Author Topic: Alton Bay traffic circle bait????  (Read 1051 times)

Offline BuKhUnT

• Team IceShanty Regular
Alton Bay traffic circle bait????
« on: Jan 24, 2015, 03:11 PM »
Anyone been up recently for bait from them?? Heading up in the morning wondering If they have the usual tip up suckers and smelts??? Or anyone around them? Thanks for the info in advance...
Scott P.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Alton Bay traffic circle bait????
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2015, 03:41 PM »
Yes they do
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline BuKhUnT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2015, 04:22 PM »
Thanks
Scott P.

Offline jellyroll44

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • may your lines be tight and your woman not so much
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2015, 06:40 PM »
I bought half dozen smelt on Friday, they gave me 8 of them and it's a good thing since 4 of them from thermal shock as soon as I put them in the hole... Less than 30 minutes from buying!!!! Dam good thing I had shiners left from earlier in week!!!!

Offline 1crd1aad

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2015, 07:55 PM »
Bought a dozen this morning . And I've never seen such sorry bait in my life.
Too many floaters for me. I'll stick with shiners for now!

Offline NHSlabbinCabin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2015, 11:36 PM »
One BIG problem is that they draw water to put them in from a room temperature bucket. They are thermal shocked before you even get them out to the ice. I'm very surprised you got extra, generally you get shorted. Not too good with the book learnins I guess. Lol

Offline jimwaldron

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2015, 06:59 PM »
their bait or anybodys bait will do better if you take a few minutes and add some lake water to your bbucket before just sending the bait down the hole Lake water in the hole is about 32 to 34degrees. Most bait tanks are chilled to about 40 degreees . they live relatively well in the tanksin most stores. You should temper the bait ,wherever you buy it. It will make a difference.
 good luck and  be safe .

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2015, 08:54 PM »
I'm all about acclimating the bait with lake water.
Subjects been brought up before. Not sure why more aren't doing that?
Another thing you can easily do if you have well water or a bait tank at home is...
Fill a third of your bait bucket before you leave or the night before (leave in garage) and put it in the back of your truck. Should be cold when you get to the shop.
Have the bait shop put in another third of their water. Then top it off with lake water from your first hole.
Really shouldn't have all this shocked bait. 

Offline Rando5512

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather go fishin'!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2015, 03:47 AM »
Been buying smelt here this year and haven't seemed to have many problems. I've been adding some lake water as soon as I get there. A floater here or there but that's the norm with smelt I would think.

Offline dennisg34

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to fish!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2015, 03:53 AM »
If you want to go to a better place about 15 minutes away (on the way if coming from the south) go to FISH TAILS BAIT AND TACKLE in Barnstead. He has his own hours and the number on F&G's website is his cell phone. He is open until he goes to bed (shop is at his house, in cold weather so bait is already cold) and gets up around 6:30, earlier if you need him to. He has small, medium and large shiners, smelt and suckers up to 2ft long. Also has all the bare necessities too. Great guy and he traps all his own. Highly recommend.

Offline NHSlabbinCabin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2015, 04:30 AM »
If you want to go to a better place about 15 minutes away (on the way if coming from the south) go to FISH TAILS BAIT AND TACKLE in Barnstead. He has his own hours and the number on F&G's website is his cell phone. He is open until he goes to bed (shop is at his house, in cold weather so bait is already cold) and gets up around 6:30, earlier if you need him to. He has small, medium and large shiners, smelt and suckers up to 2ft long. Also has all the bare necessities too. Great guy and he traps all his own. Highly recommend.
X2 Great guy and great bait.

Offline Bluefin1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2015, 06:13 AM »
i havnt had any problems with the bait at the circle until yesterday. bought 3 doz and 22 of them were floating in my bucket by the afternoon.. smelts were in fresh lake water all day until the ride home. Think i will be shopping around from now on. anyone else have problems with the bait from the circle yesterday?

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2015, 06:48 AM »
Been buying smelt here this year and haven't seemed to have many problems. I've been adding some lake water as soon as I get there. A floater here or there but that's the norm with smelt I would think.

Same here... and at days end I put what's left in a keeper in Koi pond ... I keep them all winter...no issues..
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Maineiac2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2015, 01:19 PM »
I got bait at the circle today and they are great,and definitely didn't get shorted.there was some good sized ones to boot.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2015, 02:19 PM »
their bait or anybodys bait will do better if you take a few minutes and add some lake water to your bbucket before just sending the bait down the hole Lake water in the hole is about 32 to 34degrees. Most bait tanks are chilled to about 40 degreees . they live relatively well in the tanksin most stores. You should temper the bait ,wherever you buy it. It will make a difference.
 good luck and  be safe .

I'm all about acclimating the bait with lake water.
Subjects been brought up before. Not sure why more aren't doing that?
Another thing you can easily do if you have well water or a bait tank at home is...
Fill a third of your bait bucket before you leave or the night before (leave in garage) and put it in the back of your truck. Should be cold when you get to the shop.
Have the bait shop put in another third of their water. Then top it off with lake water from your first hole.
Really shouldn't have all this shocked bait. 

Yup, definitely important. The place I get my bait will fill your bucket from the tap unless you say something. Now when I go I don't have to ask he just fills my bucket from the bait tank (which has a chiller). When I get to the lake all the shavings and slush from the first hole I drill ends up in my bait bucket and I add scoops of ice/snow through out the day. Bait stays happy and lively.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.