Author Topic: Not a bad day at Newfound Saturday  (Read 1887 times)

Offline dennisg34

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to fish!
Not a bad day at Newfound Saturday
« on: Jan 25, 2015, 11:31 PM »
Hit up Newfound Saturday at our little "secret spot" and again, it still produces every time. Was set up just before the light escaped the mountain tops. Somehow started in only 35 FOW so we moved back after 35 minutes into about 50. Instantly found the bite and I even moved back to about 65+ for the rest of the day and landed 4. Still getting used to these HT traps (first time) and seem to have lost two fish because of them. I had a monster 5" shiner on one all day in the original 35 FOW site and about noonish when I wanted to move it to deeper water ( my friend did this, karma I guess) he said he was just bringing the line and and all of a sudden it was extremely heavy and he must have yanked it out of the mouth. Oh well, but later one when I was done for the day I lost another fish same way. Not sure whey these flags aren't popping but if anyone is familiar with them http://htent.com/catalog/item.php please let me know if I'm missing something here. Anywho below are the pics, nothing fancy but still fun.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Not a bad day at Newfound Saturday
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2015, 04:24 AM »
Looks like a fun day !!

Offline dennisg34

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to fish!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2015, 04:39 AM »
Looks like a fun day !!

Thanks! It sure was. Constantly got bites, missed a bunch and forgot to mention my friend lost a BIG one. Had to be 5-6+lbs. I was walking to his shanty and started shooting the sh*t when he hit. Pole was bent over in a 90 degree angle, never seen it like that. Boy was he swearing like a sailor when he shook the hook. Speaking of that, I could def feel one of mine doing that and when he was about 10 feet from the hole I saw him shaking that head furiously. Luckily, all the fish I did manage to hook all had superior sets and they def weren't coming off.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2015, 05:22 AM »
Nice report!

If you have a Motorola radio, go to Channel 5.5 and holler out next time on Newfound.

Offline dennisg34

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to fish!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2015, 05:29 AM »
Nice report!

If you have a Motorola radio, go to Channel 5.5 and holler out next time on Newfound.

Thanks! Fished this lake twice, both times 4 fish..should've had like 10! My buddies "secret" spot always produces, not a day we are skunked. I believe we're fishing here for the big derby..I wish I could come back in two weeks for the Newfound one but the wifey isn't very accepting:(

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2015, 12:45 PM »
Sounds like good times, nice pics.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2015, 12:46 PM »
Looks like a good spot. Glad you guys had a good day

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2015, 01:22 PM »
Nice job guys. Looks like a fun time.

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2015, 01:36 PM »
Looks like a good spot. Glad you guys had a good day

Great fish! 
Thanks! Brings back memories.  I occasionally read the NH board, Grew up on Newfound haven't set foot on it in over a decade.
I started ice fishing right on that spot 35 years ago.  ;) ;D 
Your first pic top left if you turned to 1:30-2:00 about 500-550 yards in front of you would be a 2 story light grey house facing directly at you, with the front yard completely cleared while the other 4-5 on each side of it are partially blocked by some trees. The one story ranch just to the right of that 2 story has it's front yard cleared, but since it sits on a slightly different angle & from you were it's partially obscured by the neighbors trees.  That house has a very flat lakeside side almost level with the lake, yet when you get to the house it sits up on a 6-8' tall berm.

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2015, 02:07 PM »
Great job on the lakers guys. Looks like you have a good spot.

Offline justatrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2015, 03:38 PM »
great job , must have been a fun day

Offline fisherhawk55

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2015, 04:24 PM »
Nice lakers stellar day it looks like you guys had an awesome day

Offline dennisg34

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to fish!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2015, 06:36 PM »
Thanks everyone! Yes that spot rocks, bite gets great about 8am, then 930-10 and hit hard again around 315

Offline FishEnticer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2015, 06:55 PM »
Nice job!  I'd stick with that spot.  Sooner or later big momma will come around.   :)

Offline dennisg34

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to fish!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2015, 11:12 PM »
Nice job!  I'd stick with that spot.  Sooner or later big momma will come around.   :)

She came around 1pm that day but she shook the hook. My friend's pole was at about 90 degrees and I've never seen it like that. Let's just say he wasn't too happy and people on the other side of the lake probably heard him.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 27, 2015, 08:53 AM »
She came around 1pm that day but she shook the hook. My friend's pole was at about 90 degrees and I've never seen it like that. Let's just say he wasn't too happy and people on the other side of the lake probably heard him.

That's to bad, we may even of heard him  :%$#!: from the other side. Always good to feel em, keeps you coming back for more.

Thoughts(?): next time use a jig stick, no stretch (not much) and you can set the hook hard which you need to on the big ones due to their hard mouth top plate.

With that said, I've also seen an 18 lber come up using a jig rod too. Just a thought......

Offline dennisg34

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to fish!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2015, 10:31 AM »

That's to bad, we may even of heard him  :%$#!: from the other side. Always good to feel em, keeps you coming back for more.

Thoughts(?): next time use a jig stick, no stretch (not much) and you can set the hook hard which you need to on the big ones due to their hard mouth top plate.

With that said, I've also seen an 18 lber come up using a jig rod too. Just a thought......

I saw your videos with a lady doing that. I have a medium action one with a nice light tip that let's me feel those bumps. I just think he had a bad set

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.