The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: lakers on champlain  (Read 1994 times)

iverson111

lakers on champlain
« on: Jan 24, 2015, 10:19 PM »
looking to head out tommorow morning and try for some lakers. what areas that are safely frozen are a good place to look for them?

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: lakers on champlain
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2015, 11:28 PM »
just north of the champlain bridge.

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2015, 07:45 AM »
I have never fished Champlain for lakers, but I can tell you that several years ago my Dad, his friend, and I went out and trolled for Lakers in the spring. We caught most of them in between the South Hero ferry station and Providence Island. I would imagine that the lakers would still be in this area just out in deeper water. Good luck "inverson".  :)
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:
My Blog: https://jacobcrawford8.wixsite.com/pboutdooradventure

Offline seayaknh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2015, 11:10 AM »
The deep water in front of the Lamoille River mouth......where it over 100ft

Offline gogetthegaff

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2015, 11:35 AM »
The deep water in front of the Lamoille River mouth......where it over 100ft
Did not know you could get them in outer Mallets Bay. Salmon yes, but never caught a laker out there. Good to know.
Ice fishing is a social activity that may occasionally be interrupted by the catching of fish.

Offline NoFishInThisLake

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2015, 08:52 AM »
The Cowbanks used to be a good spot. Hasn't been for several years due to the alewives. After they die off, it is an all you can eat buffet for the lakers.

I fished Malletts Bay yesterday and I had someone tell me that last year it didn't look like there was as many dead ones around as in previous years. Can anyone else confirm?

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2015, 09:29 AM »
dont know about mallets bay area but south of there westport rock island south there was lots of dead alewifes..

Offline gogetthegaff

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2015, 10:48 AM »
The Cowbanks used to be a good spot. Hasn't been for several years due to the alewives. After they die off, it is an all you can eat buffet for the lakers.

I fished Malletts Bay yesterday and I had someone tell me that last year it didn't look like there was as many dead ones around as in previous years. Can anyone else confirm?
Fished outer Malletts Bay near Robinson Point last year. Lots of dead ones frozen in the ice.
Ice fishing is a social activity that may occasionally be interrupted by the catching of fish.

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2015, 07:34 PM »
Has anyone ever gotten them up towards butler island maquam shore area? It's nice and deep there.

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2015, 02:22 PM »
Iverson, I would not fish north of Sandbar expecting to catch lakers.  There are few out there, but they are few and far between.  If I were to target lakers on Champlain, I would try the west shore of Grand Isle (Vantines F&W access, probably) or down in Converse Bay.  Converse would probably be my first choice, as long as there's good ice.

Good luck and let us know how you make out!

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2015, 06:10 PM »
Shelburne, Button and Arnolds Bay all produce good lakers. No idea on current ice conditions. 

Offline RipSomeLips22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2015, 06:41 PM »
there is hardly any ice on arnold and button bay, the ice they do have is all anchor ice only for a couple hundred yards

Offline gogetthegaff

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2015, 08:24 PM »
Spots further south that might have better ice are Tri Town Water in West Addison and south to the Champlain Bridge.

Offline shadylane

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2015, 09:50 AM »
I tried vantines a few years back to try and pull my first laker through the ice.  Put out probably 10 tip-ups or so baited with mediums, half a foot or so off the bottom, and the other half a few feet below the ice.  And I jigged white tubes.  Not a flag, and not a bite in 6 hours of fishing.  Not saying they're not there though, that was my first time ever targeting them so I'm sure I was doing something wrong

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2015, 11:19 AM »
How deep was the water where you were fishing, shadylane?  Just curious.  I've never ice fished off Vantines, but I know the trout are out there from fishing them in the spring.  Perch Bait caught some monsters in April a couple of years ago.  I was considering trying it through the ice this year.  I always travel east for laker fishing, though, so I don't really have any experience with lakers through the ice on Champlain.

Offline shadylane

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2015, 01:30 PM »
Yeah I don't have any experience either, I was just given a little tip and thought I'd give it a go.  I'd like to go again sometime when things freeze up good, and give it another try.  I was in the 45-60fow area.  Kinda straight inline with the island from the north.  I've been told its a good spot, I'm sure being a rookie with lakers my mechanics were off a little haha.  If you can catch lakers our there I've gotta imagine salmon cruise out there too?  Is that true?  That's kinda why I had half my tip-ups just under the ice.  Again never caught a salmon either so that was probably wrong too haha

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #16 on: Jan 28, 2015, 03:52 PM »
Laker fishing is hit an miss everywhere. I know a spot off
 Arnolds that would commonly
produce a limit of lakers in short order. Dawn was
always good but the hump was not a big area. 
You can easily waste a day waiting only to have
the fish be 100 yards away. Flashers help out a lot
both in finding the breaks/humps, seeing the fish
or lack of fish. Jigging is productive as you are moving
when not on the fish.

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 28, 2015, 04:09 PM »
Can't beat arnolds when its safe

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.