Author Topic: Should I stay or should I go now!?  (Read 1010 times)

Offline PolesNHoleS

• IceShanty Rookie
Should I stay or should I go now!?
« on: Jan 26, 2015, 06:18 AM »
Alright the on going deamon in my head is always telling me to move the traps if I haven't had anything pop after a couple hours.... What do you guys think ? So you like to stay put in the same holes or do you like to move around? I personally will take the time to move everything multiple times a day, I usually move about 100 yards everytime I move, i usually seem to get a flag after the first 20 mins of a new spot I like to call them the "locals". Let me know what you think.

Offline nixstyx

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Should I stay or should I go now!?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2015, 06:54 AM »
Usually, if I'm set up and not having action, I don't move my traps, but instead bounce around jigging. Some guys don't even set traps at all for this reason.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2015, 08:08 AM »
stick and move......I don't anchor my boat.. I don't let sleeping traps lie. Moving has saved the day for me more times than I can count..
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2015, 08:11 AM »
I move around, I usually dont even set up all 6 traps on 6 trap lakes, I like to be as mobile as possible, if the bite is off I  move until I find them.
Salmonemia

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2015, 08:13 AM »
I wouldn't put a shiner under a bobber and throw it from my boat and wait 6 hours to catch a fish. I usually just jig, but if I have traps in I move them if they're not doing much unless I'm feeling really lazy...

"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2015, 12:55 PM »
I usually leave my traps and move the Bayrunner all around them while jigging. I fish mostly smaller warm water ponds so usually flags pop no matter where they go. If it's really cold, windy, or crowded I usually skip the traps and just jig in the shelter.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2015, 01:14 PM »
 :tipup: :tipup:  It's what we called "shake em up!"    Shiners should never sit under a tipup for more than 20 minutes without clearing the hole and checking the shiner!!    A big move is always an alternative, but if you have chosen a spot that has proven productive, you should stay with it for a couple of hours.    Of course it depends on what kind of fish you targeting.   My biggest fish (trout and pike) have come from my favorite spots that I "shake up" every 20 minutes and spend the whole day eating chocolate donuts and waiting for big fish to move through ::)
Dick

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2015, 06:11 PM »
Get a sounder and rig it to look sideways. 

I sometimes use this technique when I am putting out tip ups on 2 tipup lakes.

If I stay there will be trouble!

If I go it will be double!!

This indecision's buggi'n me

Offline fisherhawk55

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2015, 06:32 PM »
There's an old saying never put your eggs in one basket same goes with fishing scatter your traps in key areas I put 2 in an area spread out when I get a flag I move the traps closer to the zone where the fish are holding trout roam and other fish school up pan fish ect lake maps are the key and of course barometric pressure after a half hour I move no matter what unless I'm scoring

Offline FishEnticer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2015, 06:42 PM »
Welcome to the site PolesNHoleS.  If I'm scouting a new area I'll set one trap with live bait and jump around  jigging holes in same general area.  If no activity after a couple hours then I move and start over in a completely different spot.

Offline PolesNHoleS

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2015, 01:09 PM »
Thanks for all the advice guys!

Offline salmotrutta

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2015, 02:03 PM »
What species are you fishing for?Some types of fish cruise more than others.That might influence what i would do.I have found this year that jigging for warmwater species is the way to go.I tend to set traps for trout.

Offline Hess

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2015, 04:34 PM »
I will setup (5 tip-ups wherever legal) and then jig as well -- if I haven't seen any significant action on the tip-ups in 2-3 hours or so, I will typically move my setup to a different section/depth of the lake or pond -- sometimes the action improves, sometimes it doesn't...!!  I agree with checking your bait regularly wherever your tip-ups are setup...!

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2015, 07:20 PM »
I like 3-4 holes in an area i fish, if no dice , time to move. I don't waste time with traps any more. quick hitting with the jig rod works well for me

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.