The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Ice conditions on Pontiac lake  (Read 1302 times)

Offline wrenchbenderjr426

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice conditions on Pontiac lake
« on: Jan 20, 2015, 04:01 PM »
Can anyone tell me what the ice is like on Pontiac lake? Got stuck working in Texas and when i get back i was hoping to fish it. :tipup:

Offline rusty go0se

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice conditions on Pontiac lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2015, 04:17 PM »
9 inches of ice. Warm front came through and slushed and refroze the top. Was slick as all hell yesterday but with todays snow we regained some traction. Couple spots of black ice just west of gail island. But other then that its good.
"Anything free is worth saving up for"

Offline aaron_sh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2015, 06:10 PM »
About a foot of ice when I was out today. Was very slick with about 2 inches of powder on top, make sure you wear your cleats.  As far as the fishing goes... try elsewhere.  I sat out there for 6 hours to catch about 60 or 70 dink perch and gills.  Moved everywhere.

Offline wrenchbenderjr426

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2015, 09:04 AM »
Thanks guys I work at the airport so it is always a good spot to hit right after work.

Offline rusty go0se

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2015, 09:07 AM »
I agree at this point. Try elsewhere. Like aaron I continue to come up with dink gills and perch no matter where I go. Caught one pike yesterday...sub legal naturally

Offline zmantc54

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2015, 10:26 AM »
I agree at this point. Try elsewhere. Like aaron I continue to come up with dink gills and perch no matter where I go. Caught one pike yesterday...sub legal naturally

Agreed, if you are panfishing or searching for elusive walleyes...go elsewhere.  However, I do still believe there are large pike in there.  I've seen big groups of people just tip up fish and do well.  I actually may consider spearing there soon...
Flag up!

Offline aaron_sh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2015, 11:06 AM »
Still trying to decide where to go today.  Maceday, Union, Loon, Lake Oakland, Cass... hmmm

Offline zmantc54

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2015, 11:50 AM »
I keep talking about going to Maceday, but I have to go after fishing another place where I've caught a ton.  Cause I've heard more than likely the action will be slow, but if you do get something it is well worth it...

I got skunked on Union last night.
Flag up!

Offline rusty go0se

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2015, 12:00 PM »
What ive been hearing from the guys that regularly fish maceday is that, yes its been slow. I went out once and got skunked. However im sure that I will try again

Offline aaron_sh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2015, 06:53 PM »
I keep talking about going to Maceday, but I have to go after fishing another place where I've caught a ton.  Cause I've heard more than likely the action will be slow, but if you do get something it is well worth it...

I got skunked on Union last night.

Went to Union from 1:30-5:30 today. 3 dink perch.  I've about had it with what this county has to offer for fishing.

Offline zmantc54

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2015, 06:58 PM »
Went to Union from 1:30-5:30 today. 3 dink perch.  I've about had it with what this county has to offer for fishing.

Well, not quite sure what you were expecting...it's not really a jumbo perch lake.  I'm a firm believer in that lake, look at the Navionics maps...incredible.  There are a ton of walleye, tons of gills/sunfish and crappie.

It's been hit or miss for me, I will be on it Saturday morning early. 
Flag up!

Offline zmantc54

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2015, 07:15 PM »
Still trying to decide where to go today.  Maceday, Union, Loon, Lake Oakland, Cass... hmmm

I just looked at Cass lake on my app...any success on that in the past?  I might try it out and fish "Coles bay" in the north east end...
Flag up!

Offline aaron_sh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2015, 07:41 PM »
I just looked at Cass lake on my app...any success on that in the past?  I might try it out and fish "Coles bay" in the north east end...

Have not fished Cass at all.  I wasn't expecting jumbos at all... however, I was expecting bluegills, crappie, anything..  I fished all the way to the east end of that lake.  The perch I found were in 30 fow.  Fished anywhere from 5-45 with only those few perch.  I also have the navionics app and was fishing sunken islands, points, etc. as I do on all lakes.

Offline aaron_sh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2015, 07:47 PM »
I will say, Union is one I would love to bass fish at the crack of dawn on a summer day.  The depth changes are unreal out there!

Offline zmantc54

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2015, 08:14 PM »
I haven't been able to fish for perch yet this year.  In my opinion, I am not going to waste my time catching a billion little guys...so I usually wait until I go up north and fish Skegemog or Glen lakes.

However, the one weekend I was going to dare and go out to LSC (I live in Northville, so its a trip)....I see there is a fricken tournament at Gino's!?  ??? :%$#!:
Flag up!

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 27, 2015, 08:40 PM »

Over 400 named lakes in the County.......... and your about done? Phooey Aaron. Do not give up. Maybe focus on smaller waters rather than the 400+ acre monstrosities. Find some of the 20-100 acre lakes, chop them up into manageable pieces. Use your technology to eliminate non productive water and focus on what is left. Then spend a few days on these remaining places, under a variety of conditions. Watch the barometer, fronts etc. You will never figure these lakes out hop scotching around a day  here, day there.

Look at the pics from some of the guys that do well in OC. It has a lot to offer. Hundreds of lakes that can offer up limits of pannies, pike or other quarry. You will find each lake has a go to pattern and or color etc.

On one lake you may need to fish on bottom in 24 fow water to get good gills, yet across the street you may nab them the same day in 3 fow 8" under the ice, and in another spot nearby, 5 fow suspended. Every lake around here is different and must be fished uniquely. Each lake you mentioned has great fishing, you just need to find them, use the right stuff in the right place at the right time. And it may not be on the humps, points, drops and weed beds, but rather where you least expect them to be.

Keep at it, dun give up, this County and neighboring ones have a lot to offer for sure.

Tight Lines

Offline aaron_sh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2015, 08:48 PM »
Over 400 named lakes in the County.......... and your about done? Phooey Aaron. Do not give up. Maybe focus on smaller waters rather than the 400+ acre monstrosities. Find some of the 20-100 acre lakes, chop them up into manageable pieces. Use your technology to eliminate non productive water and focus on what is left. Then spend a few days on these remaining places, under a variety of conditions. Watch the barometer, fronts etc. You will never figure these lakes out hop scotching around a day  here, day there.

Look at the pics from some of the guys that do well in OC. It has a lot to offer. Hundreds of lakes that can offer up limits of pannies, pike or other quarry. You will find each lake has a go to pattern and or color etc.

On one lake you may need to fish on bottom in 24 fow water to get good gills, yet across the street you may nab them the same day in 3 fow 8" under the ice, and in another spot nearby, 5 fow suspended. Every lake around here is different and must be fished uniquely. Each lake you mentioned has great fishing, you just need to find them, use the right stuff in the right place at the right time. And it may not be on the humps, points, drops and weed beds, but rather where you least expect them to be.

Keep at it, dun give up, this County and neighboring ones have a lot to offer for sure.

Tight Lines

Kidding about giving up... that's a trait that isn't in my blood! I guess I'm just flustered with the change in pace of fishing that I've done in OC compared to my homeland.  I'm new to it over here, just been spoiled with access to a couple private lakes and fish a couple publics regularly on the west side of the state.  I'm still young, still learning, going to find the fish eventually.  I'll continue my research on this county.  Thanks for the tips! Much appreciated.

Offline zmantc54

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 27, 2015, 09:53 PM »
He makes a good point...maybe it's time to go light gear and small lakes.  Time for me to get back to the drawing board on which one to try next...any suggestions??? (small lakes)
Flag up!

Offline rusty go0se

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 27, 2015, 10:06 PM »
This thread has now got me thinking. There is a lake in orion township called lake sixteen off of joslyn road. 90 acres or so. I always would do good there for softwater fishing for panfish and northerns. Wondering about the hardwater fishing now...

Offline aaron_sh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 27, 2015, 10:11 PM »
He makes a good point...maybe it's time to go light gear and small lakes.  Time for me to get back to the drawing board on which one to try next...any suggestions??? (small lakes)

I'm looking at a couple lakes further west in Highland Towns hip area right now. Have looked at reports on those lakes from years ago and am intrigued.  I figured out a neat way to search new bodies of water... on google, type "site:iceshanty.com" followed by whatever the topic. And boom, only results from ice shanty for that particular lake! Makes digging up old archives of reports a breeze.

Offline zmantc54

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 27, 2015, 10:45 PM »
I'm fishing my secret pond tomorrow night..but this weekend, I'm trying new small lakes near highland.  Off 59...I will PM you two if I find anything intriguing, well maybe I will!  :tipup:
Flag up!

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 28, 2015, 05:56 AM »
Hunt them fish up like you do deer. If you were to hunr deer in late Feb or March, it would nit be where and how you do in October. They are yarded up now for the most part. OC fish are the same way. Food types and amounts have significantly decreased, forcing the fish to yard up. Lots of unproductive water on the lakes. Find where they yard and half your work is done. The smaller traditional structures you mention, are great for eyes, but not always for 5000 bluegill. Think about a stomach siphon or cot open the bellies of some of the gills you catch, the contents may change the colors you use, size and types of jigs as well.

Good luck with your endeavors.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.