The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Crappie equipment  (Read 1721 times)

Offline kguerrette

• IceShanty Rookie
Crappie equipment
« on: Jan 20, 2015, 08:09 AM »
I got into Crappie fishing last year and love it. The only thing I seem to have trouble with is the rod setup. What line do you crappie fisherman recommend and rod and reel. I bought lots of different ones to find the right one but don't seem to get it right. Line seems to develop memory and reels don't seem to drop down fast to get the other fish waiting without manual pulling it down. Bee, Clamfarmer I would appreciate your input as I know that is what you gentlemen seem to target.
Thank you all for your knowledge in advance.
If unsure of conditions on early Ice, always go with guys bigger than you. Let them go on first........

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
Re: Crappie equipment
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2015, 09:11 AM »
Hey kguerrette,

I like my HT 36” ultralight rods. They have a lot of action but my be a little light on the hook set. My other rods are Fenwick Ice rods. 28” Medium light and a couple ultra lights. Others have different preferences.

The line and reel are probably more key. Are you using fluorocarbon?  I think bee and MG39 use Suffix 2 - 4# gold color. I use Seaguar 2 and 4# InvizX. The InvizX is really supple and not terribly prone to memory. Spinning reels are prone to give your line memory and coiling because of the way line feeds off in a coil instead of a straight line. I still use and like them, mostly small Browning reels. BUT I very much like the in-line reels!!!! The line comes off them straight and w/o curl because it feed the line straight out like the spool on a fly reel or tip-up. The Eagle Claw Ice Reels are the cheapest. I have several but I also have a couple of these Premium Eagle claws, "Wright & McGill Tony Roach In-line Ice Reel”  and a  Black Betty 6061 Inline.  They are a bit more pricey and there are others that are even MORE pricey. I found them this summer for nearly half price. With the inlines I have. last years line was still straight and limp, while the stuff on the spinning reels needed to be changed due to coming off like a spring. I still pull line down for better comtol in wind and in lower freezing temps. That free spin on the in-lines needs to be paid attention too, or you WILL have a mess. One of the reasons I often hand feed the line....

Also, if you get the in-lines I mentioned, always check the nuts that hold the spool on and that are the push button line release. They tend to get loose, fall off never to be seen again.

Using tungsten and lures that aren’t prone to spin will also help deter line coiling. You’ll have to deal with multiple fish spinning the one up though ;)

Hope some of that is helpful and that others chime in. I’ve leaned a lot form guys like bee and MG39!  :bow: :thumbsup: :icefish:
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline kguerrette

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2015, 09:20 AM »
I don't care about price, but Thank you clam farmer for responding, I will try these options. experience is everything.

If unsure of conditions on early Ice, always go with guys bigger than you. Let them go on first........

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2015, 09:48 AM »
As Clam said. I fish 2 -3 lb line. I have the eagle claw but don,t use them much anymore. Decent quality ultra light reels. Rods are something you have to feel out. Something in the Noodle rod area. Limber tip. I have been using what is known as a Flat Rod. Sportsman Direct has them. As always move move move.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline Dankenstein

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2015, 10:07 AM »
I just started using the Abu Garcia Veritas Ice Rod with an Abu Ice reel. I am sure it is intermediate when mixing in with you pros but the difference is clear.  I got the rod based on reviews from some Midwestern pan fisherman. The review mentioned how well it transferred the fish from the tip to the backbone. I had never even considered thinking that deep into how my jig rod performed. After using it a few times that review is true, it is turning out to be a decent rod. 
We had used the end of season deep discount cheapos in the past but this weekend my buddy picked up my jig rod while I was tending to other needs and immediately asked if it was new and mentioned how much different and better it seemed than the ones we had been using, so I guess it really does make a difference.

Offline kguerrette

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2015, 11:04 AM »
OK men I took your info and ordered another 2 rods and reels and line I hope this works out better. I hit ponds with lots of crappy but just couldn't set it up with the right equipment. I know flasher works. Now I guess its a tackle thing I'm working on now. Thank you all.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2015, 11:39 AM »
kent the ht ice blue 36in. rod w/ the eagle claw tony roach series inline reel spooled w/ 4lb. seagar is what i use for panfish. i use the 30in. version in the shack for smelt. they are a cheap rod but i find have the best action and at $8-10 a piece it won't hurt as much if you break one. i have several. anything mentioned on here works good tho. as the crappie masters have proven!  ;)  don't let that go to your head there bee! inlines are great as you can use even cheap line and still get no coil. i also put a swivel about 18in. up to help w/ any line twist.  when you have some time off let me know. ill head down for 3-4 days and help you put a hurtin' on em'! ;D.

Offline cap

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2015, 12:58 PM »
My set-up is: 
1) a very Noodley ultra light rod (like Bee)....
2) an in line reel (like Clammie)...
3) extra extra sharp hooks 
and 4) uber limp mono line with some stretch....ultra premium ..... .006 diameter but with 5 pound test strength...basically fly fishing tippet material.....

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2015, 02:33 PM »
OK men I took your info and ordered another 2 rods and reels and line I hope this works out better. I hit ponds with lots of crappy but just couldn't set it up with the right equipment. I know flasher works. Now I guess its a tackle thing I'm working on now. Thank you all.

Your located in the Crappie Kingdom.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2015, 03:19 PM »

Don't over think this too much. Its fishing

Offline TheOutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2015, 05:04 PM »
Can't beat P-Line CX Premium 2-lb test and my rather old black with a red tip end South Bend (I think it's a Microlite).  Can't find a rod that I like better (most don't have the right combination of flexibility and rod butt strength for crappie fishing while hooking the occasional bigger fish), and they sure don't make those any more.
"If firearms cause crimes and kill people, all of the ones I have must be defective."

Offline cap

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2015, 11:02 AM »
I like the P-line CX line too.

But I  seem to prefer the knot strength of Tectan, particularly in the smaller diameter line sizes that I use for panfish through the ice...I also think it has a little more shock adsorption quality to it, and that works well with my noodley tipped rods that somehow have enough backbone to work when I want them to.

The price is about the same for both

Some popular ice lines just seem too brittle at least IMHO. (brittle being a hard thing to describe but it is what it is in my book)

I think line is more important than most folks.

Magnathin, Excaliber, Sunline and Stroft are other small diameter lines....

the thing is this...it isn't just the line...or the reel or the rod....it is the way all of them work together....I play around a lot with different stuff and different set-ups and seem to be lucky finding combinations that work together well...at least for me...

I think it is useful to hear different gear discussions but eventually it all comes down to what the individual himself feels is the best set-up for where and how he fishes....it is easy to over think this stuff....it is afterall just fishing...and you can make most stuff work...I enjoy finding the sweet spot for my stuff...but I'm sure regular old Stren or Trilene or whatever is on sale can be made to work....just like an old fashioned hand line could work too.

I like mono with stretch for alot of fishing applications while in others I'd like the zero stretch that braid provides...or flouro for it's "invisibleness" and "sinkability"...

It just depends.....

Offline kguerrette

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2015, 04:00 AM »
Don't over think this too much. Its fishing
when you go out with three rods and everything tangles and spring gs you get frustrated. I go out to fish not fight with equipment.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2015, 05:11 AM »
when you go out with three rods and everything tangles and spring gs you get frustrated. I go out to fish not fight with equipment.

I carry 6 - 8 rods depending on the plan for the day. I load them with proven jigs and favorite variations. If you get a break off, tangle, want to chafe lures or can’t see the eyelet to tie a new not, you are ready to go! There are guys that use bow cases and some use rod cases you can buy, I got this one and modified it some. I think the bow cases may work best. With mine and the rods  have, things have to go back where they where.
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline kguerrette

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2015, 09:53 PM »
I carry 6 - 8 rods depending on the plan for the day. I load them with proven jigs and favorite variations. If you get a break off, tangle, want to chafe lures or can’t see the eyelet to tie a new not, you are ready to go! There are guys that use bow cases and some use rod cases you can buy, I got this one and modified it some. I think the bow cases may work best. With mine and the rods  have, things have to go back where they where.

lol I just order one just like that.  And I guess I'll have to get some wine too.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #15 on: Jan 24, 2015, 05:34 AM »
lol I just order one just like that.  And I guess I'll have to get some wine too.

That’s Belgian Ale  ;D

I attached the velcro with rivets. Gorilla glued on the sponge rod retainers. Everything just plops out of it isn’t well stuck on there. I had to drill holes in the ends to accommodate mu 36” rods.

The cases do help prevent tangle and congested pack baskets.

Offline Flagaddict

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2015, 10:01 AM »
Do you have a swivel at the end of the spool line and then a length of leader with the jig tied to it, or do you tie the jig right to the end of the spool line?

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2015, 10:07 AM »
Segar Gatsu 6lb test  No memory.... Small trolling reel.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Jan 24, 2015, 10:08 AM »
Do you have a swivel at the end of the spool line and then a length of leader with the jig tied to it, or do you tie the jig right to the end of the spool line?

A good ball bearing swivel eliminates line twist on spinning reels ...line twist is the enemy of horizontal jigs ...if it spins no one wins ...also don't forget a good dead stick set up ...just drill another hole next to your hot hole ..can keep them in the area as you switch baits or land fish 
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline MadSledder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 24, 2015, 06:45 PM »
That is a sweet looking rod case. I really dig the setup.
Gotta Fishem' All!

Offline kguerrette

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 26, 2015, 08:57 AM »
Bee I bought those flat rod on Sportsman direct. They were on clearance for $9.99 I order 2 and they worked fantastic with blackbetty reels thank you so much Bee and Clamfarmer. It made a world of difference. Tied me some bucktail jigs and I can't be happier!. People on this site are awesome.

Offline kguerrette

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 26, 2015, 08:59 AM »
Also used green light light the other night, just saying I caught enough to keep me fileting for 2 hours!

Offline CARPPY

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 26, 2015, 09:24 AM »
Hey clamfarmer where did you get that case? I need one of those.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.