The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Flip over or pop out  (Read 1682 times)

Offline Fenwick307

• Team IceShanty Regular
Flip over or pop out
« on: Jan 19, 2015, 10:54 PM »
Have to get a new shanty. Anyone had both? Which is better

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Flip over or pop out
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2015, 11:16 PM »
I have both and use the flip more often. A one-man thermal Clam. I use it more as a sled and will flip it every now and then. With a good ice suit, you'll find you are more on the move and stay pretty warm when outside. If it's windy, or I want to stay in one spot for awhile I'll normally get it.

The pop-up is a very nice Jason Mitchell 5000 Thermal and I highly recommend it if you're looking for one. I only take it when I have others coming with me, or when there are kids involved, and multiple moves ice-trolling are not what they have in mind. A Buddy Jr keeps the frost off when needed.

Both are nice and both serve different purposes in my mind. Take into consideration how you best like to fish. Mobile, or stationary? Weight, portability, etc. and then choose what fits you best. Or better yet, eventually have both to choose from when you need them!

Offline Gatorslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2015, 11:41 PM »
I have a 2-3 man flip style Eskimo. Had it for years. Only thing busted on it is a couple plastic clips on one of five support poles. I love the sled part of the portable to stow all of my gear. Also, I trailer it from my buggy. My brother and a buddy of his both have the pop out style portables from Eskimo and have had issues with poles breaking, hub pieces breaking, etc. Plus, no storage in a pop out. Maybe stuff a six pack in the bag it comes in. Their going in together on a newer flip style. Both styles are quick to setup and tear down depending on how many tiedown screws you need to use (2 for my flip portable through sled, up to 6 for pop out), block the elements, and trap heat. If and/or when i have to get a new portable, it'll be a flip style. Hope this helps with your decision.

Offline remme280

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2015, 06:41 AM »
otter flip over. hands down. If you have the budget and a machine, the Lodge XT1200 is the best thing out there in my opinion.
Remme

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2015, 06:48 AM »
Got a Cabela's 2-3 man pop-out, and also the insulated Eskimo Fatfish 949i.  Extemely impressed with both models, and haven't encountered any problems yet.  The hub design uses like a very efficient use of space and makes for easy setup/takedown.  I don't have any experience with the flip-overs; the included sled seems like a nice aspect, but redundant if you already pull your gear behind your snowmobile.

Offline NeFiShNeTiMe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2015, 07:50 AM »
I use a eskimo wide 1 inferno one man. That's my main setup easy to move quickly. I bought a pop up for when the kids go. They are in no way quick to set up or take down for moving purposes but good to have both.
Ezyjiggin101

Offline Sawtooth

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2015, 01:17 PM »
I have both.  when there are more than two going, I use the hub.  But otherwise, the flip is by far my preference for ease of set up and take down (esp in wind), and for mobility when I've picked a slow spot and want to relocate.
There is no such thing as bad weather - only bad clothing.

Offline Fryinpan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2015, 05:20 PM »

Well said Sawtooth... my thoughts also  :tipup:

Offline Fenwick307

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2015, 07:02 PM »
Thanks guys- got a frabill trekker fold over! I was sold after sawtooth mentioned how they handle in the wind

Offline Badger_Ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2015, 08:00 PM »
I chose a flip over because of wind also.  Had my flip mo2 out Sunday in some pretty good wind and as long as someone was in a seat we were pretty solid.  Saw a pop-up that was sufficiently tied down, but there was a noticeable "indent" on the windward side.

Offline Sawtooth

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2015, 07:35 AM »
Thanks guys- got a frabill trekker fold over! I was sold after sawtooth mentioned how they handle in the wind

Good choice, but you need to make some modifications for wind.  I learned on here that some eyebolts need to be put on the back side (big washers on the inside of the sled).  I actually added an additional one on one of the ends of the sled as well.  Then, when wind is a factor,  drill a few stakes into the ice and use some short straps so you don't get a free ride across the ice.

Offline Goodnight

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2015, 08:28 AM »
I have one of the cabelas pop up's. It works great.  If the wind gets 30+ it does not work as well as a flip over, but other than that is awesome. Holds the heat very well. Super easy set up and take down.
To those who are about to fish, I salute you!

Offline wyoicenut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2015, 08:35 AM »
I have clam flip over and a clam pop up. prefer the flip over. especially in the wind.

Offline Eyefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2015, 04:24 PM »
I had an Eskimo quick flip and liked it  but I am 6' 4" and it was hard to stand up in. I have an Eskimo fatfish now and there is plenty of room.

Offline iceholeaddict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2015, 05:16 PM »
I have the Eskimo quick fish 6. Its been good for the last couple seasons and the size is nice to keep the kids contained on the cold days.

Offline RonH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2015, 06:00 PM »
Thanks for all the great info everyone. Would love to have a flip over next time I get out.

Offline Fenwick307

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 21, 2015, 08:23 PM »
Sawtooth- are the tabs up on the front and back not good enough to stake the thing down?

Offline coldoutside

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 21, 2015, 09:05 PM »
Stake it down good, I have a FRABIL flip, I stake the back and both side, you get out and wind comes up they move around good. I put eye hooks on the bottom, easy to do and not in the way. Better off with too many tie downs than chase your house across the ice.

Offline Sawtooth

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 21, 2015, 11:17 PM »
Sawtooth- are the tabs up on the front and back not good enough to stake the thing down?

I was out in 50 mph wind in Dec and one of the tabs ripped off quite quickly.  With two or three eyebolts down low on the sled, and straps going out at angles, it won't go anywhere. You don't want the sled to slide much.  The top may flap around a little, but remains intact.  If you do use the tabs, I recommend you run a snort piece of cord through them and tie knots, and tie onto them to the ground.  I think it lessens the strain.

Offline IceHutt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep & bear arms.Assume nothing.Fish & hunt often!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 22, 2015, 11:02 PM »
My flipover works better for runnin and gunnin but The popup is better if in one location and to keep the grandkids warm. :)    Buy some Clam ice anchors and drill holes in the flipover for eyebolts and fender washers to tie ropes or straps onto. ;)  The main thing is to GET OUT THERE AND ENJOY ! ;D  Happy trails !

Offline bjacks35

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 23, 2015, 01:48 PM »
i like the ones with a floor so your feet dont get so cold

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.