ice shanty has lost another "real" fisherman!
Those of you I've met....I'll see you where the fish are biting, and I'll have a bruskie waiting!

Best regards-Dave

Offline Dirty P

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #72 on: Feb 13, 2015, 08:53 AM »
thanks david for your all of your info. it seems like alot of guys are starting to be that way. hope you dont leave the site but understand if you do.this site in my opion is to help each other become better fishermen and to tell some stories all for the love of icefishing, im with you, im will to help if someone want to meet but im not going to do all of the work for ya. getting out and doing some of the work is part of icefishing and if you get skunked thats just part of the game we play.
Remember what grandpa would always say. " Where's the beer? and you call yourself a fisherman!"

Offline zjlooney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Feb 13, 2015, 10:19 AM »
Wow!
I had a guy private message me, ha pretty much said I wasn't fishing my normal spot and asked where I moved on the lake...I told the guy I went south....
Well, that waSnt good enough....this guy literally wanted me to hold his hand, change his diaper and input grid coordinates for him!!!

Listen guys; I'm a knowledgable person, a good guy to know...I offer some help for folks who ask....

But! Last time I went fishing... There were three shacks set up each I n top of the last three places ice been on the lake....  Sorry guys, I'm done helping

If anyone wants more info, your gonna have to get off your lazy rear and meet me in person, like some good ol local boys have already done. I appreciate their kind of efforts...

Those of you I've met....I'll see you where the fish are biting, and I'll have a bruskie waiting!

Best regards-Dave

I wouldn't leave the shanty just because one person rubbed you the wrong way.  When you put yourself out there to provide information some people are going to assume you'll just tell them everything they could ever want to know and then some.  I was amazed that you gave as much information as you did.  I think most people in this group will provide and share basic information to help folks go out and do it on their own, and from what I've seen, thats all most people want.  If they don't want to do a little work on their own then maybe this isn't the sport for them.  Just remember that every time you share a favorite fishing spot, a cute little puppy dies  ;)   

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #74 on: Feb 13, 2015, 11:04 AM »
Wow!

Best regards-Dave

I think these forums are great to share basic information.  But it is never a good idea to share specifics over the internet unless you want your spots to be ruined IMHO!  Years ago, I worked at a fly shop, and there were certain customers we would describe as "which rock should I stand on and what should I use?" types.  They can never be pleased....

Stay on here, post your pictures and keep the location information vague! 

Offline Mac daddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Feb 13, 2015, 09:14 PM »
I thought you were sharing too much info from the start. You seem like a very knowledgeable fisherman, and good guy. I post ice conditions, how fishing was vaguely, road conditions. You have to remember hundreds of people reading posts and looking at pics trying to gather info on jigs and locations. Share only what you want world to know.

Offline Super-ice-bird

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That's a fifth next to that brown!
« Reply #76 on: Feb 14, 2015, 01:40 AM »
Wow!

Best regards-Dave

Dave, I have followed this thread since you started it and I found your hook/jig setup particularly interesting. I don't live around that part of the state and have never fished keyhole. So, I'm going to maybe try it elsewhere in Wyoming when ever the ice comes back. Don't let a couple of annoying conversations here stop you from enjoying the sight (unfortunately that happens once in awhile).
Come on fish!

Offline Icephishwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Feb 15, 2015, 06:31 PM »
This site has a lot to give
And takes twice as much
It is hard to judge the Internet as the simplest form of fishing that we as ice fishermen have been enjoying are whole life has become open to the hole world of where a fish might be?
Keep your friends close and your family closer ;)
Much love to the iceshanty  people!
Phish

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #78 on: Feb 15, 2015, 07:31 PM »
I think it would be a bigger problem if you lived in Texas or California... don't think there are enough people fishing in Wyoming to make a difference either way.  There are plenty of fish for everybody... sharing techniques, tactics or even locations in my opinion won't compromise a lake.... the best online fishing communites (there are more than iceshanty) have people who are willing to share information... don't let one person change what kind of person you are.

To each their own. 

Offline WYOBEAR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Feb 16, 2015, 10:11 AM »
You're a fool to believe that there aren't enough people to affect our lakes.  Living next to Colorado, I see a larger number of out of state people utilizing our resources.  The fishery itself may be ok but enjoying it is a different story. Just try to find a camping spot at Glendo in the summer or a site in the Sierra Madres in Sep or Oct.   IS is a great tool but easily taken advantage of.  I appreciate everyone's road reports and ice conditions. Keeping it safe is above every but just remember everything you post is seen by the world now...

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #80 on: Feb 16, 2015, 03:12 PM »
That's probably a hard earned lesson on being the nice guy when it comes to the outdoors. I truly appreciated all the knowledge you shared but was anxious to see if something like this would happen. Hopefully you don't leave as there are lots of us who appreciate the info, take it, and utilize it as we see fit not yell at you for not telling us "which rock to stand on". I truly hope you come back!
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #81 on: Feb 16, 2015, 06:59 PM »
   Great ideas And thanks for the good info. Don't let one bonehead chase you off,he's just jealous of your abilities. I've had trouble getting some to tell me what part of the lake they had success fishing...usually a no answer back like I was going to take ""their"" hole or find it and catch some of ""their"" fish. I can't stand as holes like that,so don't back down and stick around?There are plenty of decent sportsman out there.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #82 on: Feb 16, 2015, 09:18 PM »
What happened to icingeyes' post? Did he take it down, or did the NSA get involved?

Offline Baiter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get jiggy with it!
« Reply #83 on: Feb 17, 2015, 01:27 PM »
I thought social media drama was only for junior high school girls.  lol

If you don't want people to know about it then don't post it.
Fishing is not about life or death, it is much more important than that! And all I have to say is FISH ON baby.

Offline zjlooney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Feb 17, 2015, 02:22 PM »
What happened to icingeyes' post? Did he take it down, or did the NSA get involved?

I saw that before it was taken down too! He was pretty fired up haha

Offline Wood N Fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #85 on: Feb 17, 2015, 05:00 PM »

Seems mostly unsocial media. Although ,entertaining as was icingeyes which in my opinion should have remained since I am not much one for censorship.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Feb 17, 2015, 08:30 PM »
I hope he was the one that took it down. Censorship on what he said would be criminal.

Offline crave2fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #87 on: Feb 17, 2015, 08:48 PM »

X2   You are spot on. Not a hard one to figure out.

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #88 on: Feb 19, 2015, 11:52 AM »
It got removed because of the profanity.....
Rest in peace Don "LT" Brewer

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #89 on: Feb 19, 2015, 03:14 PM »
I hope he was the one that took it down. Censorship on what he said would be criminal.
I disagree. The site owner has the final say on what is posted.
Rest in peace Don "LT" Brewer

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.