Author Topic: Power auger-crazy?  (Read 2171 times)

Offline Bucks n ducks

• IceShanty Rookie
Power auger-crazy?
« on: Jan 26, 2015, 09:16 AM »
Am I crazy to live in North Central Indiana and wanting a power auger.  I have been torn between a shanty or auger and I think my style of moving plays more towards an auger than a shanty at this time.  I like gadgets and really been investigating both.  However my trip up north this past weekend on 8" or so really wore me out drilling holes for me and my 9 year old!  Not to mention a buddy who couldn't drill his own hole to save his life!  LOL!  Maybe faked it, not sure!  If we stay cold, we are going to be like last year and we had to quit fishing for a while because our little hand auger simply couldn't hack the 18" very good!  Three holes was all i could manage in a trip!

With that said, what should a guy look at?  I want simple, 8" hole or so.  How many others have one?  Keep in mind, i am a weekend warrior for the most part!

Offline MandM

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Power auger-crazy?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2015, 09:23 AM »
I use a 6" auger and bought an adapter for my 1/2 chuck cordless drill.  Adapter was 17 bucks at PTO.  With my drill I was able to cut around 20-25 holes through 18" or greater ice thickness last season per battery.  Make sure to make a jig to go around the top of your auger, just in case the chuck comes loose.  Don't want to have your auger go to the bottom:)
We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.--Douglas Adams

Offline I Walton

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2015, 09:24 AM »
I believe an exercise  program is in order!!!!  Sharpen the blades and I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how much stronger you are and your nine year old will be impressed also. Hoping you are not drilling 8 inch diameter holes but were referring to 8 inch thick ice. Good Luck and tight lines!

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2015, 09:26 AM »
I believe an exercise  program is in order!!!!  Sharpen the blades and I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how much stronger you are and your nine year old will be impressed also. Hoping you are not drilling 8 inch diameter holes but were referring to 8 inch thick ice. Good Luck and tight lines!

I was going to say sharpen them or get new blades. If you're having a hard time going through 8" there's something wrong with your auger...

"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline Bucks n ducks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2015, 09:28 AM »
I only have a small dewalt cordless drill at 14V.  I have always heard you need the bigger ones to really make this work?  On top of that, my old auger won't come apart, I've tried without trying to break it!  I am afraid i would need a new drill and auger attachment, now I am nearing a price of a dedicated hole puncher! 

I don't doubt the exercise program, lol!  I'm a farm boy with a city job now!  I may look into blades and see what happens! 

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2015, 09:33 AM »
I would say not crazy just recognized using machinery may be a better way.  Sharp blades can make all the difference in the world when drilling holes.  You have to make the final decision but if you are having trouble drilling holes I would say a power auger would be first on my list.  The shanty will keep you warmer but without holes you will not catch much.  I can remember way back when my Grandpa took me ice fishing and all we used was a spud to cut our holes.

Offline northrn-duck-assassin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2015, 09:37 AM »
I would go with a gas auger or electric operated suger for sure.  It really makes the run-n-gun game easier and more enjoyable. Easier on the body. You can always use a deer blund as a shanty, or dress for it. Eeven come across shanties for a good deal to start out with. I just made a deal between two guys for a shappel 3000 for $125. Deffinetly go for an auger is my opinion. Absolutely nothing wrong with an 8" auger. Less fish dropped at the hole with the room to play.
Got one goin'!

Offline Fishslayer81

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2015, 09:43 AM »
pass on the gas auger...get you a Milwaukee fuel series 18volt hammer drill with 4ah batteries. I can do 80-90holes on one battery thru 14" of ice with a 6" lazer. The batteries are also not sensitive to cold...much lighter, no stink, and no worry about trying to start.

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2015, 10:52 AM »
I own a 7" Lazer Mag X-press and really like it but if I would do it all over again I would buy a cordless drill and use my 5" lazer or my 6" nils with that. I currently use my 5" on my 18v Dewalt and it works great.

Greg
Fish on!

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2015, 11:01 AM »
My gas auger will be in service this week and stay in service until skinny ice returns. I'm done with this crap! Arthur doesn't like manual 100 hole days!
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline stephen20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2015, 11:39 AM »
I have a power auger and love it. Don't use it real early ice but with traveling north every year and my buddies and I usually running tip ups, it gets old drilling a bunch of holes. It's a pain to lug it around, but worth it in my opinion. Plus i havnt found manual auger that cuts 8 or ten inch holes well. If I just pan fished I would probably go with a synthetic lazer and a drill rig! But I like the bigger holes for tip ups.

Offline Bronzeback5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2015, 12:44 PM »
When I leave the shanty to pop holes and search for fish, I have my auger, flasher, and a pole. I don't know how you can do much " run n gun " with a gas auger. Maybe if you had a quad. I would just spend a few more bucks on an auger that will cut a hole without wearing you out, they do make them.

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2015, 12:51 PM »
My gas auger will be in service this week and stay in service until skinny ice returns. I'm done with this crap! Arthur doesn't like manual 100 hole days!

But just think you will look like Heman by the end of the season .  ;D

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2015, 01:15 PM »
I have a 20v Dewalt Drill and a 4.5 nils auger, I love it.  Can attach the handle if the batteries die after 30 holes or so on 2 batteries, and that is pretty smooth through 8" inches of Ice.    I'd just start with a Nils that can convert to a power drill, and use the handle until next year and get a good 20v Drill.   I personally would hate dealing with the gas on the ice.  I also hate the mess some of them leave on the ice after running also.

Offline Bucks n ducks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2015, 02:00 PM »
Great info all!  Thanks so much!!!

Offline Jawbreaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 26, 2015, 02:34 PM »
I thought the same thing as you last year, but like you, I like to move a lot so carrying a 30-40 power auger was not in the cards.  However, having bad shoulders from a run in with a drunk driver several years ago, I was not liking the idea of a hand auger.  After much research, I ended up buying a Nils and I love it.  weighs maybe 9 or 10 lbs and cuts through ice like a hot knife through butter.  10" of ice is nothing for the Nils even with bad shoulders.  If I lived where we routinely got 20" of ice, then power is the way I would go. 

Offline Eye_Crosser86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 26, 2015, 02:44 PM »
I broke down last year and got a jiffy propane 8 inch and it is slick for perch fishing or even finding fish, have a guy drill and one check holes for fish, eliminates a ton of water quick, i bet i have over 100 holes drilled this year on the same tank i ended with last year

Offline Bucks n ducks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 26, 2015, 03:39 PM »
What size nils do most have?  I have a 7" mora now.  Hate to go down in size.  Is 8" to big for hand/drill? 

Offline quikfire

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 26, 2015, 03:43 PM »
I use a 6" nils with a 18 volt dewalt drill and can get about 30 holes out of 1 battery and keep a extra battery in a small cooler with a hand warmer around it to keep it warm.

Offline kidd2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 26, 2015, 03:59 PM »
I faced the same dilemma several years ago. $$ for a gas drill I would only use a number of times a year or a nice battery drill I would use all year, it was a no-brainer for me, I have a Makita 18 volt with two 3 amp batteries, drills all the holes I need around here, not sure how it would be on 20 plus inches of ice though, but I can get a 12 volt car charger for it!

Offline first sergeant

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Suck it up and drive on troop
« Reply #20 on: Jan 26, 2015, 04:44 PM »
I have several drill and auger set-ups ,one is 18v and 4.5 nils for pans and/or camera work. The second is 20v and my 7 in lazer not a single problem cutting enough holes with 4 or 5ah batteries.  Plus I don't have to worry a whole lot about the smell of fuel or exhaust on my hands..JMO
Prov.27:17 As iron sharpens iron ,so one man sharpens another.

Offline Joelrz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 26, 2015, 04:58 PM »
I would recommend buying a NILS USA Auger lot less money than a gas and you can still get your shanty in the wind nothing is better than a shanty gas augers are lots more to lug out on. The ice unless you have atv or side by side the niles use is I sweet auger

Offline rrwhookem

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 26, 2015, 06:35 PM »
If you go with a power auger get the propane, no gas to mix and no smell. biggest drawback is it a tad heavey.  I made a bracket on my sled to set it in so its no problem pulling it around

Offline pearcheyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 26, 2015, 06:46 PM »
2nd year with my jiffy pro 4 light no gas smell just spin a propane tank on pull the start cord and drill still on same tank but will be running out I would think real soon over a 100 holes easy so far I have 6 inch auger

Offline Piggyn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 26, 2015, 07:06 PM »
pass on the gas auger...get you a Milwaukee fuel series 18volt hammer drill with 4ah batteries. I can do 80-90holes on one battery thru 14" of ice with a 6" lazer. The batteries are also not sensitive to cold...much lighter, no stink, and no worry about trying to start.

This... just make sure that you don't use it on the hammer setting!  You might also consider pairing the M18 with the 6" Nils for cordless drills... no adapter needed.  I have the 4.5" version and it works great.
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

Offline chevyman0206

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 26, 2015, 08:22 PM »
My dad just bought the ion battery auger it's quiet and not very heavy

Offline Fisherben

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 27, 2015, 01:26 AM »
it really depends on where you fish the most... Shanty means you can fish on the coldest windiest of days. drill setup is good for thin ice or well known hot spot. If you like the challenge of new lakes and fish days thru the week go power auger.I fish with one other guy and will be using the power auger this week. once you find the area the fish are in open it up.. I treat it like I'm in the boat just keep casting

Offline mwtind

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 27, 2015, 04:40 AM »
Been using a 6" mora and a 8" bass pro this year. Either have been hooked to a Clam adapter with a Milwaukee 1/2 18 volt drill. I have to tell you it is the cats meow! Can drill 20-25 holes with one battery using the 6" and 15-20 with the 8. The whole setup ways maybe 8-9 pounds and is uper portble. Wish i would have had it last year with the 18-24 inch ice!!!! I have a small blade sharpener, little blue one that i cant remember the name of that works really slick also.  I just give each blade 3 or 4 strokes each time it starts to cut a little harder and it is just like new!  Only downside to using it is i am losing the massice muscle i aquired cutting holes like a peasant!!!!  The clam adapter is well made, lightweight and anywhere from 49-69 bucks. Pretty darn quiet also.  Now i need to get a " make the little *****s jump out of the hole" adapter and i am all set!!!!
Got Ice?

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 27, 2015, 06:36 AM »
I just got the icemaster adapter installed on my drill last night.  I'm gonna give it a go tomorrow.  I have a 20 volt dewalt with 3 mah batteries.  I think it should work well together.  I'm looking forward to giving it a go. 

Offline Bucks n ducks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 27, 2015, 10:04 AM »
Again, thanks for the ideas and setups!  I was all set to buy a Nils rig and down the road a drill but the old fridge kicked the bucket last night so there goes all the fun money, LOL!!!  Will just look for a second set of blades for my old mora and work on getting the old ones sharpened somewhere!

Thanks guys!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.