The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Mixed Bag Saturday  (Read 697 times)

Offline gogetthegaff

• Team IceShanty Addict
Mixed Bag Saturday
« on: Jan 25, 2015, 11:44 AM »
Hit a Champlain reef Saturday and ended up with a nice mixed bag. Just the way we like it. Four white crappies between 11"-15", a couple dozen white perch to 11", four pike (largest landed was about 8#; lost one 10# plus), a 12 1/2" yellow and several average sized ones. Spotty action though; big lulls and then a short flurry. Best bite was before 10:00 AM, and the late afternoon was dead.  Fished all depths from 6 FOW out to 24.  What a great day to be on the lake!
Ice fishing is a social activity that may occasionally be interrupted by the catching of fish.

Offline stubborn1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Mixed Bag Saturday
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2015, 11:49 AM »
That's the stuff!  Did most of your fish come jigging or on tipups?  The bite died for me late in the day as well, about the time the weather got Really Nice.  Sounds like a good day on the ice.  Congrats.
I fish better Hungry.

Offline gogetthegaff

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2015, 11:56 AM »
That's the stuff!  Did most of your fish come jigging or on tipups?  The bite died for me late in the day as well, about the time the weather got Really Nice.  Sounds like a good day on the ice.  Congrats.
The crappies hit early and were caught on a small multi-colored tungsten jig with a spike or two. White perch were mixed in with them but were super finicky. Lots of interest in the jig but not many takers. Some of the white perch were on fatheads under tip-ups. The pike were all on shiners and tended to be in the deeper water near a steep drop, away from the weed beds. Yellows were split equally between minnows/tip ups and jigging.
Ice fishing is a social activity that may occasionally be interrupted by the catching of fish.

Offline stubborn1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2015, 06:03 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I'm always curious about structure.  It's pretty cool to see multiple species in one spot.  I caught 5 species out of one hole last week. (yellow perch, crappie, bluegill, sunfish, largemouth)  I don't think it had anything to do with the spot, but it sure was fun.  I'm hoping for the least amount of snow possible from the storm this week.  It just make access for difficult.  Good luck out there!
I fish better Hungry.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.