The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: tanaka  (Read 1870 times)

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
tanaka
« on: Jan 22, 2015, 02:35 PM »
Sorry just had to comment again how much i love my tanaka w/ 8in mora setup. Took it up to Webster, SD for a good cold weather test. Yep, never failed me and she ran like a banchee! Sounds like a nest full of killer bees when she hits the power band. I was drilling holes all over while my buddy's jiffy propane was in the cab of the truck thawing because of a frozen throttle :o The other buddy just got a new jiffy propane a couple months ago and his was bogging down on him and took him about 3 min to drill through 24in of ice. Not here to knock the propanes cause i actually like em other than the weight. Just making a little fun of my buddy's more than anything. if in the market for a new auger do yourself a favor = TANAKA.

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: tanaka
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2015, 02:49 PM »
I am around 6 years now with Tanaka. First few were with the Nils and then I got the Mora thing going and that has been my deal. I lost count on how many adapters went out and questions came in. I truly believe that this set up is the best of all worlds. If you are a hole hopper or one who drills hundreds of holes a year then this is the real deal. One motor and several Augers.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2015, 03:37 PM »
I agree!
Fishin red lines

Offline .204

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2015, 05:03 PM »
I am around 6 years now with Tanaka. First few were with the Nils and then I got the Mora thing going and that has been my deal. I lost count on how many adapters went out and questions came in. I truly believe that this set up is the best of all worlds. If you are a hole hopper or one who drills hundreds of holes a year then this is the real deal. One motor and several Augers.

Same here.  Switch from the Nils auger and put an 8" K-drill on for dirty ice.  Dropped 3 lbs off my setup and didn't loose much speed at all.  Tanaka is the best small engine i've owned.  I liked it so much I bought a string trimmer last year with the same motor on it.

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2015, 04:13 PM »
Can I ask you guys for some guidance on flyte selection? I have saved enough to buy the tanaka powerhead. My local dealer is trying to sell me an Eskimo flyte with it, I'm not an Eskimo fan. Will a strikemaster flyte work? Are adapters available, or should I source a machine shop to make one? I'm thinking two flytes: we have dirty ice on the red river, and cleaner ice on lake Winnipeg.

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2015, 09:52 AM »
PM Sent

Offline .204

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2015, 10:56 AM »
Which model?  270 or 350?

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2015, 01:28 PM »
Which model?  270 or 350?

Offline .204

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2015, 08:01 PM »
For dirty ice the K drill is your answer.  Best chipper blade available and the 270 spins it superbly.  When it comes to clean ice the nils head is very fast and for sharpening when they need a touch up we have Frank DeLuca.  He does an awesome job.  I would look into what Bee has to say also.  He seems very knowledgable on anything tanaka related and has helped me personally.  Enjoy your new tanaka.  It's the best there is in my opinion.

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2015, 08:24 AM »
Thanks guys. We have local guy up here who can handle the nils, I'll look into that chipper blade.

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2015, 08:53 AM »
The adapters are 1/2x 20 thread.

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2015, 03:53 PM »
any other chipper blade style recommendations? Took the mora out last week and the ice as pretty sandy and only about 10 holes through that stuff and the blade is now wanting to slide all over. ugh. would be nice to have a chipper style for dirty ice and shaver for clean ice. However I don't think i want to spend the money for a k drill. Seems pretty steep. Any other suggestions? thanks

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
EYECONICFISHING

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2015, 10:45 PM »
Tanaka wont handle the 8.25 chipper I don't think. It is all about high rpm and easy drilling auger. I am not sure about k drill in dirty ice but the good old jiffy model 30 heavy beast will drill it!
Fishin red lines

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 30, 2015, 05:07 AM »
Get one of these and you can touch up those blades in no time. Lowes or Wal mart. Take the blades off and go length wise with your stroke just on the very tip as that sharpening post said.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_41096-10803-DCS4_0__

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 30, 2015, 10:01 AM »
Tanaka wont handle the 8.25 chipper I don't think. It is all about high rpm and easy drilling auger. I am not sure about k drill in dirty ice but the good old jiffy model 30 heavy beast will drill it!

You are right. I may just plan on taking the model 30 from now on when I know dirty ice is likely. Just hard to not want to use the tanaka though. ha.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.