Author Topic: tip up rigs?  (Read 1671 times)

Offline landgills

• IceShanty Rookie
tip up rigs?
« on: Jan 24, 2015, 02:00 PM »
Just curious if anyone is having any luck on tip ups this year. I know the bite has been tough this year as for me it has. If anyone is having any luck on tip ups I would like to hear about it. How are you rigging yours up? Whats your go to tip up lure/bait?

Offline fishfeind

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: tip up rigs?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2015, 09:22 PM »
Been doing pretty good.  14 inch quick strike straight off 30# dacron. Clear water 3'off bottom dirty 1' off
Getem caught

Offline diesel2012

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2015, 06:59 AM »
Caught a couple little walleyes on enemy swim with tip ups this year. One was on a plan treble with spinner blade with a minnow and the other was on a quick strike with a chub. Both were only 12 and 13 inches so they were tossed back. Pretty fun to see the flag up with a light blinking though.

Offline quickcast

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2015, 01:19 PM »
have been having pretty good luck for northerns on them.  Best bait has been chubs or shiners if you can find them.  Best rigs have been a midsize slender spoon or 5 of diamonds spoon with treble removed and then adding 4-5 inch dropper line with red treble hook.  Also just a red treble hook with either chub or 3 larger minnows on treble.  Fish shallow  have been getting them in 3-5 ft of water.  Yesterday got a limit with a 9#, a 7# and rest between 5-6#.  All caught in 2.5 to 3.5 ft of water.  Put one out in 5.5/6  and only had 1 flag all day.

Offline tornadochaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2015, 12:03 PM »
I've kept mine simple lately.  Red hook on 6 lb leader about 4 foot long.  1 split shot.  large fathead minnow, tail hooked.  been successful this week so i don't plan to change it.

Offline Rip_Some_Lip

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2015, 07:50 PM »
Caught a smallie on a tip up on Waubay a couple weekends ago. First Smallie through the ice.

Offline bird50

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2015, 08:01 PM »
Getting some walleyes on them lately. 3 inches off bottom for us.   Small split shot a foot above a small minnow.  1 hook of the tiny treble into the side.  Been letting them run extra long time...

Offline jphilly21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2015, 11:59 AM »
Wide gap single hook and split shot for chubs and quick strike setup for smelt. 

Offline IcedIn81

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2015, 09:49 PM »
Done alright with them for northern lately.  I've done best with just a medium sized red treble on a 10-12" leader, splitshot  or other weight just above the leader.  Shiner or large minnow hooked through the back - the more active the better.  5 -8 ft of water about 1 ft off the bottom.  I've tried putting a colored spinner blade on the clasp with the hook but honestly those don't seem to do any better than the bare hooks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.