Author Topic: HDS5 vs Helix review  (Read 11503 times)

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
HDS5 vs Helix review
« on: Jan 25, 2015, 07:38 PM »
Ok I just got the Helix on ice yesterday and wanted to write up a comparison of the sonar and functions of the 2 units if there is something I miss let me know. While I understand the elite 5 is a more comparable unit to the helix these are what I have and wanted to do a brief comparison if someone is looking at these units.

Display: Hds 5 480x480 Helix 800x480 these are both 5" screens on the diagonal though the hds is a square and the helix is rectangular think tube tv vs flat screen. both screens produce a sharp clear picture the hds I can run one screen down to 30' and not have to worry about seeing my jig vs fish the helix you need to run the zoom because of the shorter screen height this is especially true with fish close to the bottom.

View options: both units have every option you could want graph, zoom, zoom splits, bottom lock, and flasher. The only real difference is that the hds has a split flasher and the helix is full screen.

Battery life: I get about 7 hours out of a 9 ah battery on the hds while I had the helix running for around 9 hours and did not kill the battery.

Transducer: both have a 83/200 kHz transducers the hds is a 20* cone while the helix is a 20*/60* in my opinion both units run better in just 200 kHz mode. I do like the support cable oriented vertically on the helix vs passing through the transducer on the hds.

Use: the hds has more adjustability they are both very sensitive units the helix in my opinion cannot be set low enough. I like to set it so my jig is a thin black line and even in the lowest setting I could not get this with the helix. While there is no delay on either of the units the hds seems to scroll faster. The hds takes about 30 seconds or so to boot up while the helix takes maybe 5 seconds. The hds also takes a lot longer to start tracking bottom and really get settled down.

Price: The cheapest I have seen the base model of the hds without Gps is 449 while the  base model of the helix is 200. I think the transducer and power cables are about the same price on these units.

I still prefer the hds I like the taller display it is much better for vertical fishing. I also like how much more adjustable it is though this could also be me not knowing how to dial the unit in but I couldn't find any settings to change to further lower the sensitivity. Again if I missed anything anyone wants to know about feel free to reply to this and I will answer the best I can.

Offline Purple Floyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl.
Re: HDS5 vs Helix review
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2015, 08:59 PM »
Nice update. I have Lowrance units myself but the HB units are really great but the HB units stand on their own as quality units and I have a lot of respect for them. I really like the idea of HB getting more involved in the hard water game because it will foster competition and innovation and take us to the next level which doesn't include the spinning hypno wheel ;D

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2015, 04:50 AM »
It would be interesting to put the Ice Ducer on the Helex and then do another comp.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2015, 06:10 AM »
Both have ice ducers on the helix is the xi 9 20 and the hds is the pti-wbl, again like I said I may be missing another setting but I didn't see any that would make sense to further lower the sensitivity.

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2015, 08:14 AM »
I can vouch for how sensitive the hds is. That helix looks cool. Good review
Fishin red lines

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2015, 08:52 AM »
No need or use for that second cable. Get rid of it. Nothing but a problem. It was added by Bird as a way to get around a patent. Lowrance used to have an unneeded wire set up.

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2015, 09:24 AM »
I will probably dump the cable I just wanted to review from a point of how the units are intended to be set up, but just from a design standpoint I think the helix support cable is a better design than the hds(which I don't use).

Offline MadPerry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2015, 11:10 AM »
Thanks for posting on your experience.  I have one coming tomorrow that I am looking forward to using on the ice. 

Did you happen to try the helix in its flasher mode?  Thoughts? 

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2015, 12:53 PM »
I prefer graph mode although I did  try the flasher it works in about the same way as the HDS. it may be a better option on this unit as it would be a more effective use of the units screen height. In my opinion so far it's a great unit for the price.

Offline Yankee Troller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2015, 01:43 PM »
See what setting switchfire mode is on in the sonar tab of that Helix. Set it to clear. Might turn down that gain some if its on max mode.

For the price of these HELIX models people should be able to buy them up!
Clam Pro & Yukon TC
Humminbird ICE55 & ICE HELIX 7
Thorne Bros Custom Ice Rods - Quiverstick, Power Noodle, Perch Sweetheart, Med Walleye Sweetheart, MH Walleye Sweetheart, and Deadstick
Daiwa Laguna Reels
Strikemaster 10" Lazer Pro & 6" Lazer
Ice Fishing Innovations Rod Locker

Offline buckslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2015, 06:29 AM »
I will probably dump the cable I just wanted to review from a point of how the units are intended to be set up, but just from a design standpoint I think the helix support cable is a better design than the hds(which I don't use).

Thanks for the review.  Have been looking at the Helix as well myself, but also have an Elite-5.  With regards to the support cable, are you running the Lowrance ice-ducer hanging just by the cable entering the transducer with no ill effects. I hate that it's hard to hang it level and the o-ring cordstock Lowrance sent with my unit doesn't even fit through the hole in the transducer so I had to jerry-rig it to begin with.

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2015, 06:33 AM »
Thanks for the review.  Have been looking at the Helix as well myself, but also have an Elite-5.  With regards to the support cable, are you running the Lowrance ice-ducer hanging just by the cable entering the transducer with no ill effects. I hate that it's hard to hang it level and the o-ring cordstock Lowrance sent with my unit doesn't even fit through the hole in the transducer so I had to jerry-rig it to begin with.

I also have the Elite 5 and only use the xducer cable. No float or arm. Hangs strait all the time.

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2015, 09:43 AM »
I actually use a vexilar transducer hanger it fits sung over a 1 1/2" peice of pvc sink drain pipe and epoxied the pvc into the bases.

Offline buckslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2015, 10:51 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys.  Mvan - even with the arm, the transducer is still just hanging by the cable, right?  I'm assuming that cable exit point is what Lowrance is assuming is the weak link.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2015, 12:42 PM »
How were you adjusting the sensitivity? Menu then left arrow?

Try changing the color palate and background color, it can make a big difference in how you see your jig on the graph

Catchin' Fish

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 27, 2015, 12:48 PM »
I think that is the tought in the weak point u have had the lowrance ducer for 4 years and haven't had a problem hanging it without the support yet I am just careful not to swing it around like a yo-yo. I have only had the one day with it so far this weekend I am going to play around with some of the suggested settings and will update after that. I am using the sensitivity bar in the menu to adjust. Thanks to all for the info.

Offline MadPerry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 29, 2015, 05:47 PM »
Got my Helix sonar/gps unit yesterday.  Soooo nice.  Have only played around with it in the house and left it on all day in the truck driving around with gps on.  Uni map is extremely basic and not very usefull for on the water.  Ordered a Lakemaster sd card.  The flasher view looks like it will work well, but I'll find out this weekend.  Using the xi 9 20 ice ducer.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 30, 2015, 03:14 PM »
make sure that lakemaster is the MICRO sd version, not standard sd :)

Catchin' Fish

Offline MadPerry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 31, 2015, 11:09 AM »
make sure that lakemaster is the MICRO sd version, not standard sd :)
Yup, that is exactly what I ordered.  The micro sd versions for the northeast just became available.

Offline DFresh75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 31, 2015, 03:25 PM »
Really tempting for the money for a dual unit.

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 31, 2015, 08:43 PM »
Ok got the helix back on the ice today and think I got the settings dialed in. You can get the sensitivity lower in clear mode on the switch fire setting. Thanks again to all for the suggestions.

Offline MadPerry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 01, 2015, 12:51 PM »
I was able to get out this morning for 4.5 hrs to put the Helix sonar/gps unit to the test.  It was paired with a 9ah battery from a chain store($19) and the xi 9 20 ice ducer from online for $70.  Used almost exclusively in the flasher view.  Set to "ice mode", and "clear mode" on the switchfire setting.  Fished only 1 spot at 25.6 fow.

My only references for ice fishing is an FL-8se that I used for 4 seasons, and an FL-18 that I have been using all of this season.  Both paired with a 7ah vex battery and tri-beam.  Have also used a 570 bird with the RTS window in graph mode(all that is available).

I am completely impressed with the Helix.  Found it every bit as responsive and realtime as an FL-18/8se.  NO LAG whatsoever.  The screen never showed the shadowing associated with lcd screens in the cold, although I was mostly under the cover of a shanty.  You will see this shadowing effect on a monochrome screen such as the 570 humminbird.  The middle of the flasher screen always show the depth, battery life in the top left corner, and frequency of the ducer in the bottom right.  Used 200 kHz most of the time, and don't think that the 83khz 60 degree cone is very practical for ice fishing.  Nice that it is there though.  Maybe usefull in very shallow water.  My display was set for 5 color and it was immediately easy to understand the level of targets.  Had the sensitivity set at 9 or 10(out of 20) most of the time as I had a deadstick minnow on my right.  Had no problems seeing that second bait.  Could easily have dropped sensitivity if I was only fishing one bait below the ducer.  You can dial tiny jigs down to a sliver of a mark, making it easy to see those perch shooting up from the bottom.  Zoom function is outstanding when compared to an fl-18.  Depth is automatic on the Helix, and to access zoom, hit the +, and then hit left or right to set the zoom zone.  Being able to use the entire flasher circle is a huge advantage to the settings available on some of the Vexilar units.  Vexilar units lock you into pre-determined depths and do not take advantage of the entire flasher circle.  The battery barely took a hit, and I'm certain that it would last beyond a day of fishing.  I am certain that the barebones sonar only Helix unit would last quite a bit longer because of the lack of gps.  GPS is a sizable draw on the battery.  Screen brightness at the highest setting is more than you would need 90% of the time.  This could be dropped to extend batt life.  I left at it's highest setting.  If target separation is an issue, I couldn't honestly tell the difference with an FL-18.  I will bet the specs between the 2(or any other ice sonar) on target separation are useless.  I had no problem separating multiple fish chasing my jig.  Could also make out the swivel on my jig when I was using one.

Because I have not yet used it in a shallow or very deep setting, I can't give a full opinion.  I would like to test this unit in heavy weeds to see how it compares to an fl-18 unit in low power mode.  I have a feeling Vex units may have a small advantage in shallower water because of those features.  A Vexilar WILL last longer on a 7ah or 9ah battery than this Humminbird.  I have used both of my Vex units from sun up to sun down many times and they could have easily gone another 1 1/2 days.  This is not an issue for most users, including myself.  I always plug and charge my batteries after each fishing trip.  One big consideration is cone angle, and Vexilar has a considerable edge here.  A tri-beam allows for 8, 12, and 20 degree settings.  This Humminbird setup can only do a 20 or 60 degree angle.  Fishing for Lakers in deep water would not be as focused as it needs to be.

After using a Helix on the ice, I wonder why anyone would spend big $$$ on a Marcum lx-6, 7, or 9.  GPS is included on all of the combo Helix units.  Not sure if a separate navigation card is necessary on the Marcum units.  The included maps on the base Helix are VERY basic.  Just outlines of bodies of water.  The only plus I see on any of those Marcum units is screen size.  Humminbird units have graph modes in a ton of different screen configurations as well.  I do not prefer an RTS window with graph, but it is there.  Because of the screen height, it may not be ideal for a Helix.  I believe there are multiple zoom zones for the RTS, but I did not spend time with it.

The Humminbird is obviously silent.  A Vexilar is not and has a slight hum.  It didn't matter to me one way or the other.  I have never been bothered by a Vex hum.  If you like perfect silence, an lcd sonar would be right for you.  I hear Marcum conventional flashers are quieter as well.

Last note-Interference.  I dropped my FL-18 4 feet from the Helix ducer hole.  A slight amount of interference picked up on the bird. None on the Vexilar.  Adjusted rejection on the Vex 3 settings and it was gone.  This is going to be a nice 2nd unit for friends/family.

Offline MadPerry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 01, 2015, 02:41 PM »
A few pics.  $10 tackle bag from walmart.  Everything mounted and secured on a small board.  Will likely add a transducer arm...

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 01, 2015, 10:25 PM »
That's an excellent review MadPerry! For your deep water and shallow weed situations, try manually adjusting the depth range in the sonar menu. Its almost similar to adjusting the gain on a Vex or similar.

How was the interference with the Vex next to you? I've had quite a bit in 20-25 fow fishing next to friends. I think it was greatly intensified because I had the sensitivity cranked to pick up my jig in some thick standing trees. The noise filter helped but didn't completely clear it up. That was fishing with a Vex within 15' and Ice 35 within 20'.

Catchin' Fish

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 02, 2015, 05:48 AM »
Good report. Get rid of that second cord and the float then it will be top shelf.

Offline MadPerry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 02, 2015, 11:25 AM »

How was the interference with the Vex next to you? I've had quite a bit in 20-25 fow fishing next to friends. I think it was greatly intensified because I had the sensitivity cranked to pick up my jig in some thick standing trees. The noise filter helped but didn't completely clear it up. That was fishing with a Vex within 15' and Ice 35 within 20'.
I wasnt picking up any interference on the Vex, but the gain was prob around 1 or so.  So pretty low.  Almost never have it above that so I didnt think to try.

Offline MadPerry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 02, 2015, 11:28 AM »
Good report. Get rid of that second cord and the float then it will be top shelf.
Ha.  I thought it was a bit silly.  But wondered if Humminbird dint have faith in their ducer cable so I did it anyways.

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 02, 2015, 12:16 PM »
Ha.  I thought it was a bit silly.  But wondered if Humminbird dint have faith in their ducer cable so I did it anyways.
It was /is a patent issue. No need for the thing.

Offline DFresh75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 02, 2015, 12:20 PM »
I'm trying to understand the differences between the helix series and the 357 at Cetera series is it strictly price point and screen orientation?

Offline MadPerry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 02, 2015, 05:02 PM »
I'm trying to understand the differences between the helix series and the 357 at Cetera series is it strictly price point and screen orientation?
Humminbird 357?  I couldn't find anything through google.  Do you mean 300 series?  If so, those are now discontinued.  Helix has larger and different screen orientation.  Also more than double the screen resolution.  I think some of the 300 series uses the alternate ice ducer.  XI 9 19 for different viewing angles.  Or do you mean the ice flashers 35/45/55?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.