The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Official Boot Discussion Thread  (Read 2195 times)

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
Official Boot Discussion Thread
« on: Jan 11, 2015, 04:39 PM »
When you start drilling holes, be prepared that over time your entire area will start flooding. By the end of the day, we had 4 inches of water on top of 5-8 inches of ice and it was SLOPPY! The water level is coming up. Make sure you have snow shoes and taller waterproof boots or waders and try to keep you gear off the surface with a sled or tarp. Wind was very calm, which helped a lot. I had a red Eskimo 767i out there today and it had even deeper water inside by the end of the day. Make sure not to store anything on the ground inside the tent. Place your tent away from the holes as far as possible because water WILL fill up in there. Good luck out there!

This is pretty typical when you have a bunch of snow on the ice,  the lakes around Pinedale do the same thing.  Your ice holes look like an artesian spring!!  You can really get yourself stuck in a snowmachine.  I had to take the belt off my snowmobile once and drag it to dry snow--the wet snow on top of the slippery ice gave no traction at all.

As far as boots, I switched to Muck style arctic neoprene boots. I have had all brands of high end Pac-boots, they all eventually leak when you are standing around in a foot of water!!!

Offline jaklakmak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LIVE OUTDOORS!
Re: Official Boot Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2015, 06:36 PM »
This is pretty typical when you have a bunch of snow on the ice,  the lakes around Pinedale do the same thing.  Your ice holes look like an artesian spring!!  You can really get yourself stuck in a snowmachine.  I had to take the belt off my snowmobile once and drag it to dry snow--the wet snow on top of the slippery ice gave no traction at all.

As far as boots, I switched to Muck style arctic neoprene boots. I have had all brands of high end Pac-boots, they all eventually leak when you are standing around in a foot of water!!!
This is what I wear. Make sure if you buy them to get the insulated version and your feet will stay nice and toasty. This is what all the guys on the fishing boats in Alaska wear. I should know I worked on a boat in the Northern Bering Sea way back in 1989 and 1990. ;D ;D

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Xtratuf-Unisex-Neoprene-Rubber-Boots/732939.uts?productVariantId=1814571&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=37-18180453-2&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=80075864&rid=20

Offline 307fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2015, 09:05 AM »
Good update Skawdee - - we had similar conditions yesterday on Catholic.  We got there a bit later, probably first lines in the water by 10.  There were three groups out deeper but we started shallow....we had no luck then started moving around.  Finally found fish in the 50 - 60 fow but most marked and caught were cruising in 20-30 down.  Between the four of us we iced 6 but lost about that many too.  Overall beautiful day to be out!  Super sloppy tho.... better have good boots for sure.  I use the Bunny boots- never get wet, or cold!

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2015, 08:52 PM »
Super sloppy tho.... better have good boots for sure.  I use the Bunny boots- never get wet, or cold!

What are the Bunny boots

Offline jaklakmak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LIVE OUTDOORS!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2015, 08:31 PM »
What are the Bunny boots
BD did you get a parking ticket on your truck parked at Colter's Saturday?

Offline jaklakmak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LIVE OUTDOORS!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2015, 08:34 PM »
Bunny Boots aka Military Issue Mickey Mouse boots

Offline 307fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2015, 09:39 PM »
Here ya go - - the ultimate in cold weather footwear !   I bought mine in AK but I sometimes see them down here.   
http://www.bunnyboots.com

Been fishing around Sargents Bay and doing pretty well.  Anyone look at ice around the dam yet?  Looked pretty thin last week but with these cold temps maybe it's good to go?

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2015, 07:18 AM »
What are the Bunny boots

1950's era military cold war footwear....

I'll stick with my Muck's!

Offline Ouzel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2015, 11:19 AM »
1950's era military cold war footwear....

I'll stick with my Muck's!

The Black ones were 50's era and called "Mickey Mouse Boots"
The White ones came into play in the 60's and still used today. Wore out several pair on the North Slope in Alaska, warmest thing ever for feet, throw a felt insole for extra comfort and good to go for extended periods (think 12 hour work day outside moving a rig)but heavy and do not like oil or diesel.

I still have a pair, Just not tall enough for me to wear on Jackson. too much slush at times.
Your mucks'll be fine no colder than you'll be fishing in.

For anyone interested in the Bunny boot, the Army surplus store just south of Idaho Falls has them.

Tight lines,
Ouzel

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2015, 07:02 PM »
I bought mucks this year as well after being out on fremont and viva naughton last year. Both lakes with tons of slush on top. They claim good to -60....I don't think I'll ever be fishing in anything under -30 (did fish in -22 this year and they were toasty warm)
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline 307fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2015, 07:23 PM »
I have a pair of the white bunny boots rated to minus 60 and they are incredible.   I work in the arctic and this is the one and only boot they use up there as well.  They never leak and your feet will not get cold.  They are designed with a cushion of air between the layers and that's why they look so overly huge and ridiculous.  I've know dog mushers that have gone into overflow and got completely soaked in below freezing temps and all they did was wring out their socks, pour the water out of the boot and kept on going....I couldn't believe it but that's what those boots are designed for.   Anyway, I bought my wife and son a pair and they never have cold feet!   True though, they are a bit low so you have to be careful with slush....
  Also look up the "Bama" sock. It's a small bootie that goes over your sock system and wicks away perspiration to the outside of the bootie/ sock.   I've had to figure out all these extreme cold weather systems for working in the far north.

Offline PERSONA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2015, 05:52 AM »
Not all pacs are created equal! I own a pair of cabelas trans alaskan boots and I've stood in the nastiest of crap.. 2 ft of wet snow with a foot of water underneath! Never did I get wet or cold! A bit cumbersome and the traction isn't the best but man do they kick a$$!

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2015, 07:06 AM »
http://www.schnees.com/product/2613/Made-In-Montana-Pac-Boots

I wear Schnees Extreme 10" model. I have field tested many different types of boots for the purpose of icefishing. They are manufactured in Bozeman, MT. Since taking the plunge on a this spendy investment, I have been nothing but happy with the performance. The lower rubber portion has an air chamber between layers to provide excellent insulation for the mobile iceman and the leather uppers are very high quality. When oiled after slushy trips, they should last a very long time. During the 4 years of owning these boots I had only one small issue-There were "micro cracks" (a term used by the schnees employee) on the lowers. I dropped them off at the store in bozeman and a week later got my boots back with the lowers replaced free of charge. An awesome boot and local company that provides great customer service.
So many fish, so little time.

Offline tiny6969696

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2015, 07:42 AM »
Mucks for me

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2015, 08:24 AM »
BD did you get a parking ticket on your truck parked at Colter's Saturday?
not I.  Watch out for the Spring in Colter.  I fell in there a couple years back

Offline jaklakmak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LIVE OUTDOORS!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2015, 01:46 PM »
 ;D
not I.  Watch out for the Spring in Colter.  I fell in there a couple years back
The one that is about 20 yards out from the bank by the North loop road?

Offline Ouzel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2015, 08:24 AM »
Guess I am cheap skate compared to you fellas.
I wear a single pair of "FITS" merino wool socks inside of a pair of cowboy boots inside of a pair of La Crosse 14"      5 buckle overboots. Which the same that I wear daily at home during the winter.

Have fished Jackson in the - teens and low 20's several times. Not saying I haven't done the "teamsters stomp" a couple times on cold days, but for 99% of the time comfortable toasty and don't have to change or take off boots to get in truck, restaurant, or go in the house.
I have a set of Whites Packs that I have used on hard top elsewhere, generally just use them for late season elk or wolf hunts. Have been in too many jackpots with the slush monster on Jackson over the years to chance wearing something I will possibly get my feet wet in.

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2015, 09:54 AM »
;DThe one that is about 20 yards out from the bank by the North loop road?
just outside the narrow mouth of marina, 30 or 40 yds off of beach on the right, before the bay gets big

Offline pot-belly-perch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 24, 2015, 10:03 AM »
2 pair  of muck boots for me
dont leave home without them  for shore
smile it makes others wonder what your up to

Ye Old Big Hammer   you use the rite tool for the rite job   when in dout ye old big hammer

Offline gravy_t

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 24, 2015, 10:25 AM »
Sorels for me. Mine have the wool liner....very warm and dry.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 24, 2015, 10:42 AM »
Sorels for me. Mine have the wool liner....very warm and dry.

Used to wear Pacs all the time, until the Muck Arctic Pro's arrived. Best boots I've worn for the ice, coupled with microSpikes when on slick ice, tough to beat.

Offline gupster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 25, 2015, 05:08 PM »
Kenetracks for me

Offline elk-hnter-on-ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 25, 2015, 05:19 PM »
Bunny's for super cold and BOGs Ranchers the rest of the time.

Offline wygeargeek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 25, 2015, 09:14 PM »
Baffin Impacts...Feet never get cold no matter how cold it is...
http://www.baffin.com/product-p/40000048.htm

Offline 7lazy77

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GO POKES!
« Reply #24 on: Jan 25, 2015, 10:38 PM »
Baffin Impacts...Feet never get cold no matter how cold it is...
http://www.baffin.com/product-p/40000048.htm

x2 on the Baffin's!!  I have the Apex's & NO cold feet regardless of the temps.

Offline augergas

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 25, 2015, 11:36 PM »
Used to wear Pacs all the time, until the Muck Arctic Pro's arrived. Best boots I've worn for the ice, coupled with microSpikes when on slick ice, tough to beat.

Bought a pair of Mucks during the spring sales and I can't believe how great they are. After wearing pacs and overshoes and all sorts of things, these Mucks are the easiest, most comfortable things I've ever worn.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.