Author Topic: Location, location, location....  (Read 2076 times)

Offline FishingPhotographer

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
Location, location, location....
« on: Jan 21, 2015, 08:25 AM »
Maybe it's just me, but I dislike clicking a post, like, "Looking to meet up." Or, "What should I use for..." Only to see that there Location spot is blank.  It makes it hard to reply, since they may be 500 miles away, or since what works in 1 state, may not work in another. Typically, the first response is always, "Where are you?"

I wish the powers at be would make Location, a mandatory field when signing up. Those of us signed up can simply go to Profile, then Modify Profile, then Forum Profile and fill in your location. Easy peasy and will make this an even more useful site, in my humble opinion.

Hopefully Iceshanty will keep this post here for all to see since those of us already signed up and using, don't regularly go to the, How Does This site Work page.... 👍

How do you all feel about this?
I should’ve chosen Fishin’Mortician as my username… ;-)

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
Re: Location, location, location....
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2015, 08:29 AM »
This topic comes up every year. We will not force people to put their location in their profile. Its up to them. Some people are just paranoid and others were too anxious to get posting to fill in a location. Nothing says you have to reply to them.  Over the years I learned that when people start bugging them about their location, their fill it in sooner or later. Most of the time it is newbies who don't have the location in their profile. Just be patient with them. Remember, you were a newbie too at one time.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Bucket Brigade

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wait...I have a bite
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2015, 08:30 AM »
I could care less because I'm here to help others. What bugs me is all the topics that gets moved. 90% of the threads should get moved then. Just lime Smitty's post moved to equipment.  What about all the Marcum questions? Shouldn't they be moved there as well?
When there is ice on the lakes, I never make employee of the month!

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2015, 08:31 AM »
Smitty's post was moved to equipment so that it could be preserved.  ;)  We may have to make a new board just for smitty inventions.  ;D

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2015, 08:40 AM »
Just to be clear, I'm here to help to, and am by no means frustrated nor upset with anyone. 😃 I just feel it's easier to communicate more efficiently when we know where people are. As for the paranoid, big brother is ALWAYS watching anyway, so just fill it in... Lol

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2015, 08:47 AM »
Maybe just add another bullet in the '[ReadMe] Helpful reminders for new members]' at the top of the page suggesting new members add their location..

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2015, 08:48 AM »
To many chiefs and not enough Indians. ICE SHANTY MODS DO A GREAT JOB. GREAT SITE Keep it going just the way you do. I hope I'm not political incorrect.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2015, 08:53 AM »
We can suggest it all we want but some people won't do it. I think they are the people who hide in their basements with their cats and wear aluminum foil hats.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2015, 08:53 AM »
I and I think we, are not picking on anyone, especially mods, and I know I am not trying to be a chief. I am simply voicing my opinion, please don't make me regret doing so...

GREAT pic Roy! I'm stealing it, btw. Lol

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2015, 08:56 AM »
I and I think we, are not picking on anyone, especially mods, and I know I am not trying to be a chief. I am simply voicing my opinion, please don't make me regret doing so...

no don't regret it. Its just something that we mods have been battle for years. Especially when someone with no location in their profile posts on the main board here "how's the ice on loon lake?  Loon lake where? What state? What county? etc.   After a while you just can't let it get to you. In fact we take humor in it now.  ;D

Offline spudsaway

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2015, 08:57 AM »
I Like Cats !!!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2015, 09:00 AM »
Thanks Roy. 👍🍻

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2015, 09:04 AM »
Thanks Roy. 👍🍻

you're welcome.  Now if you ever feel like complaining again about something, come join us in the Grumpy old men shanty.  We have a lot of fun and you really can't stay grumpy there long. ;D

Grumpy Old Men Shanty

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2015, 09:05 AM »
A lot of new members have lurked for some time ...so they have read the "please add your location to your profile" request thousands of times ....its nothing new .
Its very important as it pertains to the type of weather the inquiring member may experience concerning certain topics ..ie Boots ,Clothing, Shelters, Regulations ...Lost and Found items on Lake XYZ...also if there are deals to be had at local merchants, hardware stores, bait shops etc ...hard to pass them along .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline felix

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2015, 09:13 AM »
Got to be someone out there who read this post and left the basement long enough to enter their location. Lets hear from you so we can congratulate you.

By the way, from the look on that cats face I don't think it's going to take much more of that foil hat. Get the first aid kit ready.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2015, 09:27 AM »
👍👍👍👍 How about the grumpy men page. I'm not THAT old...yet! Lol

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Jan 21, 2015, 09:39 AM »
Grumpy old men shanty is not about age but about your mind.  ;D

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Jan 21, 2015, 09:55 AM »
We can suggest it all we want but some people won't do it. I think they are the people who hide in their basements with their cats and wear aluminum foil hats.

Your talking about my neighbors again. I have in the last 1 1/2 years had 5 Families move into this area that are building bunkers made of 10" thick cement for dooms day. Yes Dooms dayers are here. Sorry don't know how to spell.
                            /\
                             |
<===Lefty===

Offline hardwatercrazy

• Team IceShanty Regular
I am sure I will get your typical sarcastic responses to this butt here goes.  Why do people not fill in there location?  Are folks afraid listing their location will give away their fishing spots?  Or are there that many people on here in the witness protection plan and can't, due to fear for their life?

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: location
« Reply #19 on: Jan 27, 2015, 11:10 AM »
where's the "like" button?

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 27, 2015, 11:11 AM »
I am sure I will get your typical sarcastic responses to this butt here goes.  Why do people not fill in there location?  Are folks afraid listing their location will give away their fishing spots?  Or are there that many people on here in the witness protection plan and can't, due to fear for their life?

LIKE TIMES 2

Offline slickrockhounds

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 27, 2015, 11:15 AM »
Yepper. that and lack of photos. pretty annoying.

Offline frigidaire

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 27, 2015, 12:21 PM »
Gotta be careful on this subject.  The Mods don't like it when you question the ambition, intelligence (and sobriety) of the membership.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 27, 2015, 12:34 PM »
I just asked the same thing last week. Lol Do a search here for Location, location, location if the link below doesn't work. You see some more input. From Mods as well.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=307382.msg3214397#msg3214397

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #24 on: Jan 27, 2015, 12:38 PM »
Been asking, begging, pleading, suggesting, hinting that be made a prerequisite before posting for years. But still, people on their first post with no location ask: "Hows the bite on Widget Lake?"  ::)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #25 on: Jan 27, 2015, 12:40 PM »
Been asking, begging, pleading, suggesting, hinting that be made a prerequisite before posting for years. But still, people on their first post with no location ask: "Hows the bite on Widget Lake?"  ::)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline hardwatercrazy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 27, 2015, 12:46 PM »
I just asked the same thing last week. Lol Do a search here for Location, location, location if the link below doesn't work. You see some more input. From Mods as well.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=307382.msg3214397#msg3214397
Thanks FishingPhotogragher.  That's what I get for not using the "search".  Read thr topic you started and that some funny stuff.  Interesting though that no one posted why they don't fill in location.  Oh well so goes life.

Offline hardwatercrazy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 27, 2015, 12:49 PM »
adkRoy I would like to thank you for the many laughs you and other members have given me.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 27, 2015, 07:35 PM »
👍🍻

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 27, 2015, 08:35 PM »
I dont think it matters,fish the humps,fish the flats,fish the breaks,repeat  ;D.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.