The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Making the switch  (Read 2047 times)

Offline BobP

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Making the switch
« on: Jan 19, 2015, 11:10 AM »
Despite having the gas auger worked on and running very nicely last season, this season, it is hard to start, runs poorly and the gas is leaking out of it.  Guessing the ethanol has gotten to it.  Order went in for an Ion auger which should be here in time for next weekend.

Probably an easy fix on the gas auger but I making the change.  Anyone want a jiffy legend 8" gas auger/ Make me an offer.

Offline bassaddict 21

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Making the switch
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2015, 12:24 PM »
I'm sure you will love the Ion, I've heard a lot of good things about it. I have the K-drill and love it, i'm pretty sure the Ion cuts even faster and can get more holes out of a charge.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2015, 12:47 PM »
I had an Ion, great auger. In the end I sold it after I started using my drill auger. Does the same job with half the weight.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline NanookofN-MN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2015, 12:53 PM »
If you were closer I would be tempted to give you an offer
I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do. – Izaak Walton

Offline mrip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2015, 12:54 PM »
How old is the jiffy

Offline BobP

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2015, 01:57 PM »
Not sure of age, maybe 7-9 yrs.  Jiffy Legend Lighting Model 77.  I'm betting it needs a new fuel line.  Has not been heavily used since I don't drill a lot of holes. and since being on the cape for the past 3 years, there is not a long season of ice worth using a power auger.

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2015, 04:21 PM »
I'll give you a hamburger for the auger!

"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2015, 05:00 PM »
Here ya go Bob, I don't think you'll be disappointed! Watch "Quick Review of the ION Ice Auger" on YouTube
Quick Review of the ION Ice Auger:

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2015, 09:41 PM »
I have a Meon -auger.

It's a hand auger, with me on it!!!  ;D
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline mrip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2015, 04:53 PM »
I'm interested in the auger I have a jiffy 10 in.  I would like an 8 in. I'm near Springfield do you come out this way to fish ? maybe we can meet up and check it out  :tipup:

Offline BobP

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2015, 09:19 PM »
Auger is sold.  Thanks for the interet.
Bob

Offline bassmaster mike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2015, 10:02 PM »
Love my Ion!!!    :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You won't be disappointed.

Offline sangell

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2015, 05:37 PM »
I got the Clam cordless drill adaptor this year and very happy with. Home Depot did a mass buy sale on Dewalt 20 volt drills for $100 so hooked that up. Once I figured out taking the battery off when not in use and putting it with my spare to keep it warm in my parka on the inside I have not gotten past the first battery. The are so slim anyway. Last Saturday drilled 20-25 holes and bailed out a fellow fishermen who pulled his cord so all told about 30 Thu 8-9". Easy light and effective.

Offline mr tip up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2015, 03:59 PM »
ion all the way
what is and what should never be

Offline Jay Fat City

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That Dummy Out on the Ice By Himself
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2015, 08:22 AM »
I got the Clam cordless drill adaptor this year and very happy with. Home Depot did a mass buy sale on Dewalt 20 volt drills for $100 so hooked that up. Once I figured out taking the battery off when not in use and putting it with my spare to keep it warm in my parka on the inside I have not gotten past the first battery. The are so slim anyway. Last Saturday drilled 20-25 holes and bailed out a fellow fishermen who pulled his cord so all told about 30 Thu 8-9". Easy light and effective.

What size holes do you drill? 4", 6", or 8"
  <=== On my car, on my sled, on my soul!

Offline sangell

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 03, 2015, 01:40 PM »
Hi Jay,

I drill 6" holes, thinking of upgrading to 8" but 6" has been fine to date and have gone elbows deep a few times to pull 5+ lb'rs out. I did not drill many last Saturday as the wind was beating us up a bit but no problems again thru 9"+. Obviously it is slower than gas, but plenty fast, and if some of this snow disappears I am looking at chasing some trout at Walden, or Whites and there is no gas allowed there. I'd much rather have to deal with a couple spare batteries in my ice suit than make room for gas on my sled any day. Just my preference....

Scott

Offline Jay Fat City

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That Dummy Out on the Ice By Himself
« Reply #16 on: Feb 03, 2015, 02:26 PM »
Makes sense. I ran into a guy in Vermont with a drill attachment, but he cut 4 inch holes. My hand auger is 8 inches in diameter and he thought that the drill would crap out after about a hole and a half.

With good blades, I can cut really fast. With bad blades, it's like cutting with my teeth.
  <=== On my car, on my sled, on my soul!

Offline sangell

• Team IceShanty Regular
!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 03, 2015, 02:30 PM »
I think you'd be fine at 8" too, the trick is just keeping the batteries warm which is easy. What I really like so far is I don't think twice about moving, just go, and at the end of last season with 14" ice I have to admit that just was not the case. If you like company as I do it is a darn popular item to have on the sled to get some friends to join me. My only regret is being stubborn and not doing it sooner.....

Good luck out there!

Scott

Offline Dangatang

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 04, 2015, 01:58 PM »
I've always used a hand auger (6" Nils and 7" Lazer), but changed to the Milwaukee Fuel / 7" Lazer this season with Clam adapter. Worked mint - I cut >20 holes through 8" of ice last weekend on half a battery (keeping battery in pocket when not in use). I chose the Clam because the drill has so much torque; and it didn't fail.

My only complaint: the Clam seizes up a little in the cold and it doesn't let off the drill trigger smoothly. Other than that it performed great. Good luck!
How come you put a staple in your lip?

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #19 on: Feb 04, 2015, 02:22 PM »
I've always used a hand auger (6" Nils and 7" Lazer), but changed to the Milwaukee Fuel / 7" Lazer this season with Clam adapter. Worked mint - I cut >20 holes through 8" of ice last weekend on half a battery (keeping battery in pocket when not in use). I chose the Clam because the drill has so much torque; and it didn't fail.

My only complaint: the Clam seizes up a little in the cold and it doesn't let off the drill trigger smoothly. Other than that it performed great. Good luck!
.           Trigger adjustment, also sprayed wd40 on the rubber that trigger assembly goes thru!!

Offline jonserfishswansea

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 04, 2015, 06:05 PM »
I have a Meon -auger.

It's a hand auger, with me on it!!!  ;D
:roflmao: :thumbsup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.