Author Topic: ALWAYS CHECK THE ICE!!!  (Read 1031 times)

Offline eastcoastboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
ALWAYS CHECK THE ICE!!!
« on: Jan 24, 2015, 07:52 PM »
I got out this morning to go fishing in one of the bays of lake Ontario. I was fishing mostly on 8" of good black ice. I wandered slightly out of the bay with my spud and found 3" of good black ice. Went about another  50 ft and saw open water at a pressure crack so i backed up and went back to fish where i found the 3" of good black ice. I was fishing for about 20 mins when i noticed a man and young girl out skating way past where i had saw 1.5" and open water at the pressure crack, and then before i knew it and could even warn them about the thin ice ahead...it was only the daughter left on the topside of the ice looking down into the hole the man was in. It looked like she was going to fall through as well as she was trying to get away from the spot the man went through. After about 5 seconds the man surfaced and seemed like he knew what he was doing while he was trying to get back on the topside. I yelled out and asked him if he was alright and he yelled back and said he was. He got out and skated off quickly home and left this young girl out near the thin stuff by herself. She climbed onto to the rock shoal that was exposed close by and waited for a couple minutes and then walked off and skated into the distance towards where the man had went. I managed to catch this whole thing on video on my gopro as well. I just thought i would post this because although there is lots of ice out there in most places by now...you must watch out for high current areas and always spud when you have not been in the area before. I have a feeling that those 2 skaters were confident about the ice thickness because they seen me out there sitting down with a bunch of gear and never even thought about possible thin areas. FLOATER SUIT + PICKS. I never go on the ice without them! I really thought i was going to have to cut the rope from my sled and go rescue. Glad everyone skated away from that one. BE SAFE EVERYONE!
ECB

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: ALWAYS CHECK THE ICE!!!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2015, 08:59 PM »
Yikes that's crazy
@jzuliniak

Offline fishO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2015, 11:00 PM »
Wow thats a close call. I have seen people skating in areas I wouldn't feel good about walking out on as well. Even in my float suit I don't want to take a dunk

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2015, 08:22 PM »
great thread,allways use care when around water frozen or not,thanks for postinh.

Offline deft-traveler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2015, 11:46 AM »
Great reminder. I sadly lost an uncle a month ago in Newfie from unsafe ice. Had a life jacket and all but sadly being alone on a back pond and miles away from help he died from hypothermia quickly. Damn hot spots and thin black ice. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.