Author Topic: Duck Mountains trip (pics)  (Read 4752 times)

Offline mikeypikey

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 50% of something is better than 100% of nothing
Duck Mountains trip (pics)
« on: Jan 20, 2015, 05:18 PM »
Finally did a Tiger Trout trip . headed out to twin lake .. 
5hr drive from wpg
me and buddy matt did a 5 night 6 day camping/fishing trip up to the duck mountains.

TWIN LAKE 2 days , LAURIE LAKE 2 days and GULL LAKE 1 day

went out and bought some hunting/camping cots to sleep in the pop up shacks .  -60 sleeping bags for the cool nights

we sat down and did our check list and most stuff had extra x2 , who knows what can happen , so be prepared
2 augers , extra flasher batteries , food , tools , first aid kits . etc ,

on our way out to the duck Mountains we stopped at Todd Winters house in Dauphin MB
this guy makes hand crafted Flies , Lures and the best hand made hair jigs that I've ever seen and used .. Check them out , promise you wont be disappointed
caught most of our tiger trout on these hair jigs , plus 2 master angler tigers

with the low snowfall in Manitoba this year , it made this trip easy to get around ,  Twin lake we just used pull sleds to get the spots.
lots of people cut and make large viewing holes to sight fish these tigers ,  most guys seem to mark their large holes with trees and sticks ,
but just keep your eyes open

we wanted to bring a snowmobile but just the cost and bs that can come with extra stuff , we decided to leave it at home.. 
but the duck mountains is just gorgeous county would of been a awesome sled ride

Tiger Trout are the hardest fighting trout that I've ever caught , these trout have one hell of a head shake , they just won't give up ..
and the color patterns these fish have is unreal , every fish has unique markings
got 4 masters and count med size tigers , second day on twin was cool and windy which seem to change the mood of the fish..

had one rod lost to a trophy tiger,  I took a pee break and heard this sound of a screaming drag coming from my shack
"O CRAP"  I Piss all over my self to try and save this rod , NOPE , took everything . rod and holder.. (shaking my head) 80 buck combo

took 500 pictures on this trip , but heres some of the best ,  first up Twin lake photos ..  next will be laurie lake trip

[URL=http://s1187.photobucket.com/user/Mikey_Smith1/media/IMG_0323_zps4dde0728.jpg.html]

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z393/Mikey_Smith1/IMG_0310_zpsa152e8eb.jpg[/img][/URL]

LAURIE LAKE

LAKE TROUT ,BROWN TROUT AND SPLAKE

This is a crystal clear lake , you can see down 20 feet and watch the trout circle your hooks.. 
we camped   2 days on this lake ..  caught 45 lake trout in two days and 15 splake , seen the brown trout,but couldn't get them to bite.
this lake was my favorite out of the 3 we fished ,  ..  but don't kid yourself this lake was a puzzle to figure out .. drilled 30-40 holes till we found the honey hole .. ripping large spoons got the hungry fish to smash our lures and screaming drag was a echoing sound I heard all day coming out of matty shack
we drove a truck on the lake with ease , which is almost a never heard of , usually high snow in this area , but not this year.

GULL LAKE . 
camped 2 nights but fish only one whole day ,..  we were told this lake holds large whitefish , so my buddy matt is a whitefish expert from thunder bay
we studied the gull lake map and found a few key spot that we though would harbour whitefish .  so we set up camp and fished
took us 10 mins to hook into our first master whitefish , 
I lost more whitefish then caught , these things fight  and get squirrely at the hole ,  we landed 20 whitefish and lost just as many

we once again got to drive onto the lake with no issues ,  ice is 18" plus . 
we also caught tons of little rainbow trout and brook trout but no trophies 

hope you guys enjoyed the pictures and the post ... 

cant catch fish on the couch ,  get up and get out there ,

mikeypikey

Where ever you go.. There you are!

Offline dkozyra15

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Duck Mountains trip (pics)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2015, 05:47 PM »
Well done buddy!!
A bad day of fishing is still better then a good day @ work!

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2015, 06:13 PM »

Balls!

WS

Offline corny13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2015, 09:12 PM »
Sweet!  What a great trip tks for sharing!

Offline avidangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2015, 11:26 PM »
Fantastic report, great pics ..must have been fun   thx for sharing.  I am sooo jealous  lol

Offline johnny-walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2015, 09:47 AM »
nice fish but great toque!  thx for the pics and report!

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2015, 09:51 AM »
Those big Tigers are so sweet! Awesome pics man

Offline anglure

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2015, 09:59 AM »
  Excellent read and great pics !! Thanks for the quality post !!  :woot: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline 57mustang

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2015, 03:28 PM »
have to agree with you on the fight... strongest trout i have caught... had one yank the rod right out of my hands... luckily i saved it but the fish got off...had to go back again to redeem myself after that mistake... great pictures again... those whities look huge , too !!!

Offline DIRTBALL2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2015, 05:31 PM »
You da man mikeypikey! I can truthfully say that never before have I seen and read such an excellent report! A dip of my chapeau to you! :clap: The picture's you took were unbelievable! I could hardly believe the size of those HUGE whitefish you caught! Do you have any clue as to how much they weighed? Remember now! " You never want to let the truth get in the way in the telling of a good fishing story!" :icefish: :roflmao: DIRTBALL2 ;)2
YOU CAN'T BS AN OLD BS'ER!

Offline mikeypikey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2015, 03:41 PM »
Lol thanks guys
Dirtball those whitefish were 23"to 25"
Weight probably 70lbs each lol

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2015, 06:17 PM »
Man, that was one heck of a road trip, congrats on all the dandy big trout and whitefish you guys found. :clap:
Great scenery in that area also.

Did you find that most of your whitefish were caught on the bottom or were suspended.

WW

Offline mikeypikey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2015, 08:08 PM »
waterwolf ,

most whitefish were caught 5 feet from the bottom .   

some 40fow but got them 35 feet down ..

early morning bite 25 fow and got them 20 feet down ...   

mostly aggressive jigging ..  ripping and pause .  rip and pause .  they would smack the lure on the flutter down .   

we would hook into a few with crappie soft plastic jigs ,  but with barbless hooks , they would shake the hook

as with trebles on a jigging spoon we would ice 3/4 of the fish

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2015, 06:03 PM »
I see, thanks for the info. :)
The few whitefish I have caught through the ice have been on the bottom or hit the lure just off of it.

I have heard of aggressive jigging for the whitefish, but never tried it. Ciscos / Tullibees on the other hand I have caught with the aggressive jigging that you described.

WW

Offline Hookin Jawz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2015, 11:10 PM »
 Those are great pics: I wished that I could have visited longer with you on Gull Lake, I would have learned alot. I went to Laurie Lake after talking to you guys but only seen one. What were you using on that lake for Lakers, I am just a rookie and could use some help

Offline mikeypikey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 31, 2015, 03:48 PM »
Those are great pics: I wished that I could have visited longer with you on Gull Lake, I would have learned alot. I went to Laurie Lake after talking to you guys but only seen one. What were you using on that lake for Lakers, I am just a rookie and could use some help
oh that was you..  nice ...  ya laurie lake was a fun lake to fish and took us awhile to figure out what those finicky trout wanted .. 

ripping silver jigging spoons was the lure they seem to attack

but you almost got tired jigging , you had to keep your lure moving , don't give them the chance to stare at it , rip rip and rip , 

Offline The_Big_Cat_Canada

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 03, 2015, 01:19 PM »
Classic Mikey post, fantastic job once again. Great fish and awesome pics.

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #17 on: Feb 16, 2015, 02:52 PM »
Classic Mikey post, fantastic job once again. Great fish and awesome pics.
Ditto  @)
Awesome Tigers……wtg finding them.
Blue Igloo  :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.