The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Jenison Gravel Pits  (Read 2681 times)

Offline jiggn_yb

• IceShanty Rookie
Jenison Gravel Pits
« on: Jan 23, 2015, 08:45 AM »
Does anyone know the ice conditions for the gravel pits in Jenison?
}<(((°< ~

Offline gvfishman15

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Jenison Gravel Pits
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2015, 12:50 PM »
The ice is around 8 inches I would say. The fishing on the other hand is slow.

Offline jiggn_yb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2015, 12:56 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I will post an update tomorrow afternoon.
}<(((°< ~

Offline jiggn_yb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2015, 06:29 AM »
Went to the big gravel pit Saturday morning from 7 - 11. With 4 of us we left with 26 gills and 3 crappie. Had to sort through countless dinks to get the 26. Pretty non-stop action till around 10:30 though.
}<(((°< ~

Offline gvfishman15

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2015, 03:10 PM »
What size did the 26 run ?  Whenever I go there I'm lucky if I come home with 5 gills that are 8 inches.

Offline gvfishman15

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2015, 05:38 PM »
You been to Maplewood at all ? Seen some guys out there but I haven't hit that lake yet this year.

Offline Monster splash

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2015, 06:19 PM »
I went to maplewood last week and had nothing to show for the work.

Offline gvfishman15

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2015, 06:30 PM »
Well that's not good.  I go by everyday and it seems like always a different car, van or truck there.  Stopped and watched a few times through the bino's and never see any fish on the ice or see them bringing them up :( 

Gravel pits I've been fishing the smaller pit by the runway and haven't been marking much or catching much compared to last year. One's I do catch are usually dink's and maybe if I'm lucky I might go home with 5 keepers around 8 inches.

Offline jiggn_yb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2015, 08:03 AM »
What size did the 26 run ?  Whenever I go there I'm lucky if I come home with 5 gills that are 8 inches.

They were all at least as big as my hand. So prolly between 8" and 10"
}<(((°< ~

Offline Monster splash

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2015, 12:48 PM »
Any 8 inch bluegill coming out of the gravel pits seems kind of unbelievable. In my experience there, 7 inches TOPS. Some nice specs there, however a lot of them are skinny!

Offline jiggn_yb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2015, 01:17 PM »
I think it would really benefit the northwest pit if they connected it to the grand when the water was high. Kinda like how the ponds on the east side of 12th do. Rejuvenate the ecosystem every spring.

Although maybe all the methane gas that comes through the water is stunting the fish growth. I wouldnt be surprised if you could light the water in your hole on fire.
}<(((°< ~

Offline gvfishman15

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2015, 08:42 PM »
In the northwest corner of that pit there's a creek that I think is connected to the grand river. Check out google earth.  Found this out while kayaking this summer out there.

Offline pike bay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2015, 08:58 PM »
Have to agree on the fish running small in that lake. Fished it quite a few times the past few years because it is close to home. Catch a bunch of fish but rarely anything worth keeping. Biggest gill was near 7". Seen lots of guys walk off with there limit of "nice gills" but most of those fish are near the 6" range. Did get the occasional decent spec in there. Have never seen a gill over 8" caught on the northwest pit.

Offline jiggn_yb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2015, 09:41 AM »
In the northwest corner of that pit there's a creek that I think is connected to the grand river. Check out google earth.  Found this out while kayaking this summer out there.

Is that near where they are still working?
Anyone know if they pike situation is the same as the gills in there?
}<(((°< ~

Offline gvfishman15

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2015, 01:26 PM »
yeah its over toward where they still are working. If you do google earth or bing maps. It shows on the north side there's a little pond just off the main pit. The creek is between that pond and where they work.

Pike situation I have never tried for them in there. I see guys trying for them but never seen them leave with any pike. I think the pike fishing is pretty much like gill fishing now. I heard they use to get some hogs out of there before it was opened to the public. Once word got out about the big pike it didn't take long to thin them out

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2015, 01:41 PM »
It took one winter to get the vast majority of the pike and quality gills out of that pit.  Having fished it for 15 years now, it sad to see it in its current state.  You have to remember this pit gets hammered year round since it was opened.  During the first opening I remember counting over 60 tip-ups on one given Saturday.  You have to be careful traveling outside the normal areas towards the machines.  There are several springs and thinice throughout the winter.  I found a place last year that had about 2" when the adjacent ice was 8-10"  be careful its not worth it.

Offline gvfishman15

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 28, 2015, 02:26 PM »
It took one winter to get the vast majority of the pike and quality gills out of that pit.  Having fished it for 15 years now, it sad to see it in its current state.  You have to remember this pit gets hammered year round since it was opened.  During the first opening I remember counting over 60 tip-ups on one given Saturday.  You have to be careful traveling outside the normal areas towards the machines.  There are several springs and thinice throughout the winter.  I found a place last year that had about 2" when the adjacent ice was 8-10"  be careful its not worth it.

Summer it is slammed big time with some shady people let me tell you what ! ccw all the way then.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.