The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Best Vexilar Model  (Read 2012 times)

Offline SJ1991

• IceShanty Rookie
Best Vexilar Model
« on: Jan 23, 2015, 09:08 AM »
Looking at treating myself to my first flasher. From the sounds of it, vexilar is the brand to have. Any preferences on model? I'm thinking about using it from 5' for trout to 20' for burbot to 100+' for lake trout if necessary. Basically just want an all around good model to use at all fishing depths without compromising quality. I'm not afraid to drop a couple extra hundred dollars if it is going to be worth it. Thoughts?

SDJ

Offline NY_labman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Best Vexilar Model
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2015, 09:16 AM »
Go with at least the FL-18 if you've got the dollars. These upper end units have the zoom features. I have the FL-20 and love it. The only noticeable difference is the flat screen on the 20 that is easier to see from the side. Good luck! You'll love whatever one you get!

Offline Fryinpan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2015, 09:59 AM »

SJ 1991  Good for you... Vexilar is a fine choice.  I up graded to a fl18 and it is nice, simple and does all I need.  The fl8 is old reliable.   The new models have the bells and whistles, it just depends on what you want.  I have been around other brands some over the years and they work fine.  It is a Ford and Chevy, Dodge thing.  I bought a Vex and never looked back.  Never had to get it repaired. No regrets,  just charge the battery and go mark fish.
Shop around a little once you settle on a model number....there are some good deals out there.    :tipup:

Offline eve21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2015, 10:30 AM »
I have the fl-8 and fl-18.  My next one will be the flx-28 and can't wait to get it.
-Tight Lines
-If our father had had his say, nobody who did not know how to fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.

Offline legend

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2015, 11:39 AM »
I bought an fl-12 and love it, it's all you would ever need.
I am haunted by waters...

Offline budlit714

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2015, 12:39 PM »
Looks like they've all been covered...  LOL  What's the difference between the 12 and the 18? or the 20 and the 28?  or even the 28 pro and the 28 ultra?  I saw one of these had a 200' range and the other had 300' not sure that would ever be necessary but for 30 or 40 dollars difference?  I've been wanting to get the 28 also.  Is the 20 and 28 the only ones that have the flat screen?

Offline fishnhunt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2015, 06:06 AM »
I would consider looking at the lowrance chirp fishfinders too..i just bought the elite 5 chirp and its amazing. I feel flashers are starting to get "dated " a little...oldschool really....my pal has a vex and when we compared his to the chirp 5...no contest! Its like a flip phone compared to a smartphone.

Offline gupster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2015, 08:01 PM »
I bought my wife and i flx 28 models we used them at the lake of the woods at the northwest angle very happy with them my wife loves the zoom on the bottom 6 foot and the batteries last forever

Offline zjlooney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2015, 10:15 AM »
I have the 20 and its a great unit. My dad took it on a trip to Montana so I didn't even go fishing over the weekend because I didnt have it. Any unit you get will become a piece of equipment that you wont hit the ice without!

Offline tiny6969696

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2015, 10:17 PM »
love my flx28

Offline downtofish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2015, 08:22 PM »
If you plan on fishing 30+ feet of water I would recommend the fl-18 or better just because of the 6' bottem lock split screen... It is awesome to tell exactly what's going on at the bottom especially for Lakers when your fishing 60+ feet. I love my fl-18 because it is easy to use and performs !!!!

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2015, 08:29 PM »
LX-7..........sorry!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.