The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Thoughts on White Perch, Lets hear what you have to say  (Read 8199 times)

Offline BassInVt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ain't nothing better than fishing!!
I am curious on what peoples thoughts are on white perch.  I understand they are considered a non native fish. It seems to me that people dont care for them. why? They grow bigger than yellows in our lake, larger numbers, fun to catch, put on a good hunt.  People up in maine will eat white perch over yellow perch. cant say that i have ever tried them, would like to this winter and see for myself.

I no that they will devistate a yellow perch habitat, and sometimes even walleye habitats.  I understand the state believes that they have been in our lake since 2003? if this is the case, do we really believe we can fish them out, since they have been here 12 plus years? I for some reason dont this so.  I think we may have to start thinking that they are really our new panfish to hunt. anyways just my thoughts. Lets hear yours. thank you and tite lines
What?? fish are biting, I'm gone

Offline taggin out

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Thoughts on White Perch, Lets hear what you have to say
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2015, 06:25 AM »
They have been there longer than that. I remember catching them in the early 90's.

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2015, 06:33 AM »
I no that they will devistate a yellow perch habitat, and sometimes even walleye habitats. 

That's enough reason to fish them out right there.  They are fun to catch and not bad to eat, but invasive is still invasive.

Offline dave bartlett

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2015, 06:52 AM »
     I have never eaten one,but everybody i know that has tried them said they are strong fish taste and they won't eat them again.They used to be a pain in the ass in Southern Champlain but since the late 80's,when we caught white perch we always caught Walleyes.From then on we never caught a walleye without catching a few white perch.Very interesting stat but true. Also we used a few white perch that we jigged up as bait and we caught a pike on every tip up we had baited with one.

Offline Nthaburgh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2015, 07:03 AM »
So following along the "invasive is invasive" argument, do we get rid of all the rainbow trout. According to VT Fish and Game website they are not a native species.

A quote from their website. "A true native to the American West that were introduced in Vermont in the 1800s."

Just a thought. Not claiming to know the right answer, but they are here and i think we'd be naive to think we could get rid of them in a lake the size of Champlain.
"I've come to know the cold...I think of it as home" -G&R

Offline flagfishon

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You should have seen it! It was huge!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2015, 07:24 AM »
Think of them as a weed in your garden.  If nothing is done they will out compete other species and possibly wipe them out.  Just like weeds if we pull enough of them, the damage that they do will be reduced.  I don't think that we can ever wipe them out, but I believe that we can make a difference.  This is why it's necessary to have limits on other fish, because over-fishing can hurt a population.  The lake used to be loaded with sturgeon.  How many of those have you caught lately?

As for the taste; people call them butter perch.  I fried some yellow and white perch last year and my family was split on which was better.  They are a little sweeter, and I wouldn't say fishy.  The worst part is cleaning them.  They have huge bones and get really slimy. 

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2015, 07:26 AM »
  People up in maine will eat white perch over yellow perch.

I going to set up a white perch for lobster trade agreement. whos in? 

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2015, 07:50 AM »
Just a thought. Not claiming to know the right answer, but they are here and i think we'd be naive to think we could get rid of them in a lake the size of Champlain.

Yeah it would be nearly impossible to do.  I like to eat them, they make good bait, and are fun to catch.  I like catching and eating walleyes more, so if whites pose a real problem to eyes, it wouldn't hurt my feelings seeing them thinned out.

I hear ya on the invasive is invasive comment. Tough to know where you draw the line on that.  Its like ok, whites are bad but bows are good so they can stay.

Offline happy pond hopper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2015, 07:51 AM »
Tell me where they are I will be happy to relieve a couple of buckets of them to my freezer be glad you have fish to catch

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2015, 07:52 AM »
Here's what I know:  They most likely came to Champlain from the Hudson, via the the canal. They have been here since 1984 but the population started to take off within the last 10 years. I definitely know that they are delicious and have a lot of meat! I put many pounds of fillets in my freezer every year and eat them all summer. Maybe I'm biased because I can't find yellow perch over 12" but I get more meat off of a typical white perch than I do off the biggest yellows I catch. I really enjoy the hunt and its a gorgeous sight when your flasher goes solid red for 30'.

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2015, 07:59 AM »
I forgot to mention the food web implications: They love to eat larger zooplankton (daphnia), these are the same ones that eat the cyanobacteria that cause the nasty algae blooms in Missisquoi and St Albans bay. No definitive link yet, but it is entirely possibly that white perch are increasing algae blooms, which is unfortunate given the amount of effort and money that has gone towards reducing the nutrient sources that cause the blooms. They are also a major predator of fish eggs, especially walleye.

Offline jbritch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2015, 08:20 AM »

I got this mess about ten years ago at Hog Island.  Sure, they're more fun to catch than those little yellow perch and that lonely smelt, but I'd give all of them away for some yellow perch any day (even though I never found a worm in one).  They're a lot tougher to clean and seemed to taste bland compared to the perch.  I know they prefer turbid (cloudy/muddy) waters and always seem to come hard after the first thawing rains in the spring so it makes sense there'd be walleyes in the same waters, too.  I doubt we'll ever clean them out of the lake.  Maybe if the state put a bounty on them by subsidizing the price fish mongers paid for them???  Are we sure they're not keeping the next insidious invasive species at bay?

Offline BassInVt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ain't nothing better than fishing!!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2015, 09:06 AM »
So Im hearing some great pros and cons. Thank you everyone, would like to hear some more. Its interesting that some are saying they have been here since 1984, mainly in the southern section of the lake. So now they have made there way to the northern and central sections of the lake.  How far north have people caught them? Hog island folks have you caught them up your way?? just curious.

A lot of people do eat them and sell them, I personally dont think i will ever waist my time trying to sell them at .40cent per pound. I would just clean them and freeze them or give them away. 

But some of you are correct, when is the last time you caught a 2 pound perch in lake champlain? Ive caught some beautys, but nothing that size in a yellow.  I can still remember catching 5 gallon bucket fulls of yellow and none were ever *dinks*, but that was many years ago, and there was never a limit on them. Those days are definately gone.

But also, now we have alwives, spiney water flee, I cant say that a rainbrow trout is a invasive fish, that was introduced here from the west. Even brown trout were introduced, i believe from france.  Brookies are really the only native for our trout species, including our landlocked salmon, I think our lakers were introduced also.

But think about it, now we have *hydrid northerns and musky* also. Are those natives, i dont think so, were they introduced?? or invasive.  The tench being caught up north, is another big one, that is causing problems. Those were from a private pond, so those would be considered invasive.  Some say carp are heading this way, personally i dont want to get slapped by a 10 pound carp jumping into my boat when i scare one. But Ive seen it happen.

So far that I do believe, will be difficult to do is to fish them out of the lake, when One female whitey, can lay up to 150,000 eggs a year. OUCH. We definately have our work cut out for us on those. thank you
What?? fish are biting, I'm gone

Offline jbritch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2015, 09:10 AM »
Read the post above again if you're still wondering about white perch at Hog Island.

Offline felix

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2015, 09:14 AM »
  My 2 cents on white perch. They are good eating, yellows are great eating. I like eating fish and feel as though there are some overlooked species that are good to eat, plentiful and fun to catch. Don't know anything about their impact on bodies of water where they are not a native species, but I know that I have never encountered anyone who is upset when someone keeps a bunch of them. They do have heavy rib bones that are difficult to cut through. An electric fillet knife makes that easier.  They are good to use for fish patties, fish fry sandwiches and I hear they are good when smoked.
  So, fill a bucket of easy to catch, tasty fish while feeling like your doing something that is potentally good for the ecosystem....whats not to like?

Offline woodab17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 13.5 lbs
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2015, 09:46 AM »
     I have never eaten one,but everybody i know that has tried them said they are strong fish taste and they won't eat them again.They used to be a pain in the ass in Southern Champlain but since the late 80's,when we caught white perch we always caught Walleyes.From then on we never caught a walleye without catching a few white perch.Very interesting stat but true. Also we used a few white perch that we jigged up as bait and we caught a pike on every tip up we had baited with one.

I am not a huge eater of fish.  But I have spent quite a lot of time fishing in Maine.  I have tried both.  Whoever is telling you that is quite confused because I have found the whites to be much better tasting and so had everyone else I had ever talked to.

Offline dave bartlett

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2015, 10:48 AM »
       Woodab 17,
  I'm going to Stoney Point area on Champlain Saturday.If we catch a white perch i am going to keep them and try it for myself.The only way i can give MY honest opinion.

Offline tracker one

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • if you ain't gonna eat em,throw em back
« Reply #17 on: Jan 22, 2015, 10:59 AM »
filletting white perch is the best way to clean the bigger ones,IMHO

Offline woodab17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 13.5 lbs
« Reply #18 on: Jan 22, 2015, 12:39 PM »
       Woodab 17,
  I'm going to Stoney Point area on Champlain Saturday.If we catch a white perch i am going to keep them and try it for myself.The only way i can give MY honest opinion.

I think that is a great idea Dave......that way you can make your own choice......

I am interested in the idea of using them for bait to catch big pike.  I have used yellows but never a white.  Can't see why it wouldn't work.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 22, 2015, 01:07 PM »

Dunno what kind of white perch they ate but the have a pretty white meat and all the whites I've eaten have tasted great. Not as sweet and flaky as yellows but still very good. There is slayer of dark meat or fat between the scales and meat that needs to be trimmed off but if you're good at fileting you can cut around it easy.

Offline johnrielly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 22, 2015, 01:08 PM »
The fishy taste can be eliminated by cutting out the reddish meat (fat)... I feel that the interest in catching these fish has increased 10 fold in the last couple years and I would expect that this will continue to happen. I think as long as we continue to target them, the population should keep in check..

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 22, 2015, 01:16 PM »
Also, these fish are here to stay for sure. Sure we can keep some of the population down but I really don't think we've made a dent even after last years harvest. The most action I've ever had jigging was with whites....when you catch a big white every 20 seconds for 10 hours straight now can you not love to fish for them?  Sure it's too bad there here but I say we make the most of it.

Offline FlyPredatorVT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 22, 2015, 01:26 PM »
Here is what I know as far as native and introduced species in Lake Champlain

Lake trout- native but reintroduced
Landlocked salmon- native but reintroduced
Musky- native
Pike- native
Chain pickerel- native
Pike/pickerel hybrid- native and naturally occurring
Tiger musky- native natural hybrid but extremely rare
Rainbow- introduced
Brown- introduced
Brook trout- native but gone from the main lake
Smallmouth bass- native
largemouth- introduced
Pumpkinseed- native
Bluegill- introduced
Crappies- introduced
Smelt- native
Alewife- introduced
Yellow perch- native
White perch- introduced
Walleye- native
Common carp- introduced
Bowfin- native
longnose gar- native
Drum (sheepshead)- native

Avid fly angler, rookie ice fisherman, lifetime fish geek

Offline ICE_HOOK

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fish now or never !!!!!!!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 22, 2015, 03:01 PM »
Where in Champlain is the best place to find them? Are there any below the Champlain bridge? Would love to try to fish for them and see how they taste!

Offline mempfree

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 22, 2015, 03:08 PM »
Well this morning I took my mom, bless her soul, she turned 86, this past Saturday out to Lake Memphremagog, near the Twin Islands, where we met my sister, for a day of fishing for yellow perch.  My sister got one, over a LB, white perch.  I agree, with Jbritch, that they are a bland tasting perch.  My cousin's in Maine, eat White Perch and throw, Yellow Perch away. ???  Ha, ha, ha.  I feel, that with a little butter or olive oil, in the bottom of a pan, with a mix of flour and corn meal, that's all you need for flavor, as a yellow perch, has a sweet flavor.  Now, the white perch, is a bland tasting, so you have to put in, a lot of herbs, etc. Just my opinion. ;D  We had a ok day.  Those yellow perch, were fussy.  We threw, three things at them.  Live minnows, spikes and real fish eyes, from the perch we caught.  Caught, over 50, between the three of us.  My sister got the most, mom got ten, I only got 3, ha, ha, ha.  I really don't care to fish for just perch.  I love to put out my tip-ups, but it was a time, to bring my mom out.  She loves to fish!

Offline percheater

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 22, 2015, 03:33 PM »
I can remember bass fishing bass fishing in the Fort Ticonderoga area, 20 years ago, and seeing the water just boiling with them. I have eaten them and yellows and to me there is no comparison..Yellows all the way. Perhaps it is an accquired taste. That being said if you like em eat em. They do provide sport and hit and fight hard for their size. Also last year for me on Champlain , yellow perch fishing was poor! I couldn't consistently find em. This Year is the total opposite. Good catches and good size. Hope it continnues.
Gary Owen

Offline Troutmagnet

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 22, 2015, 03:56 PM »
I've never caught a white perch but hope to make the trek to the St. Albans area if the reports start showing they are back in numbers. Does anyone know how the mercury level in the white fish compare to the larger yellow perch???

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 22, 2015, 03:57 PM »
Well this morning I took my mom, bless her soul, she turned 86, this past Saturday out to Lake Memphremagog, near the Twin Islands, where we met my sister, for a day of fishing for yellow perch.  My sister got one, over a LB, white perch.  I agree, with Jbritch, that they are a bland tasting perch.  My cousin's in Maine, eat White Perch and throw, Yellow Perch away. ???  Ha, ha, ha.  I feel, that with a little butter or olive oil, in the bottom of a pan, with a mix of flour and corn meal, that's all you need for flavor, as a yellow perch, has a sweet flavor.  Now, the white perch, is a bland tasting, so you have to put in, a lot of herbs, etc. Just my opinion. ;D  We had a ok day.  Those yellow perch, were fussy.  We threw, three things at them.  Live minnows, spikes and real fish eyes, from the perch we caught.  Caught, over 50, between the three of us.  My sister got the most, mom got ten, I only got 3, ha, ha, ha.  I really don't care to fish for just perch.  I love to put out my tip-ups, but it was a time, to bring my mom out.  She loves to fish!

Memp,glad your mom is still able to get out and enjoy some ice fishing, that is awesome !

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 22, 2015, 04:36 PM »
 ??? :tipup:  Champlain now has white perch in huge numbers!   You can't cure it but you can learn to love them!   In NH I  grew up catching them 50 years ago!   They are easy to catch , multiply fast to edible size and taste great.   In our bigger lakes they grow to small mouth bass size (2-3 lbs) and have become a primary ice fishing target.   They are just another prime fish that you have to learn to catch! 
Dick

Offline PerchSlayer67

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "It's a big one guys!"
« Reply #29 on: Jan 22, 2015, 04:39 PM »
Personally I think if you were to deep fry 6 white perch and 6 yellow perch and have a person that doesn't eat fish much try them.. They wouldn't be able to tell the difference! I can tell the difference but its a really similar taste. I would rather have a bucket full of white slabs then yellows!
"Ice is on the lake so we're going Fishin!"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.