Author Topic: Looking for Ice conditions on Lake Erie out of Catawaba  (Read 2442 times)

Offline Dott421

• IceShanty Rookie
Trying to get a trip together for next weekend out of Catawaba will be bringing a Polaris Ranger with me, am I out of my mind? Not by any means new to ice fishing but new to Lake Erie ice fishing. Been watching the weather closely and it looks up and down any tips or spots to avoid or info on ice conditions will be much appreciated. Kind of nervous about this trip since we have never been out there on hard water before.

Offline Lipripper88

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Looking for Ice conditions on Lake Erie out of Catawaba
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2015, 06:32 PM »
Just left there just watch the wind south wind don't go out. We went all over today 10 inches everywhere we drilled.

Offline Dott421

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2015, 06:50 PM »
thank you just been watching everything and getting real nervous about coming 5hr drive to stare at open water wouldn't be a lot of fun

Offline Slabslayer17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2015, 09:15 PM »
There was a decent sized crack out there today with a 3x3 hole in it. Just be careful.

Offline Fisher2000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2015, 09:25 PM »
Went out today with a guide on an airboat. Probably 6-7 miles due west of Catawba ramp. Pretty slow bite. Probably 1000 machines out there. Lots of packs of machines going in and out together. Did hit one hole about 2 miles out just off the trail.

Offline Snapper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2015, 10:10 PM »
We fished out 6 miles and then drove to several locations there's plenty of good ice there were people out way beyond us.  There's also PLENTY of people out their daily on all types of machinery.  If you've never fished it stay on the pack ice/trails and intermix with the crowds and you'll have no problems.  Or take a guide out for your 1st trip.

Good Luck, Be Safe, and Safe fun!

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • common sense is no longer common
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2015, 10:42 AM »
went yesterday as well. same as mentioned already.
any significant snow fall would be my only concern but don't see anything in the next ten days.
saw nothing hazardous other than the fishers(cracks) that wasn't marked. stay to the west going out of Catawba SP. same coming in 
shoreline there and north are bad areas. once out you can travel north. tight lines

Offline Lipripper88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2015, 04:41 PM »
Deff Lota people out there yesterday. Hope bite picks up next week. Gona hit the afternoon/ evening bite saturday

Offline newbuckeye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2015, 06:21 AM »
Stay on the established trails going in and out, but stay off the air boat tracks.  They make the ice weak and that's when you go thru.

Offline SKAMPO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2015, 07:48 AM »
Was out there all day yesterday and the ice is getting somewhat sketchy, lots of dark patches and soft spots. Our boat broke thru a couple times just west of camp perry, and we crossed quite a few cracks that were wide enough to grab an atv tire. This snow they're calling for isn't going to help things either. Be safe out there guys, a walleye isn't worth a cold water nap.  ;)

Offline Lipripper88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2015, 10:32 AM »
Fished catawba last night crack opened bout 4 to 5 feet on our way in

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • common sense is no longer common
« Reply #11 on: Feb 01, 2015, 10:47 AM »
we went out north of F can. left with 10 keepers- 28" was the biggest, most were 24"-18"  with about 8 throwbacks.
ice was 10"-12" with very little snow. saw NOTHING out there that looked hazardous other than the crack off the beach that
is always a concern. it's there every year and why you'll see guys hauling planks with them in case it does shift.
did look spooky with the clear black ice though!  stay safe and use your own judgement and experience

Offline Lipripper88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 01, 2015, 12:12 PM »
For sure. I wasn't worried I had no problem crossing over it with a snowmobile last night just gassed it going over.

Offline Tim McKinnis

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2015, 02:10 PM »
I fished sat came in late about 10 of us had to cross  4 ft nasty spot just off Catawba I'd go out of camp perry this was before this snow I don't know what things are like now

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.