The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Saginaw River/near hooters  (Read 3185 times)

Offline rusty go0se

• Team IceShanty Regular
Saginaw River/near hooters
« on: Jan 24, 2015, 04:15 PM »
Making a trip up to the saginaw river in bay city. Right by the hooters. Any ice/fish reports for the area?
"Anything free is worth saving up for"

Offline Dean84

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Saginaw River/near hooters
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2015, 01:44 AM »
When is it your planning on coming up?  The entire river has been very very slow the last 10 days. It is bound to change any day.. but if your planning on being here in the next few days, I would tell you to head up to the mouth instead. Take the long walk out to the old river channel. You'll technically be fishing the Bay.. but the action has been a lot more reliable up there.  It is only about a half mile drag if you park on sunset ave. instead of at the dnr boat launch, it will save ya half the walk. Walk off sunset out to west side of channel island is about 2/3'rds of a mile. Ice is pretty bare, so bring creepers.

Offline rusty go0se

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2015, 05:48 AM »
Im actually heading up now, thanks for the info however. Ill be sure to chcheck out that area as well

Offline zmantc54

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2015, 10:12 AM »
I wouldn't say the fishing has been slow...just not good size.  Went out yesterday morning from 7-11 and caught over 40...most were about 13".  I was north of the Z
Flag up!

Offline Dean84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2015, 12:36 PM »
I wouldn't say the fishing has been slow...just not good size.  Went out yesterday morning from 7-11 and caught over 40...most were about 13".  I was north of the Z

I consider it pretty slow. Dinks can always be caught if you know where to look. 100 fish days are common at 1st street in Saginaw. But you'll be lucky to pull one over 15 inches from there out of those 100. Your very right about anything with size being rare lately. Lost a nice one north end of hog alley a few days ago myself. Same night I lucked out and got that 15.5. Also upjigged into something really heavy.. but it came off before I could see it to know what it was. Lots of areas are reporting bites from the tiny guys.. and they at least provide entertainment when the bigger ones are being tight lipped.

Offline rusty go0se

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2015, 08:08 PM »
Geez. Well i just got home and out of 4 of us we caught around 40 or so and every last one was 12"-13". Kind of disappointing but not a failure by any means. Would like to try a different area on the next trip

Offline zmantc54

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2015, 09:46 PM »
Geez. Well i just got home and out of 4 of us we caught around 40 or so and every last one was 12"-13". Kind of disappointing but not a failure by any means. Would like to try a different area on the next trip

Yeah man, that appears to be the norm the last week or two, either gotta move all over the river or head out to the bay.  I'm going to try the bay or down by lake erie.  I'm determined to catch a few hogs...
Flag up!

Offline rusty go0se

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2015, 10:04 PM »
I'm going to try the bay or down by lake erie.  I'm determined to catch a few hogs...

Yes! Im strongly considering giving the bay a try this week. The catch today just got me itchin for those big ones real bad!

Offline zmantc54

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2015, 10:09 PM »
Yeah me too, I took my girlfriend out saturday morning from about 6-10 am...we caught a crap ton of them, but all under 15".  It was a blast for her, but then I showed her a 15"+ and she understood why I was bummed!
Flag up!

Offline redhorseking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2015, 10:48 PM »
same report from me. been fishing from old hooters hole in Saginaw up to bay city hooters, and out towards the mouth.

got a few keepers, but nothing over 16 the past few days. i'm catching them on lil crappie lures no stinger hook. gonna try to get out mid- week before all the shiver idiots come out
 and drill holes right next to you and in front of you! I hate that tourny. everyone gives ya room, you see the same shanties every week and then BOOM! all the idiots come out to
get drunk and think they can win 1500 bucks!
I toad a soo!

Offline Dean84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2015, 12:53 AM »
headed out of the mouth towards channel island bright and early this morning. River has been nothing but dinks the last 2 weeks. I live 8 blocks from the river in Saginaw.. but heading to bay to escape the shorts and try to put a few on the ice. Dang state cops decided to detain someone in the street right next to my bedroom window at 1am.. glad I went to bed at 8 preparing for an early morning. Didnt think it would be quite this early though.

Offline redhorseking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2015, 08:55 PM »
caught 1 keeper tonight at indy. 16 incher. fished downstream of the normal pack. as always there are two bad spots of ice to watch out for!

using lil crappie lures again.
I toad a soo!

Offline TeamTwoSticks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2015, 09:13 PM »

I caught this 25" walleye fishing near Hooters. My dad and I brought home three walleye and three perch. Caught a lot of short fish, we were using mostly jigging raps. DNR was out looking for short fish, isn't worth getting frustrated and keeping one or a few of them.

Offline Dean84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2015, 11:35 PM »
Nice fish 2sticks. Your very right on those keeping short fish and the noticeable DNR presence this winter. Guy posted on FB he got busted for a 1/4 inch short on one of his fish. Ticket is 210 bucks. It's not worth it!

Offline rusty go0se

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2015, 04:22 PM »
Hey dean84. You mentioned you were heading out to the mouth of the river by the island. I was wondering how it went?

Offline rusty go0se

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 27, 2015, 04:23 PM »
Btw twosticks, very nice!

Offline TeamTwoSticks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 28, 2015, 07:14 PM »
Thanks guys, its my biggest walleye thru the ice.
210 bucks is a lot of money! I am a bit shocked that it was so high. A friend's son was ticketed for having a 14 1/2" fish. I'll let you know what his fine is.
This fish came right I, and didn't hesitate to inhale my lure. I was hoping that it was a sign of the bite turning on but it bever happened. Hopefully when I get back up there next weekend the bigger fish will be more actively feeding.

Offline outdoor junkie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's walleye time!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 29, 2015, 08:34 AM »
My better fish have all been coming off a deadstick, rather than jigging lately. Also stay about a foot off bottom and you can drastically cut down on the shorts.

Offline Dean84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 29, 2015, 02:22 PM »
Hey dean84. You mentioned you were heading out to the mouth of the river by the island. I was wondering how it went?

Just seen this sorry.. I only ran into shorts that day. bite was very slow and light. Blue skies and a NE wind didnt help any.  Had more action farther up river in the afternoon, but nothing to brag about. 

Be careful out there guys. 2 people were rescued this morning after taking their sleds through the hot ponds east of river mouth.  One is still in a coma.

http://coastguardnews.com/coast-guard-station-saginaw-river-rescues-two-snowmobilers-from-icy-saginaw-river/2015/01/29/

Offline fish hunter2012

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 29, 2015, 04:17 PM »
How thick is the ice near the "Z" bridge?

Offline Dean84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 29, 2015, 11:18 PM »
How thick is the ice near the "Z" bridge?

Mostly good. The area right around the Z-bridge gets a lot of cross currents that can play tricks with the ice.  There has been lots of guys fishing around there, so I assume it is decent.

Offline ElectricSlide19

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 30, 2015, 03:08 PM »
Mostly good. The area right around the Z-bridge gets a lot of cross currents that can play tricks with the ice.  There has been lots of guys fishing around there, so I assume it is decent.

I Fished north of the Z Bridge today right around Hog Alley. Solid 8 inches if not more. Caught several 10 and 11 inch walleyes and then hooked up and iced an 18 inch keeper. Only keeper of the day but it was worth the drive for me. First walleye through the ice.

Offline rusty go0se

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 30, 2015, 04:12 PM »
Can anybody tell me if there is a good/easy place to launch near the bay city hooters? Making a solo trip cause my buddies are lame. At hooters there is a stupid rock wall i dont want to haul my shack over by myself.

Offline Dean84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 31, 2015, 04:22 AM »
Goose, you would probably want to put in at Vets bridge. Heres a link that shows all the accesses and some of the bait stores on the river/bay.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?t=h&ll=43.587354,-83.746033&ie=UTF8&msa=0&spn=0.424737,1.234589&z=10&hl=en&mid=zY67CkqqVFDI.kPKSNIWGug_E

Offline rusty go0se

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 31, 2015, 08:42 AM »
Thanks Dean. Right next door to hooters, convenient. Thanks for the info on all the other access points to!

Offline redhorseking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 31, 2015, 11:18 PM »
everyone and their cousin knows about vets! when the wind blows right, and the smell of hooters is in the air, u walk to hooters for lunch!! if your smart you can fish and see the goods w/ binocs! :P
I toad a soo!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.