Author Topic: Heading to Kakinagimak Lake this a.m.  (Read 2772 times)

Offline 350 Mag

• Team IceShanty Regular
Heading to Kakinagimak Lake this a.m.
« on: Jan 20, 2015, 08:04 AM »
First day off since New Years....finally time to get some fishing in.

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS
Re: Heading to Kakinagimak Lake this a.m.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2015, 09:24 AM »
yeah...good luck ..be safe

Offline Fishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2015, 01:09 PM »
Lucky.. I wish .. I'm hoping to make it up there this year such a nice ride out there. Where do you fish there. I heard out in front of the cabin there is good for Lakers.

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack is always toasty, Beer is always cold.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2015, 03:40 PM »
Dam, that's a long ways North, North of Flin Flon even. What is the target in that lake? Walleye, Lake Trout? Is there an outfitter off of that lake? I assume fly in only? Didn't see any roads.

Offline 350 Mag

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2015, 08:06 PM »
Fishing  was  slow  but  o.k....between 3  of  us  12  wallys, and  2  nice  Trout....fishing  at  North  end....weather  was  decent, good  trip.  30 miles  one way  on  sleds.

Offline ggpr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2015, 09:53 PM »
I don't have a snowmobile but that sounds like a pretty awesome trip.  Cold you show/describe where the trail starts to get into the lake?  I love the idea of getting into hard to access lakes that in my mind seem like they could offer awesome fishing experiences due to fish that are not commonly presented with lures.  Also i think it is pretty awesome to have a lake that contains both walleye and lake trout, doesn't seem to be all that common, at least of the lakes i know.

Do you think the trail would be suitable to take a 14 ft aluminum boat in on a trailer pulled behind a quad?  I am debating between getting a quad or a snowmobile for my next toy purchase (that would assist my fishing addiction).  I have a nice little 14 foot aluminum lund with a pretty reliable 10 hp motor on it.  I like the idea of being able to quad it into remote lakes that are hard to access, or dropping it in a river closer to saskatoon.  I am not sure how realistic my idea of being able to quad a boat into many lakes is realistic?? Can anyone with experience going into quad/snowmobile access lakes comment on whether being able to bring a 14 ft boat in without issues would be pretty common to lakes that are accessed by trail?

If getting the boat into those kind of lakes easily would be a rare occurrence then perhaps i am better off with a snowmobile to vastly improve the places i can access through the whole winter, both in the north on trails and even in the south when the snow is too deep to drive the truck out or walking to the good spots becomes overly tedious.

Thanks for any comments,

Good luck out there everyone!

Offline 350 Mag

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2015, 10:58 PM »
I don't have a snowmobile but that sounds like a pretty awesome trip.  Cold you show/describe where the trail starts to get into the lake?  I love the idea of getting into hard to access lakes that in my mind seem like they could offer awesome fishing experiences due to fish that are not commonly presented with lures.  Also i think it is pretty awesome to have a lake that contains both walleye and lake trout, doesn't seem to be all that common, at least of the lakes i know.

Do you think the trail would be suitable to take a 14 ft aluminum boat in on a trailer pulled behind a quad?  I am debating between getting a quad or a snowmobile for my next toy purchase (that would assist my fishing addiction).  I have a nice little 14 foot aluminum lund with a pretty reliable 10 hp motor on it.  I like the idea of being able to quad it into remote lakes that are hard to access, or dropping it in a river closer to saskatoon.  I am not sure how realistic my idea of being able to quad a boat into many lakes is realistic?? Can anyone with experience going into quad/snowmobile access lakes comment on whether being able to bring a 14 ft boat in without issues would be pretty common to lakes that are accessed by trail?

If getting the boat into those kind of lakes easily would be a rare occurrence then perhaps i am better off with a snowmobile to vastly improve the places i can access through the whole winter, both in the north on trails and even in the south when the snow is too deep to drive the truck out or walking to the good spots becomes overly tedious.

Thanks for any comments,

Good luck out there everyone!

Not  possible  with  quad  in  summer,  there  is  at  least  5 portages, 3  lakes. Swamps and  a  couple  of  pothole  lakes.

Maybe  with  an  argo  with  a  roof  rack?

Most  guys  leave  their  boats  at  different  lakes all  ywar  round,   I  have  never  fished  it  in  Summer, and  there  aint  alot  of  boats  on it.

Water  is  clear , 140ft  deep, 40 miles long and  you  can drink water  right out of lake.

I  have  3  boats  at  3  different  remote  lakes, 1  really  remote,  that  I  rarely  use.

I guess  I  am  lucky  I  live  in  Creighton,  but  we  have  very  little  else  up  here  besides  lakes, no  modern  conveniences  like  S'toon.

Offline ggpr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2015, 12:12 AM »
Ahhh yea, i used to work with a guy originally from flin flon and he too had boats stashed away at remote lakes.  I definitely wish i could do something like that and lived close enough to regularly use them.  But like you said there are positives and negatives to living in lake land vs moderate sized or larger cities.

In a dream world i could afford to own/rent a plane and fly out to boats stashed at lakes.  I would settle for even just building or purchasing a remote northern cabin that is on a lake where the launch is off good road and the cabin is boat in.  Property like that seems so damn hard to find for sale (if they are they generally are asking $300,000+!!) and the government of saskatchewan seems to be really tight on letting people having access to new developments south of the 56th parallel.  I have looked into it and you can easily get a small plot of land very cheaply as long as its north of the 56th parallel (i believe).  the problem is that going that far north is like at least 6 to 8 hours every direction you can go that far north.

We checked out brabant lake a few summers ago to scout out cabin locations as it is one of the first lakes that crosses the 56th going north (about 2/3 of the lake is North of the line).  But we couldnt find much info at all about it prior to heading out there and it turned out that it was mainly a pike lake without any wally (apparently from what we experienced and were told by locals in the area).  We couldnt go that far to just do pike.  The other lake we considered was Waddy lake as we heard it had lakers, walleye and pike.  Sadly the launch there was not suitable for anything other than an aluminum fishing boat you could lift off a trailer at the time we were there.  The water at the launch was only a foot or so deep for quite a distance out into the lake with mud rather than gravel surface even.

There are some good lakes up there like reindeer that i know are good lakes and have reliable access so i guess i could still do that if i got to the point where i was ready to do it but had not found anything closer.

The only other thing i could find about getting land from the government at a reasonable cost besides in the provincial parks system (most of which i assume puts u in subdivisions) was one web release about remote lots at dickens and lamp lakes and the macbeth channel near buffalo narrows.

http://www.gov.sk.ca/news?newsId=de37983b-88ba-4b81-8cad-7101a2d8f5c1

i have no clue why or when they did or might do something like this again.  Something like this would be ideal.  the province of manitoba has a great system called  "First-Come, First-Served Cottage Lot Program" where i believe the government partners with builders to provide road access and some utilities to subdivison on great lakes (especially up in the flin flon area) at very reasonable costs.  i believe i seen lakefront lots  at lake athapapuskow for like $14000 and wekusko lakefront for $3200.

I wish saskatchewan would do something like that with lakes in the churchill river system watershed that is within the range of 400-600 km of saskatoon (i am greedy for my own convenience lol).  I definitely would prefer it to be a limited program with only a handful of lots at each lake, and wouldnt even need it to be serviced.  But there are so many lakes that a decent percent of the population could have access to affordable land to cottage on while not crowding  each other out or over stressing the local environment.

Sorry for my tangent rant... I just wish i could easily access more quality northern lakes or have my own place to get away to up there at a reasonable cost haha

Offline 350 Mag

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2015, 07:30 AM »
Yes, SERM, doesnt  seem  to want anymore cabins.?.??

I would like remote cabin as well, but  they are  rarely advertised, and usually change hands quickly....

Offline Broom Jockey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2015, 08:03 AM »
In remote locations that is partly true because they don't want to maintain any more roads.  Sask has around triple the amount of grid roads Manitoba has and with the current state of highways and grids they can't maintain what we already have.
The second thing to consider when getting a cabin in the north country is the Trappers Association.  If you aren't in good with the locals you will not get permission for a cabin, even if SE has already approved it.
Early to bed...early to rise...fish all day...make up lies.

Offline ggpr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2015, 02:27 PM »
In my mind if they offer up boat in lots on lakes that already have access there is no costs for them, the government only stands to make money?  I know they do provide surveying for the lots if you get them north of the 56th, but aside from that and some paperwork i don't think there would be any major costs like roads and maintenance etc.

Do you care to elaborate on the trappers association and how them or any locals might impact any of this?  My understanding from the government was if i wanted to do this north of the 56th parallel i had to follow there rules and it was not too hard to get...

Offline 350 Mag

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2015, 08:07 PM »
Our snowmobile club couldn't even get permission for a warm-up shelter on sask side....it is pretty pathetic up here.

Offline sandman66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2015, 09:46 PM »
Got my cabin 10 years ago back when SERM used the bidding process. Its 130km north of La Ronge. Either portage or fly in. Snowmobile in the winter. Won't say what I paid but its probably worth 10 times the cheque I wrote.

Offline ggpr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2015, 10:19 PM »
That is awesome sandman, i remember reading about yours and maybe briefly talking to you about it on fishingsaskatchewan..  Did you buy the cabin or build yourself.  That looks awesome!  So jealous haha

I just wish i had the opportunity to build something like that myself on affordable land so it could be done at  a reasonable cost for an average person.  I guess i do have the option to to do that north of the 56th... but i would love something i could justify going to regularly on the weekends

edit-typo

Offline sandman66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2015, 09:32 PM »
Cabin was built in the late 80's. Truthfully if anything it is too big for our needs. Takes lots of work to keep it up and is a pain to heat in the winter. If I was 20 years younger I would tear it down and rebuild on the footings, a single storey and out of lumber, not logs. Its too far to go to on a regular weekend but we spend a few long weekends every year plus a couple longer trips. If I had the cash I would live there spring till fall and head south for the winter.

Offline ggpr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2015, 10:25 PM »
If i had cash i would be doing the exact same thing as your thinking!

Do you get to know other remote cabin owners in the area and perhaps even on other nearby lakes?  If you ever heard of anyone wanting to get rid of there cabin you can pm me anytime!

There was a sweet island one for sale a while back at nemeiben, a main cabin with a wrap around deck connecting to a second bunk house and the boat dock.  It had a beautiful stone fire place and wasnt too big but man was it quality.  sadly they wanted $300,000 for it... however compared to what some people i have (rarely) seen selling theres for, it was a better deal compared to what some people had asked for lower quality cabins.

I think i saw one for sale also on an island at la ronge, it was pretty damn awesome too but it was in that $300,000+ range too.  i don't know how any regular people can afford basically own two houses!  At least not a younger guy like me maybe.  Ill keep dreaming!

Offline 350 Mag

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 23, 2015, 06:32 AM »
Why not just buy a cabin at Jan Lake?

http://www.kijiji.ca/b-saskatchewan/cabins-for-sale/k0l9009

There are 2 nice ones for sale there right now for 150,000.

Using Jan as a staging point you can literally hit 100 prime fishing lakes within 1 hours drive.

Fishing on Jan for small Walleye is Excellent in Spring and Early Summer. 

Offline sandman66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 23, 2015, 09:52 AM »
There was and might still be a sweet looking place at Sled Lake, north of Big River. Sled only has Pike I believe but same thing, countless lakes in the area for every species you can think of. Plus its on the grid, and even water supply. Its on kijiji but I don't know how to post links. I would gladly trade straight across for it, I could go almost every weekend, especially since I usually do a 4 day work week.
One nice thing about our place is the solitude. We can go for days without seeing anyone, and 9 days out of 10 I am the only one fishing the lake.

Sorry about taking this thread off topic a bit, prob should have made a new one.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2015, 10:03 PM »
 you are one lucky dude sandman.   real piece of paradise there.

Offline ggpr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 23, 2015, 11:32 PM »
I checked out those cabins at sled and jan lake and there are some pretty nice places for a fair price... i however would definitely prefer lake front, and if possible prefer a remote location.  not really into the subdivision type set ups.  i would be ok being along a shore line with neighbors on either side but a remote boat in cabin would be so awesome (albeit much harder to build).  I am not in any rush to buy a existing cabin right now but i would definitely acquire land and start building over a few years if i could get cheap land from the government or wherever.  I think it would be a blast to go up for a couple weeks every summer and maybe do a few supply runs in winter and spend time working on the cabin and spend some free time fishing.  Me and my buddies have talked about trying to each get land at the same lake, maybe even share and island.  And we could all go up in a group and build each others cabins together one by one.  Staying in the first one after its built while building the next ones etc.

I really love the set up they have at slims cabins boat in outposts.  I dont think it would be unrealistically hard at all to build a simple cabin out of lumber like what they have for the ones i have seen of theirs (camerons pt and scotties beach).  Basically being up at slims has made me desire to have my own place like what they have.

However the idea of using a cabin as a base camp to explore other lakes (having good road access at the cabin) is pretty cool too.

I have also fished Jan Lake a bit and i really like it there.  I am going with my dad and uncle in june this year(they are 10 year+ veterans of fishing jan but havent been the last couple) , I will be going to slims in may for our annual guys trip.

Those are some great pictures sandman!  I think i am going to do my second annual birthday canoe trip up in your area this july.  How deep do you think the lakers would be in the lakes around your cabin on July long weekend on a typical year?  I am debating between going on a route with walleye/pike at that time versus going on the lakes in your area that are mostly laker/pike lakes.  I know the McLennan lake loop should be a really beautiful route and i believe the portages are not too long so i can get more friends out who will enjoy a bit less portaging than we did last year (lynx, sulphide, mekewap, contact lake route).

My only concern is if the lakers will be too deep to try and fish for out of a canoe... I guess we can always try jigging but staying still can be a big issue in a canoe depending on the weather.  No way we are portaging anchors either lol!  Last year i brought a basketball net and a rope with some clips, and i just wrapped the net around the rock and rigged it up as a disposable/replaceable anchor.   Its too bad that i think i am too busy to get out canoeing earlier in june.  It is however a canoe trip, so fishing isn't the main priority... its hard to accept that though lol.

I assume the pike fishing is pretty good??  Looks like you have caught at least one nice one :)

have a good one everyone!

Offline sandman66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 24, 2015, 08:59 AM »
The portages on the Mclennen-Davis-Minuhik-Versailles lakes are generally shorter than the Lynx-Contact trip, but the lakes are quite a bit bigger. Lots of decent places to camp along the way, especially on the islands if you look for them. If you go I can try to send you info on a couple good spots to camp and fish on Davis. In July the trout can be all over depth wise - as a rule I troll with pink ladys which might be tough while paddling a canoe. That time of year I think you will still find some 10-30 ft down so you would need to troll lures that will get that far. I have tried jigging and dragging smelts deep but never seem to have much luck. As for pike in my lake you really need to concentrate on the small bays, the best action is in the far north of the lake which is a ways from the canoe route. That pike was landed about 500 meters from our cabin, casting a heavy spoon to the shore from the boat . It is easily the biggest one I have caught there. One of my buddies kids caught one about 15lb off the dock in the above picture, and I have a few around 10lbs. Those trout pictured aren't typical by any means, they average around 3lbs or so. Our cabin record is just under 24lb, buddy caught it about 8 years ago. Gotta be bigger ones out there, somethings giving birth to the small ones.

Offline ggpr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 25, 2015, 01:51 AM »
I sent you a PM sandman, rather than continuing going way off topic.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.