Author Topic: Before I do it, auger blades  (Read 3208 times)

Offline A7X

• Team IceShanty Regular
Before I do it, auger blades
« on: Jan 24, 2015, 10:10 PM »
Hey guys,
I'm fairly new here  (this season) and new to the ice fishing scene this season as well...

My question is. ..

Is there a good write-up on sharpening auger blades at home for this forum??

If not I am going to write one up. ..

My buddy is dropping his hand auger off to me to be sharpened in the next few days and I have seen a couple people's ideas but I haven't come across anyone doing an actual write-up on how to sharpen blades at home by hand...

I am very proficient with edge restoration and have a background in doing such work so I'm not talking smacking the blades against a bench grinder... I'm talking grinding and honing them by hand with no power tools to the point the ol lady can shave her legs in the shower with them if she'd like...

I thought I'd share my techniques but didn't want to bother taking the plunge into what will probably be an hour of typing and taking pictures if there is a good write-up here on how to properly do this...

Also what section would you guys like this in if I do it...

Thanks for your time...

EDIT** I worked in a machine shop for years, tool and die maker, screw machine parts, cnc, you name it, I also still have access to this equipment... Just so I don't get any more  "before you start hacking" comments...

****Already did the write-up, link is here****

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=309016.0

Offline Gundy7

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Before I do it, auger blades
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2015, 11:15 PM »
I would be interested to see how you do it. I can sharpen a knife to the point that I can shave  my arm with it but the one time I tried to sharpen my auger blades it was a catastrophic failure. The edge was sharp but I slightly changed the angle I guess at they wouldn't cut well at all. Now when mine get dull I just buy new ones.

Offline Super-ice-bird

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That's a fifth next to that brown!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2015, 12:42 AM »
I like to think that I can hand sharpen a blade very sharp, but those auger blades are hard to get the angle right and are never like factory new imo.
Come on fish!

Offline dekatronic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2015, 01:21 AM »
I imagine that such an article would be very well received, especially if it were to include a step by step procedure with photos.  I know for one that I would certainly appreciate such an article since I decided to take the plunge and try my hand at sharpening my blades earlier today.  Incidentally I used a jig to hold the stone at a specific angle using fine and very fine grades.  I'll see tomorrow if my attempt was successful.  I bought a replacement pair in the likely event that they're fubar'd lol

Offline Huntnfishvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2015, 04:46 AM »
I thought I'd share my techniques but didn't want to bother taking the plunge into what will probably be an hour of typing and taking pictures if there is a good write-up here on how to properly do this...

Don't forget to add a follow up video or pictures of your results.  Make sure the sharpened blades work through the ice before everyone takes the time to mess with their blades.

Offline StriperLund

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fisherman Who Hunts
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2015, 05:40 AM »
There is a Captain in Upstate NY I know and have fished with, open water and, Hard water. He has the sharpening hones to do it the right way. Augers are like Hockey Skates, You can do it right, but 99% of the time your doing it totally wrong. pm me for the contact info.   :tipup:
Ain't No Buddy Gots Time Fo' Dat!!!

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2015, 07:15 AM »
Before you start hacking away on your blades.....Check this out.  Here is what a PRO posted on the Web, something I learned from a machine shop owner in 1960

http://setthehook.com/icefishing/bladesharpening/index.html
Bud

Offline A7X

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2015, 07:33 AM »
Yes the article would contain a results section of course... Most likely a video... I have already done my blades with great results btw...

I figured my buddy wants his done now (he's jealous) so I might as well take pics and share

I do my own skates on a nice skate sharpener too, I'm lucky enough to have one at work :thumbsup:

Ok guys so at least there is interest...

A lot of guys can make an Edge shave hair off their arm, but that edge is usually still not as sharp as it could be throughout I'm talking much sharper, like a straight razor or better... I will admit, it is a technique, so practice is required... but I will give guidance... I've bought brand new, great brand name pocket knives and was disgusted with the quickly ground "sharp" edge...

Most guys don't want to buy expensive tools and grinders, so I will show how to do this with a few quality stones, oil, a couple rags, and a set of blades...

Gimme a couple days to get the auger from my buddy and get this done...

I didn't know if there was a source of this info on here... there is no huge secret to making these things cut well, just shape and an amazingly sharp edge... I just BARELY touched mine the other night while drying it off and wow! I didn't drag or anything, just touched and it bit me... I will have warnings on the write up... on the Dangers and also, such a sharp edge is also touchy and temperamental when it comes to being banged around, so warnings on care as well...

Offline A7X

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2015, 07:35 AM »
Before you start hacking away on your blades.....Check this out.  Here is what a PRO posted on the Web, something I learned from a machine shop owner in 1960

http://setthehook.com/icefishing/bladesharpening/index.html

Ummmm, your comment comes off kind've rude...   :'(

I am a professional and learned those basics quite some time ago... read first post...

I still have access to a machine shop I used to work at... I could do a write up there if you'd like but what good would that do the average person with no such tools?

I can do the same thing by hand...

Offline A7X

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2015, 07:55 AM »
The lazer tool sharpener woth the V notch worked for me.  But only after ruining my first blades understanding how to use it. You rrally have to go ultra light and once getting the feel..it workswell enough. I had great success using the lazer sharpener tool for both Eskimo 10in gas and 6 in.handlazer..but tip I can offer is apply the least pressure possible and feel for the very least resistance of the V grove working asany sharpener. .buttheV tool lazer is specifically designed for this fine tuning. .only go 5to ten passes one way and read the sharpeners instructions helps alittle too

Hey if it works for you then have at it!

I wouldn't use it myself, maybe in a pinch on the ice... but definitely not at home when I have access to other tools... but like I said, if it works good enough for you!

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2015, 08:06 AM »
I use wet/dry sandpaper taped to plate glass (my father's idea, not mine), no worries about keeping the stone perfectly flat. A few different grits to get a good edge. The trick is to follow the edge that's already on them and don't do anymore than you have to to the side that touches the ice. You can get it as sharp as you want but if the bevels are wrong it won't drill through the ice for crap.

I've only done mora blades, not the lasers yet. Moras are pretty close to flat so they're easy if you take your time.

"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline A7X

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2015, 08:20 AM »
I'm not picking on anybody in particular but there is so much "fail" on the Web when it comes to shaping and honing a cutting edge... even just touching up...

Take it from someone that was in the trade...

If your old methods work,  then more power to ya...

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2015, 08:23 AM »
In my opinion, certainly not meant to be rude, I took it your question was that there was a source with pictures, I simply thought I would share a write up with pictures, that explains how the auger blades work, there are several kinds of "Sharp"  One being what the old timers with their straight edged razors, that they would lap ever so often on a leather strap, they were polishing the blades edge.  They were not re-grinding the edge, only polishing it.  A cutting edged on a knife for cutting meat is IMO, aimed at doing just that, not meant to split hairs, I have lapped my hunting knife to a point I could shave hair off of a hair, sliding the edge in a forward slicing motion along the hair and watching some curl up without cutting the hair in half, much like what you see a drill spin material as its cutting its way through the material being drilled. That's is not what's needed in an auger blade.  Some are meant to shave ice, some are meant to chip the ice.  After all its not rocket science.
Bud

Offline SnoHam13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2015, 08:40 AM »
A7X

Id be interested in seeing your method
you can always learn something from some one else no matter how old ya are
I just repaired a set that was ruined on a bench grinder
 the owner was happy on how well his hand auger works after the repair 

SnoHam13

Offline A7X

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2015, 08:42 AM »
In my opinion, certainly not meant to be rude, I took it your question was that there was a source with pictures, I simply thought I would share a write up with pictures, that explains how the auger blades work, there are several kinds of "Sharp"  One being what the old timers with their straight edged razors, that they would lap ever so often on a leather strap, they were polishing the blades edge.  They were not re-grinding the edge, only polishing it.  A cutting edged on a knife for cutting meat is IMO, aimed at doing just that, not meant to split hairs, I have lapped my hunting knife to a point I could shave hair off of a hair, sliding the edge in a forward slicing motion along the hair and watching some curl up without cutting the hair in half, much like what you see a drill spin material as its cutting its way through the material being drilled. That's is not what's needed in an auger blade.  Some are meant to shave ice, some are meant to chip the ice.  After all its not rocket science.

Its called stropping... and no they don't have to re-grind a straight razor every time... they can strop it to bring the edge back to the point it can shave again sometimes even using a bit of stropping compound... What it does is stands the edge back up and polishes it... but they're cutting hair, not ice with contaminants in it...

Yes there are "several kinds of sharp" as you say, it's only the type of material and angle of the cut and hone, smoothness etc. etc. that determines the edges sharpness and longevity... the key is to find the most blunt angle that will do the job efficiently with few exceptions...

No its not rocket science, it is is own type of science...

Offline E Z turn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2015, 09:32 AM »
Interesting post but I personally have have ruined to many things trying to make them better so I'm sticking with Frank Deluca.
Oops! is too late.

Offline A7X

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 25, 2015, 09:53 AM »
Interesting post but I personally have have ruined to many things trying to make them better so I'm sticking with Frank Deluca.

Haha yeah like I said,  it does take practice, if you're not capable or don't have a steady hand etc then it won't be for you...

Ok guys, I will post the write up this week and I will link it here...

I don't want to take away from the other professionals, so if you are one and you are against this then PM me and we can hash it out there

It's not like everyone will be able to do this anyhow... I have tried to teach buddies and they just don't get it... and I pride myself on my in depth explanations and teaching abilities...

I think many will still use your services

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #17 on: Jan 25, 2015, 12:34 PM »
I bought some honing stones id be interested in seeing a technique on how to use them, especially with lazer blades, i guess im having an issue comprehending on which way i should  or direction i should run the stones.. With the curve and bend in these blades its seems somewhat difficult to maintain and even sweep through the blade..
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 25, 2015, 12:45 PM »
Hey guys,
I'm fairly new here  (this season) and new to the ice fishing scene this season as well...

My question is. ..

Is there a good write-up on sharpening auger blades at home for this forum??

If not I am going to write one up. ..

My buddy is dropping his hand auger off to me to be sharpened in the next few days and I have seen a couple people's ideas but I haven't come across anyone doing an actual write-up on how to sharpen blades at home by hand...

I am very proficient with edge restoration and have a background in doing such work so I'm not talking smacking the blades against a bench grinder... I'm talking grinding and honing them by hand with no power tools to the point the ol lady can shave her legs in the shower with them if she'd like...

Also what section would you guys like this in if I do it...

Thanks for your time...

EDIT** I worked in a machine shop for years, tool and die maker, screw machine parts, cnc, you name it, I also still have access to this equipment... Just so I don't get any more  "before you start hacking" comments...

You might want to consider hiring your sharpening skills out. I have a guy near Kendallville that does mine. 

I prefer to have someone locally do it than send them out.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline A7X

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 25, 2015, 12:51 PM »
I bought some honing stones id be interested in seeing a technique on how to use them, especially with lazer blades, i guess im having an issue comprehending on which way i should  or direction i should run the stones.. With the curve and bend in these blades its seems somewhat difficult to maintain and even sweep through the blade..

I'm picking up the auger on my way home from work today... you should see the write-up here within a few days... I have a couple other sharpening jobs I have to turn out first...

Offline A7X

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 25, 2015, 01:01 PM »
You might want to consider hiring your sharpening skills out. I have a guy near Kendallville that does mine. 

I prefer to have someone locally do it than send them out.

As of right now I do in a way...

I find myself running a free sharpening service for friends  ;D

Tonight I am sharpening an antique wooden cigar cutter, it's lever driven and cuts a "*V notch"  (*terminology? I'm not a cigar guy)... this is for a cigar shop that's close by...

I'm always doing knives... Although some friends won't let me anymore due to hospital visits for stitches, even after telling them to treat the blade like the barrel of a gun, (hate to see them with a gun  ::) )

I will start doing auger blades more, and maybe do something further down the road as far as running a sharpening service for them...

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 25, 2015, 01:09 PM »

Tonight I am sharpening an antique wooden cigar cutter, it's lever driven and cuts a "*V notch"  (*terminology? I'm not a cigar guy)... this is for a cigar shop that's close by...

Is there a run on Cuban cigars yet?  ;D
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline A7X

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 25, 2015, 02:57 PM »
Is there a run on Cuban cigars yet?  ;D

;)

So I just picked up the auger, it is a 6" Strikemaster with Chinese blades (2005 year never sharpened) with some light knicks and some rust  (unkempt)... it cuts only ok, not very well, moderate pressure is needed to get it to bite and it takes about 1 solid minute plus to get through 7-8" of good solid ice... No good in my book, or anyone's I'd say... by the 5th hole you're at 2min to get through due to fatigue haha... I used it on Thursday when we were fishing, it cuts through but not as efficient as it should...

As far as longevity of the edge goes with cheap Chinese steel, well, we'll see about that (I'd guess it'd be an annual thing but hey that wouldn't be bad and should be done regardless of the quality of steel IMO) but  I will get these done up nice, by hand with no power tools with pictures, explanations and results when I'm done with the cigar cutter... might even do a before video... by hand is not my first choice because I have access to machines to do the job but not everybody does, the point of this is to demystify the elusive auger shaver blade and show that it can be done at home with no special expensive power tools or machines... if I come across a chipper blade to do, maybe I'll write that up too although it'll be the same concept just a bit of a different approach...

Stay tuned over the next few days... should be done with the write-up by Tuesday I'd say, I've got a job too  @)

Offline unklechuckles19

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 25, 2015, 07:59 PM »
I'm in for the writeup, interested to see your techniques. 

Offline after-4

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 27, 2015, 09:40 AM »
Go to dull blades suck .com   3 day turn around and cheap and great results.

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 27, 2015, 12:04 PM »
Hey, A7X. Your name wouldn't be based after Avenged Sevenfold would it? Its by far my favorite band.
-Tom

Offline dangle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 27, 2015, 03:39 PM »
I 'd be interested to see your article. Thanks

Offline A7X

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 27, 2015, 04:44 PM »
Go to dull blades suck .com   3 day turn around and cheap and great results.

Not looking for a place to sharpen blades, this thread was to decide if I should do a write up on HOW to sharpen blades...

Offline A7X

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 27, 2015, 04:44 PM »
Hey, A7X. Your name wouldn't be based after Avenged Sevenfold would it? Its by far my favorite band.

Why yes it is!
By far my favorite band as well  ;D

Offline A7X

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 27, 2015, 05:08 PM »
I 'd be interested to see your article. Thanks

Just finished the sharpening job today while taking pictures...

I will work on the write-up in a bit... I just came in from shoveling 2ft of snow  >:(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.