Author Topic: Resharpen or buy new blades?  (Read 1446 times)

Offline Cool Cat

• Team IceShanty Regular
Resharpen or buy new blades?
« on: Jan 26, 2015, 08:05 AM »
I've got a Lazer 6 inch auger.  Found out Saturday at the FOF Derby in Valpo it was dull.  Should I try to resharpen the blades or just buy new ones?

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Resharpen or buy new blades?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2015, 08:12 AM »
New ones if yo can find them. If you take good care of them they should last a very long time.

Offline bldfrt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2015, 08:13 AM »
They sell a sharpener for lazer

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2015, 08:18 AM »
Both..  always good to have 2 sets of blades.  Never know when you may need to change them out.  keep spare set and tools to switch them out handy.

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2015, 08:33 AM »
Just make sure if you buy new they are Swedish made blades.

Edit::    If you can not find some one local to sharpen your blades send them to Anglers Point in Michigan. They do a great job with quick turn around. Sorry I do not have a link. A search of the  the Michigan forum should find it.

Offline Gillhunter97

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Eat Sleep Repeat
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2015, 08:47 AM »
New ones always seem to work better

Offline shantyking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2015, 08:53 AM »
Got me a fresh set last weekend 6inch lazer cuts with ease. Slez's Bait in Lake Station has all the blades for lazers and moras .

Offline Ace in the Hole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2015, 08:55 AM »
I have a machine that was built to resharpen auger blades so I never buy new but the machine will only sharpen Mora blades not Lazers.

Offline stephen20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2015, 09:14 AM »
I took some of both mora and lazer blades to unique tooling in north liberty to get resharpened and they worked great. Much cheaper than buying new, and lasted just as long. I will continue to go that route.

Offline kentg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2015, 09:20 AM »
 Just  a note. Never bang the blades down on the ice As I've seen some guys do. The angle of the blades can be more important then their sharpness. If angle isn't perfect, razor sharp blades will not cut. I think that's what makes the Swedish blades so much better.

Offline GO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2015, 09:28 AM »
This might be a silly question, but how do I tell if the blades are made in Sweden. The new six inch lazer I bought this year does say Sweden on the bottom side of the blades. Do the Chinese blades say made in china? Thanks in advance.
GO
I'd rather be hole hopping.

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2015, 09:44 AM »
This might be a silly question, but how do I tell if the blades are made in Sweden. The new six inch lazer I bought this year does say Sweden on the bottom side of the blades. Do the Chinese blades say made in china? Thanks in advance.
GO
Yep..Blades are stamped China or Sweden..

Offline Cool Cat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2015, 04:06 PM »
Well that settles it.  Guess I'll have to do without or make sure I go with someone that has an auger.  There isn't anyone in this area that carries the blades and I don't know of anyone that is capable of sharpening them.  Want to go out several more times if I can but not sure when that might be possible. 

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2015, 04:11 PM »
Well that settles it.  Guess I'll have to do without or make sure I go with someone that has an auger.  There isn't anyone in this area that carries the blades and I don't know of anyone that is capable of sharpening them.  Want to go out several more times if I can but not sure when that might be possible.
If you make it out to Laporte this Saturday you are more than welcome to barrow mine.

Offline Cool Cat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2015, 04:54 PM »
If you make it out to Laporte this Saturday you are more than welcome to barrow mine.
Wally, I can't.  This last weekend wore me out to a frazzle.  My foot hurt like heck and the drive is a killer too.  Takes over 2 hours on the interstates for me to get there.  I'm good for a short trip around here.  Supposed to go out with my niece's husband maybe Monday at South Mud in Fulton County.  A lot has happened to me in the last month.  I lost my wife December 30 and a week later I wrecked her Jeep Liberty.  Today I wrecked my Grand Cherokee on a sheet of ice that should have been sanded and salted but it wasn't.  Not sure if I even want to go out any more either. 

Offline DannyBoy74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 26, 2015, 08:12 PM »
ccfalk I hope you find some peace in all the unfortunate things going on in your life.   

Offline bluegill1004

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 26, 2015, 08:48 PM »
Saw some blades at twin lakes games and fish in Monticello the other day when I got minnows there.

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 26, 2015, 09:32 PM »
I would buy new and get the current set sharpened for back-up.

I have 4 sets now.  I always intend to get the blades sharpened but always put it off until "next week".

When you realize you need new blades you need them now, so no time to wait for sharpening, just buy a new set.

I often read about these great blade sharpeners out there who make the blades sharper than they were new -- so far not the case in my experience -- new blades always seem to cut better.

Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline Cool Cat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 26, 2015, 09:45 PM »
ccfalk I hope you find some peace in all the unfortunate things going on in your life.
DannyBoy, Thanks bud.  Thank you.  I get up every day and face it with determination.  Some days it's very rough but I know I've got friends and family that really do love me and are there for me.  All I have to do is reach out and they're there.  Faith in God helps too.  And brother, that faith is what helps most of all.  I feel sorry for anyone that doesn't have the Faith because some days, that's all you have or else you'll drown in hopelessness in an abyss of depression.  I've been there and refuse to go back.  My wife helped me out of there and I refuse to go back.  God Bless you buddy.  Your concern is appreciated. 

Offline Cool Cat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 26, 2015, 09:48 PM »
Saw some blades at twin lakes games and fish in Monticello the other day when I got minnows there.
Thanks Bluegill.  Nothing in Logansport, Lafayette, or Kokomo has squat for ice fishermen.  It's such a shame too they neglect this niche of fishermen.  I might have to make a trip over there and check it out.  Again, thanks bro

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 26, 2015, 09:58 PM »

Sometimes a nice quiet and peaceful couple hours on a small lake or pond does wonders for me hope things start improving for you soon. God Bless

Offline Ace in the Hole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 26, 2015, 11:10 PM »

I often read about these great blade sharpeners out there who make the blades sharper than they were new -- so far not the case in my experience -- new blades always seem to cut better.
Depends on what kind of sharpener you have as to the results you get. I wont say I can sharpen a set of blades better than new but most of the time they will cut just as good.  Mike

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 27, 2015, 06:08 AM »
i sharpened mine once. ;D..i dont think it would cut butter..i buy new ones

Offline Bucks n ducks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 27, 2015, 10:15 AM »
I live in Lafayette and found a little store on Earl near Kossuth called Treasures in the woods.  I think they opened last July.  Carries lots of bait and several Ice fishing items.  Not all the goodies but several essentials.  They tell me they can order a lot of things and have quickly.  So far I have just bought some bait from them.  However I need some new Mora Blades for 7" and may see what they have today!

Offline Eaglecrg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 27, 2015, 10:27 AM »
I have a strikemaster lazer 8" with an extra set of blades.  When the blades get dull I send them to Hull Ice Auger Sharpening Service (www.iceaugers.com) and have them sharpened.  I bring the extra set on the ice when I go so that if I do need to swap the blades out on the ice if something happens (hit rock or debris) then I'm still good to go.  I live in NY and this service is in MI, but I have always had my blades back within a week.  The resharpened blades are as good as new and you get the same blades back that you send in.  By having the extra set of blades, it saves you from the predicament you are in now as you aren't in such a need to get them back pronto.  All this being said, I've never had to send in a set of blades more than once per year.  I once tried a local guy that sharpened saws etc who also said he did auger blades.  When I got those blades back they wouldn't cut butter--just spun on the ice without digging in.  Once I found a service that did a good job, I have stuck with them.

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 27, 2015, 08:48 PM »
Depends on what kind of sharpener you have as to the results you get. I wont say I can sharpen a set of blades better than new but most of the time they will cut just as good.  Mike

I was referring to sharpening services.  I leave the sharpening to the professionals.
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline stephen20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 27, 2015, 09:32 PM »
I just took three sets I've had laying around to get sharpened. I'd give ya a set of you don't find any by the time I get them back. I have an old mora the blades should be good on if u need something sooner till u get a more permanent fix. I'm in the plymouth area if interested we could meet someplace in between... Just let me know!

Offline Fishslayer81

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 27, 2015, 09:44 PM »
I am not buying the "buy swedish blades only" pitch...I bought a new 6" lazer last year that has the chinese blades and it cuts easier then my 5" lazer with new swedish blades. I am going with the poster that mentioned blade pitch...I believe that is the most critical part to a auger cutting ice efficiently. When you bang the auger on the ice or rip it out of old holes that were reopened, this bends the part where the blades bolt up to over time.

Offline Ace in the Hole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 27, 2015, 10:09 PM »
I have a machine made to sharpen Mora blades and I have sharpened a few hundred sets over the years. i always guaranteed the blades to cut or i will sharpen them again at no cost. Never had to redo very many sets. The only blades I wouldn't guarantee was the cheap blades that were black in color. These blades cost about 1/2 what the Swedish blades cost and the metal was softer and wouldn't hold an edge. I just sharpened 6 sets for a member on here.  I will sharpen your Mora blades at a reasonable price + shipping. My machine will not do Lazer blades. Im not into starting up a business, just trying to help out some members. If this is against forum rules then forget about it and I'll delete my post. Mike

Offline Zktaylor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 28, 2015, 04:19 AM »
I also have a 6" lazer and I bought the sharpener for it... Next time I will just buy new blades. Doesn't work nearly as well as I had hoped.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.